Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, we're talking about English shepherds. Generally, they are low prey drive - depends a bit on the breeder and what they've selected for exactly 'how' low their prey drive is. Many of them have prey drive in relation to hunting vermin, but are perfectly willing to protect their human's chickens, lambs or whatever. Most ES bond to their humans very strongly, and would probably be unhappy to be with livestock 24/7, unless their human was out there too. This article helps explain.

http://www.englishshepherd.org/english-shepherds-are.html

2. stake

stake Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Malvern, pa

Hi from Chester County.

3. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    thank you

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Berks! hello

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    yes go get them, its a VERY good excuse my friend! [​IMG]

6. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    [​IMG] LOVE SS. I agree with the others.... go get 'em!

7. yelnad

yelnad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    Central PA
    Hi all. Newbie questions here. I currently have 8 chicks in my brooder (a big sterilite tote, maybe 45 gallons). They are 11-13 days old. I'm thinking of getting more chicks next week from a friend who placed a large hatchery order. I can move the original 8 to an extra large dog crate (which I can reinforce to protect from the resident cats and dogs) until everyone is big enough to be together. The crate is approx 42. X 30.

Because it's so early and cold, I'm guessing these chickens need to stay inside for quite awhile? When is the earliest they can be moved outside (with a lamp)?

How long can the chicks live the crate and how many?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how many I can handle, total, considering The space and weather. :) For now I do have a 4x4 coop that i could put a light in outside with 10x4 run. I can put this on my deck. Future plans include a 10x8 garden shed with very large run and daytime free ranging (if local wildlife allows).

Thanks for some input!

Donna

8. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    What time of year are y'all thinking of for the PA Unite gathering? I can run the idea of hosting past hubby. I don't think I'd be organized to do it before June, but if that time works, my place has lots of other advantages.

1) Centrally located. I hour from York/Lancaster/Grantville/Gardners, 2 hours from Chester county, about 1-1/2 hours from State College, Berks. etc.

2) Room to camp - 26 acres

3) Alcohol is allowed

9. country chicks

country chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Update on power going out for eight hours on day 20. Its day 22 and we have peeps hatching. I thought they didn't have a chance. We are so happy.

10. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    ^ Erin's swap is June 8th and I usually go to Atlantic City around the 3rd/4th weekend of June. Anything after July 4th is actually good for me, personally, but I know it may not work for others.

Somehow I got 10 pages behind since last night.... I didn't feel like catching up. I did get my first egg from my 75% English Blue/Black Orp girls covered by 100% English Chocolate bantam Orp roos today! YAY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by