Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. MButerbaugh

MButerbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Question for everyone.... I think I've finally convinced DH to build me another coop so I can get some bantams! I would like a nice variety, but am wondering where to get them? I need a frizzle... Top on my list, would love some silkies and who knows what else? Anyone have several kinds that they'll be hatching/selling? Could probably go to TSC or order from hatchery.... Thought about going to an auction ... Any advice? Thanks in advance!!

2. Baym

Baym Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    Bah, I was crying in my wine last night with Sally, so I will share so others can learn from my stupidity! Don't ever ever ever follow the directions - especially when Sally tells you something completely different! Listen to Sally - Sally knows best!

So I loaded up 2 incubators, one 7 egger and one 20 egger. The 20 egger has 3 welsummer eggs and 2 marans and the rest some EE eggs from a friend (no big deal if they don't hatch). The 7 egger has 4 welsummer and 2 marans and 1 EE. Temperature and humidity are good on the little 7 egger. Temperature is fine on the big 20 egger. However, the humidity has been on the low side - following the directions to the letter. So about 9 days in, I weigh the eggs and most in the 20 egger are 10% lighter. So now I am jumping through hoops to boost the humidity to try to save something.

Hopefully something hatches in 12 days. 8(

Rookie -1
    Mother Nature +1

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Our First Black Cochins and update on "bubba" the round belly!

Both are doing good so far! running around chirping away!!

LOVE middle WHITE feathered toes!! LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bubba had first 2 POOS! Green Meconium Poo !! YAY Good sign!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at those TOES!!!

4. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

That's exactly why I posted this the other day....
    Fingers crossed for your hatch [​IMG]

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Wing!! Speckles is doing great, my roos love that little hussy!! he he he AND SHE ISNT STRESSED she laid AN EGGIE YESTERDAY!! Half the size of the other girls, but with some FF she will get them bigger!! She is part of the clan, no picking pecking or anything!! YAY... and yes I did the BAD which I NEVER DO, but I had a good feeling about her... I added her to the pen!! I know I know.... I wont ever do it again!!

6. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    you have plenty of time yet Baym!! you got this! LOL you crack me up!

I told you I do dry hatch methods and watch air cells.... I dont weigh... so dont you go and overthink either, you caught it and acted! same as I do every hatch!

Dry incubation means adding water as necessary, NOT DRY the entire time. So when I go under say 28-30% humidity I add water just to boost to 35-40%. while doing this during the hatch I pencil mark air cells and keep a close eye on loss. Shipped eggs with saddle shaped air cells and having already lost alot of weight from sitting and shipping they are typically going to loos a tad more than the rest. I have never had a problem, if anything TOO much humidity seems to be worse than not enough! I can help a stuck chick, but a mushy wet chick that drowns in its own fluids is as good as DEAD! so I do dry incu and then up to 65-70 lockdown, again it depends on what I am seeing!

9. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Mama its my Orp that is a hot mess, LOL!

10. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I made it to 9:00 sleeping. Not enough but better then nothing! At this point I am embarrassed about his looks, I will have to get a picture. Maybe he is putting all his groceries into growth, feathers later!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by