Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    This is my excuse for having such bad habits of not candling eggs. Most of what I hatch seems to be marans. I can never see anything except air cell either. I just assume that, if the air cell is shrinking, and there's ablob in there, things are good. If the egg isn't fertile, the whole thing glows.

2. kalbach8

kalbach8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2013
    PA
    Are these a showable breed?

3. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania

4. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feel like posting a picture today. Three roosters and one pullet Swedish Flowrer Hens.
    [​IMG]

5. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    LilBrownie, how is your hen doing? Was she egg bound?
    Beaglady, I did get eggs from all 4 of the girls yesterday!
    [​IMG] The two on the right are the Marans. They are darker than most of my other eggs. Hopefully they will get darker. If not, I will just have to claim chicken math, and get more. [​IMG]
    I baited the nest this morning. They pulled the eggs into the main part of the coop. Silly birds. I hope they start using the nest box. I will have to hinge the roof if they don't. And excuse the dirty eggs. That is the FF pan. It was all I had handy since I wasn't wearing a coat.
    Everyone, I know some of you are worried about bringing home too much from the swap. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that. I will use the motorcycle. Once I fill it with chaps, vests, hoodies, gauntlets, jackets and the tool kit, I will not have much more room for extras. Then again, I have not found a grocery order yet that I could not pack on the bike. Hmmm ... Okay I might be in trouble too.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  6. mrsmc604

mrsmc604 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Ebensburg, PA
    Hi hi!! [​IMG] The address is actually Ebensburg, but I'm literally a stone's throw from Colver ... I do work in Indiana daily though, so I could certainly be working in your backyard, practically!! [​IMG]

7. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    one for Chad

[​IMG]

8. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I agree with the serving!

9. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

The 3 times I've hatched Marans eggs I came up with this method for candling (these were dark eggs, not the darkest, but still dark). Really adjust your eyes to the dark first, fresh batteries, and then look for the faintest hint of a darker spot(eye). The difference is soo slight, but once I zero in on it slowly roll the egg side to side to see if your little shadow is sliding along the shell. It's worked on all but one.
    Love It!!

10. mrsmc604

mrsmc604 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Ebensburg, PA
    HI Missy! My Zipcode is 15927 ... I actually live in Ebensburg (zip 15931) but I'm half a mile from Colver (zip 15927). Most people see "Ebensburg" and think "town" ... but I don't live in the urban area! [​IMG]
    I've got connections to Lebanon County myself ... born and raised in Pittsburgh but lived in Lebanon from 1998-2005. Cedar Crest Grad. My parents still live by Lion's Lake. Hope all is well on that half of the state [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by