Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    So i was reading the forum about how to deal with hawks (I believe Sally had posted it) We have always enjoyed watching the hawks that nest on our property. Usually at least one pair a year along with theur young. So by late summer we have a good bit of hawks flying around. Never had much problem other than them trying to eat the birds at my birdfeeder once or twice. The corws and buzards seem to help. Even seen an eagle or two around. My run will be completely fenced, but i DO want to free range when i am home. WE have a large pasture that is half open field half woods and brush. I know some losses happen. Just nature taking it's corse unfortunaly. Like the 3 lambs we lost this year. It just happens on a farm. However, that doesn't mean i am not going to do what ever i can to protect m birds. :) I really don't like gunieas. I mean REALLY. The only one i was around was mean and chased me. BUT, would keeping ONE gunie hen with my flock be ok? Would it be a better protection than just the 2 roos?

2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL! I used to love hawks too. Recent circumstances have tainted my view on them, however. I considered the Guinea solution, and haven't ruled it out, but I'm pretty sure it's best to have more than one?? Just what I've read, not personal experience. As far as roos go, I have plenty, and maybe they're too young, but I haven't seen one protect a hen yet, other than from another roo.[​IMG]

3. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA

X2! We have had one flying around here lately....

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    you know the scary part I am finding they come back and back and back and will clean your darn coop in a few days! I can deal with A loss but keep coming for free meals is another!

5. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Chad's GF lives in Lebanon, well N. Lebanon and is minutes away from Eli
    Me?
    You need that rug.
    I could come and get you lol
    I want one! Mine is in NC yet and the folks let me get it back. Marlin 22 mag, and an interarms 22lr pump down there. [​IMG]
    Excellent! We have a full line of enablers here and soon you could be looking for homes for all your extras....just stick close lol
    Really?
    I might still have an auto thrower here
    Beer
    [​IMG] Yep crazy chicken people are closer than you think lol
    Ray on here has wyandottes...SL and GL...but I don't believe the BLRW
    Yes it was looking from the outside as you were jumping in as the enabler LOL
    That's how I saw it
    All depends on what your looking for...size, style
    Pis*ed
    As I do with the 2 yr old....and yes she now says it....calm down citizen lol
    That makes the best blood sausage
    You three could just move north a lil bit lol
    Need Francois back? I also have some younger FBCM cockerels gonna be moving along.
    Hmmm. I make a Lg glass of the special stuff every night and than call Bruce at 1am and talk life and chickens [​IMG]
    They could get lost at my house and than I could just show up at your house with chicken for your freezer.
    It's not that bad and read post above.
    There are sisters that have beautiful BLR on BYC. I can't think of their names right off hand. I know there were a few people on here looking to get the eggs from them.
    Sounds like a good fella that just likes chickens and doesn't know the genetics end of things.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Thanks Chad, I know we will do it, ONE DAY and I am sure I will need you to hold my hand [​IMG]

BTW Crested Cream Legbars is what chicks you were eyein up when u where here, from crazypetlady
    all those chicks came from her end lol

7. stake

stake Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Malvern, pa

I usually have a couple flying overhead every day....sometimes hunting, sometimes cruising, sometimes in pairs....lately there have been some younger red tails in singles..hopefully they'll be gone by the time the chicks move outside...

8. roseschickies

roseschickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    my heart is hurting.. and my mind is calling me an idiot and i don't need him.. but I still want him.. The mind is a sick sick thing.. oh look a fluffy white silkie...

Yes sorry Patrick.. should post that stuff here.. I tried to keep it chicken only.. Maybe i need one of those drinks you guys keep talking about?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  9. Brittany7

Brittany7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Gardners PA
    yes my other half is worried about using having roos. he doesnt want them so if that happens i am sure we will be trying to find them a new safe happy home.

10. Brittany7

Brittany7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Gardners PA
    yes my other half is worried about using having roos. he doesnt want them so if that happens i am sure we will be trying to find them a new safe happy home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by