Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. aukuma

aukuma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    W PA
    Oh if I only had the room! Darn it!

2. aukuma

aukuma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    W PA
    rodriguezpoultry if you'd like to make the trip to clarion we are having a buy/sell/swap at Tractor Supply. You may be able to unload some gals there! We've had lots of interest so it should be a great time. Checkout my signature

3. henchandelier

henchandelier Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012

"Rodriguezpoultry"... If you are going to be in the York/Lancaster/Harrisburg area anytime soon, I would possibly be interested in a few of them!

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Actually, this Friday I will be in Collegeville, PA for a certified poultry tester course! Is that anywhere near you?

Hey mama2my4! I know where Julian is! We've gone exploring around this area alot!

Looks like Clarion is about 1 hour and 45 minutes from me. Imma look at your sig line real quick!

Sorry, should have introduced myself on this thread: I'm Mikaela, originally from Oklahoma and just recently moved to PA. Sick of the ticks already, but nice to not have chiggers!

5. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Welcome Rodriguezpoultry!

I don't know what chiggers are, but am glad we don't have em. Ticks schmicks. Have you had your fill of stink bugs yet?

What's this Certified Poultry tester course? Is it too late to sign up? We just joined a newly established 4H poultry club, and I'm sure we're going to need someone certified to test the birds if they want to show. I'd love to know how to do it. ~ Martha

BTW, Beautiful Birds!!

6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I think this round of testing is full, but supposedly they have one next week in Harrisburg and one in the fall in State College. If I had asked a week before, I could have gone to the State College one...but I have to go to the Collegeville as I need it for showing and don't want to have to pay $200 to the people who are up in my area.

Chiggers are little pieces of Hades that are usually in tall grass. They burrow into your skin and itch so bad you want to rip your legs apart (or if you're very unlucky and it's very tall grass, other parts of your body). You can't see them while they're on you...only once the bites/burrows show up in about a day or two. They sell chigger-rid which supposedly gets rid of the itch...it doesn't. One good way to kill them is to use Vinegar and Ammonia. Or you can use nail polish...

Just be glad. They're awful. Stink bugs were ALL over my corn last year! I will never grow corn again! They got all over my tomatoes!!!

I got into contact with Dr. Simeone with the Dept. of Ag.

7. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    People don't want to pay for chickens in PA. We do all this hard work for not so many $$$$$$$. I just want to make enough to pay for them, not be a millionaire!

8. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Amen! In OK, these would have been snatched up already. I refuse to sell fully-feathered, 11 week old chicks for $1. That's ridiculous!

9. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I usually end up keeping mine until 6 months, then I can't take it anymore. I send them to auction, I will usually get $10 for them. Not to bad when you can free range over spring/summer. You have to have the space for it. I have not tried to even sell anything under 3 months this year. When I took the younger ones to auction, I got $1-$3. That was last year, I am trying something new this year, maybe. A mobile processor................................we will see.

10. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Yeah I'm originally from NJ and I got chiggers in the pine barrens. SO happy we don't have them here in PA! But...I have been camping all up and down the east cost and NEVER had an allergic reaction to poison ivy until we moved to this area, around Gettysburg. That's just my luck, only in my back yard!

Anyway, I am super excited to get some new chickens, but I am worried about disease. If all my chickens have been vaccinated for Marek's, is it dangerous to add a new one that has not been? Someone who lives close to me said that none of hers are, and she doesn't have any problems. Has anyone in PA had Marek's in their flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by