Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

So i was reading the forum about how to deal with hawks (I believe Sally had posted it) We have always enjoyed watching the hawks that nest on our property. Usually at least one pair a year along with theur young. So by late summer we have a good bit of hawks flying around. Never had much problem other than them trying to eat the birds at my birdfeeder once or twice. The corws and buzards seem to help. Even seen an eagle or two around. My run will be completely fenced, but i DO want to free range when i am home. WE have a large pasture that is half open field half woods and brush. I know some losses happen. Just nature taking it's corse unfortunaly. Like the 3 lambs we lost this year. It just happens on a farm. However, that doesn't mean i am not going to do what ever i can to protect m birds. :) I really don't like gunieas. I mean REALLY. The only one i was around was mean and chased me. BUT, would keeping ONE gunie hen with my flock be ok? Would it be a better protection than just the 2 roos?

So i was reading the forum about how to deal with hawks (I believe Sally had posted it) We have always enjoyed watching the hawks that nest on our property. Usually at least one pair a year along with theur young. So by late summer we have a good bit of hawks flying around. Never had much problem other than them trying to eat the birds at my birdfeeder once or twice. The corws and buzards seem to help. Even seen an eagle or two around. My run will be completely fenced, but i DO want to free range when i am home. WE have a large pasture that is half open field half woods and brush. I know some losses happen. Just nature taking it's corse unfortunaly. Like the 3 lambs we lost this year. It just happens on a farm. However, that doesn't mean i am not going to do what ever i can to protect m birds. :) I really don't like gunieas. I mean REALLY. The only one i was around was mean and chased me. BUT, would keeping ONE gunie hen with my flock be ok? Would it be a better protection than just the 2 roos?

LOL! I used to love hawks too. Recent circumstances have tainted my view on them, however. I considered the Guinea solution, and haven't ruled it out, but I'm pretty sure it's best to have more than one?? Just what I've read, not personal experience. As far as roos go, I have plenty, and maybe they're too young, but I haven't seen one protect a hen yet, other than from another roo.
roll.png

you know the scary part I am finding they come back and back and back and will clean your darn coop in a few days! I can deal with A loss but keep coming for free meals is another!

really like this one !!!
mostly friendly, and yep i am headed to lebanon, i think sat..
lau.gif

big_smile.png
how much farther is chad,,,,i know how to get to lebanon fair grounds but myerstown
hu.gif
would be nice if i could get the truck but the chance of hubby giving up truck on a sat, probly not.
so instead of drunk shopping , i could have done drunk contest...
Chad's GF lives in Lebanon, well N. Lebanon and is minutes away from Eli
yep, ask away.. there's always gonna be the smart answer on occasions....usually from chad !!
Me?
Nope, youi're not near me at all.

Galgo: I will be at Delmarva, my son is showing banty cochins and BCMs, my daughter is showing Orpingtons

I am sooooo ******. That dang fox is back, walking around my property lilke he owns the joint. I have no idea how the fire the gun... I know, I know, it's all my fault, Missy offered to show me several times. I dunno, the gun is so loud. and heavy. and scary. But DANG I wish I knew how to shoot it right now!
You need that rug.
I am one of those that can get lost 2 blocks out of town....really should invest in gps.
I could come and get you lol
.22lr rifle, my wife loves hers and there is little to no kick. I might even have an extra one if you wanted to buy one.
I want one! Mine is in NC yet and the folks let me get it back. Marlin 22 mag, and an interarms 22lr pump down there.
sad.png

South Central PA! Starting my first flock in a few weeks!
Excellent! We have a full line of enablers here and soon you could be looking for homes for all your extras....just stick close lol
gaa.. sorry.. hi all new peeps.. Everyones ducks/chicks/silkies/ puppies and children are adorable...
jumpy.gif

I shouldn't be on the internet today.. I am just such an idiot..
barnie.gif
Never take back a MAN! Ugh.. Had him gone. but noooo.. stupid girl here..
he.gif

Only joy today was finding a egg on my lunch break! 2 more and I have my 1st full Dozen!
Really?
Sounds like fun!! I can bring some claybirds! :) don't have a thrower and I am NOT good at throwing by hand, they always break. So when and where is this get together going to be? :)
I might still have an auto thrower here
Welcome Brittany,

There are lots of us from all parts of south central, so one of us might be close by. Post your zip code if you want, and Missy will add you to our map.

And, Chad, Wingstone, pray tell what is a PORK SLAP?
Beer
HOWDY NEIGHBOR!!! NICE TO MEET YOU!
big_smile.png
Yep crazy chicken people are closer than you think lol
Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate it. So far I had not really had that much success...
But it seems a bit better in this thread. I appreciate all the help and advice, so far have had nothing but bad luck :-(
Hope that changes!
Any advice on where to get chicks? I need some more wyandottes, the ones I was sent are mostly Roos, and the wrong color (ordered (and paid for) 16 BLR pullets, got 10 gl Roos, 3 gl pullets, 1 splash roo, 1 BLR or black pullet.)
This is for both my own start to a flock, but also a genetic mapping research study. Help?
I also need to find some homes for some of these guys
Ray on here has wyandottes...SL and GL...but I don't believe the BLRW
Thanks Betta! I actually won't have any chicks again til at least late fall. But I was just pointing out that Joan and I know many of the bigger silkie breeders and could point someone in the right direction, whatever color they were looking for.

