Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania

Yep! Only geese eggs in the bators from now on! I've been setting weekly. Fingers crossed for cute gosling pics next week!!

2. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa

Aww I hope things get better I always tell myself it can't get worse right?? Sending hugs!!

Have a too the same way and if I could'be gotten my hands on him 2 days ago his neck would've been rung!!! Solo can't wait for him yo leave

3. ctfeathers

ctfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Eastern PA
    Folks, I need some help here. I need more chicks, and I have done some work finding a few places, but I would rather go from a recommendation. I need either: eggs to hatch or chicks, a straight run of BLR is fine, and I have no issue with having all 3 colors. I can drive within reason, or pay for shipping. Needing 10-20, will select keepers from them, sell the rest (or trade?)
    Please either pm or post here.
    Thanks so much

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

5. chickencowranch

chickencowranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Mt Wolf, Pa
    My Coop
    Quote:Hello from York.

6. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Another story: The chickens have been on lockdown for 4 days now, since my EE got eaten. Yesterday, I went to feed, and check for eggs. They wandered just outside of the gate door (I let them because, I had bananas and knew they'd come back). Within 30 seconds, no exaggeration, a red shouldered hawk swooped over my head so close I felt wind, and landed in the tree over hanging the coops. Flailing arms and screaming chased him off, but, REALLY??? 30 seconds, AND I'm standing there in a bright red coat! It's the season all, they are feeding next years P.I.A.'s

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    OH NO!

8. ctfeathers

Mar 3, 2013
    Eastern PA

I know. It was a local person, runs a smaller mom and pop feed store. He's not a bad person, but he is clearly used to people who do not know anything. I no longer know where he gets his birds. He had been selling his own, supposedly, but not anymore. I did finally talk to him this morning, and he was telling me he was sorry for the trouble, and could make it up with some araucana chicks. I asked where he gets them, (I know he did not have those guys) and what color eggs they lay, and he said, all different colors... I asked if they were EE? He says, EE, Araucana, Ameraucana, they are all the same, called a different name by what color egg they lay. I asked him what color eggs they hatch from, he says, they same that they lay! Obviously! I tried to explain the differences, and he just got angry, and was very defensive.
    Overall, he is a nice guy, but he does not know chickens. He is not on here, he doesn't advertise outside of his store, and I don't want to take his business away. I think anyone who is walking in there for the few chicks he sells per year, for the most part, do not care. If they did, they would be like me and researching before deciding. I was fooled once, now I know better, and know more of what to look for in the future. At least I know what the chicks should NOT look like!

9. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    shame, well, i firmly believe what goes around comes around. maybe you should take what hes offening and then take them to the auction, get a little money back unless that is, hes going to charge for those too.

10. ctfeathers

Mar 3, 2013
    Eastern PA

I hear you, I understand where you are coming from. Really, I do.
    But I also know that this is the guy who took out 2 bags of feed to my house free of charge, on a Sunday night after we were slammed with a tropical storm 2 years ago, because he knew we were housebound due to weather and put of grain.
    He also fed, free of charge, a yearling QH who was a rescue for 6 months for someone who couldn't afford it, and only had the horse to prevent it from being further neglected. Once it was healthy, he helped find it a home, again free of charge. Not many people even knew about it. He just did it. He regularly pays for free shots to families who can no longer afford to vaccinate their pets due to the change in economy. He was wrong in this, yes. But not a bad person.
    Plus I'm pretty sure his "araucana chicks" are actually barred rock chicks. Hehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by