Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

have no idea how anyone can see anything inside Welsummer and Maran eggs, other than the air cell. The lightest Welsummer you could see some veining and a dark cloud, but not much else. I suppose there could be nothing going on inside those eggs or there is and being a rookie I couldn't get enough lumination to see it.
This is my excuse for having such bad habits of not candling eggs. Most of what I hatch seems to be marans. I can never see anything except air cell either. I just assume that, if the air cell is shrinking, and there's ablob in there, things are good. If the egg isn't fertile, the whole thing glows.

I have kind of a strange question to throw out there...

I have 8+ cream legbar chicks comng from crazypetlady in the spring...as you all know i am trying to downsize and get organized, this is a breed i would like to work with but the timing is way off.....
my question is would any of you be willing to take these chicks and work with them, and then ensure that i get chicks from them come next summer??
Are these a showable breed?

Feel like posting a picture today. Three roosters and one pullet Swedish Flowrer Hens.

LilBrownie, how is your hen doing? Was she egg bound?
Beaglady, I did get eggs from all 4 of the girls yesterday!
The two on the right are the Marans. They are darker than most of my other eggs. Hopefully they will get darker. If not, I will just have to claim chicken math, and get more.
yesss.gif

I baited the nest this morning. They pulled the eggs into the main part of the coop. Silly birds. I hope they start using the nest box. I will have to hinge the roof if they don't. And excuse the dirty eggs. That is the FF pan. It was all I had handy since I wasn't wearing a coat.
Everyone, I know some of you are worried about bringing home too much from the swap. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that. I will use the motorcycle. Once I fill it with chaps, vests, hoodies, gauntlets, jackets and the tool kit, I will not have much more room for extras. Then again, I have not found a grocery order yet that I could not pack on the bike. Hmmm ... Okay I might be in trouble too.

Last edited:
sharron.... I think you missed something.... HE told you they have speckled sussex... now Radioman would know better than to tell me something like that unless HE wanted the new ones but didn't want to admit it! He can be sneaky that way! I don't have any sussex but I understand they tend to be good for meat and broodiness??? So never hurts to grab a few while you can if you know you can send them to freezer camp or have them raise little ones for you in the future.... Win/Win!!!!
highfive.gif

and like McC said, you can enjoy them as little ones and always trade them later if you change your mind! Sounds like good therapy to me!!
Indiana County here.... what part of Cambria Co? we could be neighbors or an hour apart depending! LOL
Hi hi!!
big_smile.png
The address is actually Ebensburg, but I'm literally a stone's throw from Colver ... I do work in Indiana daily though, so I could certainly be working in your backyard, practically!!
highfive.gif

Day 14 Last Night - we have 2 bators going with Welsummer and Maran eggs, and some random eggs we got from a friend (some EE). I have no idea how anyone can see anything inside Welsummer and Maran eggs, other than the air cell. The lightest Welsummer you could see some veining and a dark cloud, but not much else. I suppose there could be nothing going on inside those eggs or there is and being a rookie I couldn't get enough lumination to see it.

However, totally different story on the light blue and green eggs. Wow. The one egg the chick was doing gymnastics. Kept pushing its feet up against the sides. Totally amazing. I only have 3 light color eggs and there is definite activity. Mixed blessing at this point, I am totally stressing about the Wellies but super excited about the others!
The 3 times I've hatched Marans eggs I came up with this method for candling (these were dark eggs, not the darkest, but still dark). Really adjust your eyes to the dark first, fresh batteries, and then look for the faintest hint of a darker spot(eye). The difference is soo slight, but once I zero in on it slowly roll the egg side to side to see if your little shadow is sliding along the shell. It's worked on all but one.
one for Chad

Love It!!

AWESOME idea with the ducks..I think you can get little marzipan duckies..may have to do that as my kid sis's baby shower cake with rubber duckies...as when asked what she's having she replies "we're hoping for a baby, but it might be a hedgehog"
Welcome! And I volunteer Sally!
See...she volunteered herself!
I'll offer to be the one who shows up with 20 roosters...though, knowing me, I'll leave with something else!
I said "aww I want one" to the pic of Mindy on the Vet table...and fiancee looks over and goes NO! I tried to play innocent that I was talking about a chicken...but he's having none of it.
PRECISELY how I feel! SOOO much happier now that the littles go home to their house.
Welcome, if you'd like on the map, just post your zipcode.
I think this is an awesome offer! I vote for you!

So.....ummm.....well...ok....ya'll know I don't do anything normal right? This one is TOTALLY not my fault! Fiancee got a wild hair the other day and decided we needed to go get the marriage license...even though the wedding's not till October....but you know...these things expire after 60 days...and then you have to go get a new one....so now we're playing the ultimate April Fool's joke on everyone....and getting married on April 1. We're still having the wedding in October...but it will be just for show...the paperwork will be all done.

HI Missy! My Zipcode is 15927 ... I actually live in Ebensburg (zip 15931) but I'm half a mile from Colver (zip 15927). Most people see "Ebensburg" and think "town" ... but I don't live in the urban area!
yippiechickie.gif

I have heavy walled coolers in all different sizes. No need to buy one. These were used to keep lab supplies cold.
And my house is closer than wally world
Sounds good
That's just the way she writes lol
we did have a micro swap
We have tents
HI! Tons of folks all within a short drive to get just about anything you can think of.
I'd keep them inside in the cage for as long as you can with the odd weather we've had. (just put my babies from Dec27 hatch out of the house
hide.gif
)
Sweet!
Button quail are VERY small! I've seen bigger finches
And?
Stop you!? Hell we'd help you load it
lau.gif

Enablers....what exactly is an enabler? A person who supports you in your interests, wants and desires.....Sounds more like a REALLY good friend.
yesss.gif

I've got connections to Lebanon County myself ... born and raised in Pittsburgh but lived in Lebanon from 1998-2005. Cedar Crest Grad. My parents still live by Lion's Lake. Hope all is well on that half of the state
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom