Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

These were the estimates around noon today. They may have changed a little since then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA

So, when you come to visit, you can bring them along, right? LOL!

3. eweaber

eweaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    Lebanon PA
    My mother, wife, sister in law, and a number of my friends are elementary teachers in PA. What do you need?

4. stake

stake Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Malvern, pa
    Don't ya know, bumbles bounce!

5. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

Welcome! Gotta love Marans! Inquisitive, sweet, broody, great colored eggs, oh...and they're tasty too!

6. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

Welcome! jersey's not far at all!

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Chiques.. the only problems we have with a broody up high is others laying in the nest and once the first one(s) hatch, if they are feisty and move out, the hen may follow. I like to rig up a removable fence to keep others out and babies in. It helps make sure those babies stay put until the hatch is done. Then we move everyone to ground floor or a separate coop. Provide a tiny feeder/waterer in the nest area for the hen ( We have big nests).

**waving to the newcomers from northern Berks.

Re the CL ad for milk, honey and whatever: Why $2/gallon difference for Jersey milk? I've had both and unless you are making butter, the Jersey milk is usually just too rich to drink straight. Heck, I skimmed the Holstein milk, too And how do they keep it separate? Do they have separate milk tanks? Or only 2 cows? I'd have to see their operation to go along with that place.( yes, cows are more my thing than chickens. They are his chickens; I just manage them.) As to price, we pay $4/gal at the local farmer's dairy store but it is pasteurized, not raw. Love raw milk but I want to see the milking,cooling, and cleaning before I buy there. It is Holstein milk and they are running 3.9 % butterfat- I asked. Jersey is usually 4%- 6%+ depending upon stage of lactation.
    $2/doz for eggs seems cheap.

8. ctfeathers

ctfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Eastern PA
    Nope, not photoshopped. Also not mine, unfortunately.
    Zipcode is.18360

9. ctfeathers

ctfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Eastern PA
    Same applies here- multiple friends, and wifey teach in pa. What's up?

10. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Yesterday when I asked the girls up there about it they said it would still be on, and they didn't think the snow would add up to much. Since we're in the pink on the map below, I'd bet they were wrong, and it'll be cancelled. I really hope they at least do it Thursday or Fri. It could go in our favor though. Less people means a greater chance at the drawings. Food for thought.
    Blarney....there's a storm coming!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by