Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    Seriously has been one of those weeks....
    husband has been a ------ .....Sorry guys but you really do get PMS..
    spent a day in the ER with granddaughter she's really sick with high fever.
    blew a tire going to work only to find I have no spare.

Have to keep telling myself ...Cheer up, it could be worse....

Good luck to the easter hatchers, I will be sitting ths one out....waiting to see what summer brings for housing..will be watching what others hatch, would take a few ducks or guineas.......maybe a few turkeys of small breeds, might keep my own flock going if I find a small breed I like, looking to keep them under 20 pds.

Betta...I have been looking into soap making, $$$$$$ can you point me in the right direction for supplies and instructions...I am about half way thru the huge thread on here.

2. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I started with Bramble Berry. Lye there are a few, I think the chemistry store? There's one called essential something? I'm getting fuzzy on them. I buy bulk when they have really good sales, so I rarely order, lol. I get colorants on ebay, but don't use ebay for fragrance/essential oils, as you just don't know what they've done to them. Using suppliers is nice because you'll get the same quality. You can buy one scent from five suppliers and they might all react differently and smell different, lol.

3. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Oh, bramble I only use for a few scents now and some supplies. Wholesalesuppliesplus.com is okay, but make sure you do comparison shopping, because they can be a total rip off too. I think naturesgarden, aromahaven and one other are okay for fragrance oils.

I need my coffee, maybe my brain will unfog.

4. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Okay, farmers! have you heard of "Gurney's"? It sounds like a great nursery. They do seem a little confused, though. They are located in Indiana. Their customer service is located in India. At least I could understand 90% of what she was saying. Americans need jobs. I wonder why?
    Anyway, I am interested in knowing if anyone uses them.

5. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not Betta, but....

My friend Cyndi Muller has a good tutorial here. http://mullerslanefarm.com/soapmaking.html http://millersoap.com/ is another great site.

You can make nice soap with basic grocery store ingredients like lard, olive and coconut oils. Lowes and many hardware local stores have lye. For your first experimental batches, you can use essential oils from the health food store. Make small batches to start, so you can make many of them, rather than a single huge batch. Recipes can be resized using an online soap calculator like this one. http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp

If by chance you keep old issues of Lancaster Farming, there was an article about me, with recipes, in May 2011.

2 people like this.
  6. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
  7. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania

Not yet, but bathing a chicken is on my "to do" list today! : )

8. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    heard of them, years ago, about 40, i did buy a green rose bush from them, nothing since tho, and believe it or not, that rose bush is still alive or was before the cold weather hit

9. BullChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  10. BullChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by