Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. henchandelier

henchandelier Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Beagllady,

How much are you asking per bird? How old are they?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. lilyfish

lilyfish New Egg

Mar 5, 2012
    Anyone going to Root's Small Animal auction this Saturday in Manheim PA? April 14, 2012 10am to about 4pm.

I am not able to go, always wanted to, haven't made it yet. I understand they will be selling poultry equipment as well.

Link for direction:

http://www.rootsmarket.com/events.asp

I hope to get to the Green Dragon sale in May.

3. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Welcome Jeff & henchandelier!

I've never gotten to roots either..and am of course out of town this weekend.

4. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs

Hi Jeff,
    I'm not from your area, but I really like my Jersey Giant. I keep her just for eggs (you can't eat anyone you've named), but they are not called giants for nothing...hence, a good dual purpose bird. I've also just learned that they are not as prone to broody-ness as, for example, Buff Orps. The BO is also a good, reliable layer (when she's not brooding) and is also a good sized bird. If you are at all concerned about cold-hardiness, the Wyandottes are good, (smaller combs), though not quite as productive, at least by comparison to the Giant and Orp. For personality, my Giant can't be beat, followed by the BO, then the Wyandottes (who are either bossy or aloof.) Hope you find this useful!

mm

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Jeff,
    Hunt up CottageGarden from down your way. She has nice stock and may sell you some.

6. crabclaw

crabclaw New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    Dover PA
    Tony from Dover Pa

7. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Gotta put in my 2 cents for Wyandottes. Most are very nice birds, sweet, good egg layers and nice meat birds. If you get a nasty one, it's more likely a hatchery bird(you never know what they mix in those!). My 9yo carries our roosters around all day long and swings with them on the swingset (good thing they don't get motion sick). The are great for cold weather too [​IMG].

8. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

Welcome Tony..lots of us in this general area!

9. ripituprip

ripituprip Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Hi All,

My name is Bill and I am from Southern York County. Question: How do I go about getting NPIP certification or testing done to actually attend poultry shows? What are the costs? Thanks- Bill

10. Jeff18930

Jeff18930 New Egg

Apr 9, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    Thanks for tips everyone, will post again when we get some birds... probably going to try and track down either Orpington or Wyandotte, as suggested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by