Guess that was funny....
Yes it was looking from the outside as you were jumping in as the enabler LOL
I thought it was funny "running the circle" as in an enabler for Gods sakes what the heck woman/s!
That's how I saw it
Anyone selling their incubator?
All depends on what your looking for...size, style
Oh No! I got edited! Can't even remember what I typed there.
Pis*ed
Excuse me, but nobody was attacking Sally, unless she sells mixed breed chickens as pures? I think you might be confused yourself, since Mama merely asked why it was funny and I stated that she has excellent stock. I'm not sure how you equate that with "ganging up on one person".
As I do with the 2 yr old....and yes she now says it....calm down citizen lol
Watching buried a live and the one about the people with extreme addictions! This one lady drinks PIGS Blood!! Omg ugh how do you start to do that? These shows really help me feel better about my crazy animal addiction
smile.png
CHICKEN MATH!!! O,g she even drinks human blood!! WHAT!!!
That makes the best blood sausage
That's cool! I never knew it had that feature. I'll have to keep it in mind. BTW Could a few of you just move South to the PA border, to keep Me, Kiomey and FGChad company??
big_smile.png
You three could just move north a lil bit lol
Ok, I can't find my blue pen.

I have OE Hatching Eggs, MF Cochin Hatching Eggs, and Black Copper Marans hatching eggs. I won't have BCM eggs for much longer as my roo's name is 'soup'.
Need Francois back? I also have some younger FBCM cockerels gonna be moving along.
I am so disgusted right now, bear with me while I vent..... It started weekend before last our little geriatric dwarf hamster died, then Monday this week our equally geriatric guinea pig dies, followed by a younger guinea pig the very next day!!! I figure "they come in 3's, right?!?" Good, we're done - 2 weren't a surprise.... So then my one EE has been acting funny, couldn't figure her out. Brought her in yesterday in a cage, suspected vent gleet. Couldn't get her to eat/drink. I tried everything Sally said to do but I was too late!!! She was sleeping this am while the kids were getting ready for school - still breathing. I just went back to check on her again and she's gone!!!! It's times like this that I wish I had NO animals!!! I love them all so much, but to lose 4 in appx 10 days???? I think I need some of Chad's special orange juice.....

hit.gif
barnie.gif
hit.gif
Hmmm. I make a Lg glass of the special stuff every night and than call Bruce at 1am and talk life and chickens
lol.png

I cant get past and process yet, but someday perhaps : (
They could get lost at my house and than I could just show up at your house with chicken for your freezer.
LOL Missy! DH said I will do it but I aint eating them!
It's not that bad and read post above.
Folks, I need some help here. I need more chicks, and I have done some work finding a few places, but I would rather go from a recommendation. I need either: eggs to hatch or chicks, a straight run of BLR is fine, and I have no issue with having all 3 colors. I can drive within reason, or pay for shipping. Needing 10-20, will select keepers from them, sell the rest (or trade?)
Please either pm or post here.
Thanks so much
There are sisters that have beautiful BLR on BYC. I can't think of their names right off hand. I know there were a few people on here looking to get the eggs from them.
I hear you, I understand where you are coming from. Really, I do.
But I also know that this is the guy who took out 2 bags of feed to my house free of charge, on a Sunday night after we were slammed with a tropical storm 2 years ago, because he knew we were housebound due to weather and put of grain.
He also fed, free of charge, a yearling QH who was a rescue for 6 months for someone who couldn't afford it, and only had the horse to prevent it from being further neglected. Once it was healthy, he helped find it a home, again free of charge. Not many people even knew about it. He just did it. He regularly pays for free shots to families who can no longer afford to vaccinate their pets due to the change in economy. He was wrong in this, yes. But not a bad person.
Plus I'm pretty sure his "araucana chicks" are actually barred rock chicks. Hehe
Sounds like a good fella that just likes chickens and doesn't know the genetics end of things.

Thanks Chad, I know we will do it, ONE DAY and I am sure I will need you to hold my hand
hugs.gif

BTW Crested Cream Legbars is what chicks you were eyein up when u where here, from crazypetlady
all those chicks came from her end lol

LOL! I used to love hawks too. Recent circumstances have tainted my view on them, however. I considered the Guinea solution, and haven't ruled it out, but I'm pretty sure it's best to have more than one?? Just what I've read, not personal experience. As far as roos go, I have plenty, and maybe they're too young, but I haven't seen one protect a hen yet, other than from another roo.:rolleyes:

So i was reading the forum about how to deal with hawks (I believe Sally had posted it) We have always enjoyed watching the hawks that nest on our property. Usually at least one pair a year along with theur young. So by late summer we have a good bit of hawks flying around. Never had much problem other than them trying to eat the birds at my birdfeeder once or twice. The corws and buzards seem to help. Even seen an eagle or two around. My run will be completely fenced, but i DO want to free range when i am home.  WE have a large pasture that is half open field half woods and brush. I know some losses happen. Just nature taking it's corse unfortunaly. Like the 3 lambs we lost this year. It just happens on a farm. However, that doesn't mean i am not going to do what ever i can to protect m birds. :) I really don't like gunieas. I mean REALLY. The only one i was around was mean and chased me.  BUT, would keeping ONE gunie hen with my flock be ok? Would it be a better protection than just the 2 roos?

I usually have a couple flying overhead every day....sometimes hunting, sometimes cruising, sometimes in pairs....lately there have been some younger red tails in singles..hopefully they'll be gone by the time the chicks move outside...

Sometimes the heart doesn't know how to listen to the head. This does not make you an idiot....it makes you a loving human.
my heart is hurting.. and my mind is calling me an idiot and i don't need him.. but I still want him.. The mind is a sick sick thing.. oh look a fluffy white silkie...

Yes sorry Patrick.. should post that stuff here.. I tried to keep it chicken only.. Maybe i need one of those drinks you guys keep talking about?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom