Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    June 8th in Sharpsburg, MD

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    YAY Heather!!!

4. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Cha Cha Chad!! I am home as usual!! Just txt if your stopping as I will be in the lower level or outside most morning watering feeding and watching this chick hatch! LOL

5. Blackcrest

Blackcrest Out Of The Brooder

I think my one black chicken shadow as I call here since she follows you around like a shadow and get under your feet as such is either bland or really dumb. I filled up the chicken second water bowl, and the bird just walked into the middle of it and started drinking. Yes the water right now is very warm But it's cold out and sooner or later those chicken toes need to come out.

6. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    EEs (Delaware x Blue Wheaten Ameraucana), Blue/Splash Wheaten & Wheaten Ameraucanas, maybe some Mille Fleur bantam Cochins if they are not sold soon, chocolate Mille Fleur bantam Cochins and I hope the Orps start laying soon! They will be 87% English chocolate/mauve/black/blue Orp babies.

Quote: This is where I get lost with these cabinet bators. So, are you incubating AND hatching at the same time? I saw this once on u-tube where they just moved all the trays down each week and hatched in the bottom tray. I was confused as to how lockdown worked with humidity levels and what-not...

Yeah, I got the 1502. The swap is the only place I hatch for right now. Once I get my flocks where I want them I'll sell via web & ship via USPS. Eventually it will be used as it's meant to be, but for now it seems like overkill. If all the girls were laying, it's make so much more sense. I have 37 hens/pullets, just no one wants to lay!

Yep, incubate and hatch. I don't quite get how that works for the incubating eggs with the humidity, but I guess I will find out.

7. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Blarney the awesome thing about cabinet bators is it takes 10 minutes, if that to get the humidity back where it was before you open the door, and the temp is usually back up in 2 minutes. I candle when I put the next tray in to hatch, and I clean the bator with the Manna Pro Egg Cleanser. It is non-toxic. You can hatch more then one tray at a time of course, but you have to buy the extra trays, and prongs to keep the lid on them. You don't want the chicks falling inside the bator!!!! Plus you have to turn the automatic turner off. So if you have two trays to hatch, you have to hand turn the other eggs. I use the dry hatch method. I don't let it get below 27%. Then a pump will kick on, and put water in the tray inside the bator. Its all digital, it will beep if its not happy!!! I don't move my trays down each week. Tray 1, stays in the first spot and so on. I keep track of them better that way. When I do "lock down" its no different, except I take them out of the automatic turning trays. I let my eggs get a saddle shaped air sac. I don't let it get to big though, if the "stirrup" comes down half way past the egg, I get worried. They get marked. When I buy eggs, I will help them out, if they get stuck. Otherwise if they are my eggs, I want to let them hatch naturally. If they don't I feel like there health might be an issue. I want to promote "vigor".

Yes the Sumatra are great birdies for DD. They have awesome personalities. I am not going to have any roosters of that breed. They also lay a tinted egg, light pink/peach color. Just another pretty color to add to the egg basket!

8. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry to hear you've had a rough day, but hopefully the wine took the edge off a little?[​IMG]
    Went to the lumber store the other day and saw The Redneck Wine Glass. A Ball canning jar attached to a stem. I almost bought it for my mom, she's not a redneck (I've got a little in me, but not her) but boy can she suck down a bottle of wine!!

9. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been following their Facebook page, it's got some cool stuff on it. I'm really trying to get there this year. REALLY WANT TO GO!!!

10. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Crap on a cracker! I went down to the basement just now to bring fresh water to the 2 chicks that I got from the NYD hatch...and one of them is dead! GAH!!! They were fine yesterday! So now I have a lonely only! I was going to move them out to the little coop inside the big coop this weekend....guess Tyler will be going by herself.:/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by