Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

AND THANK YOU! FINALLY HAVE A SIGNATURE AND FOUND THE MAP!!!
So now that you have a sig....where @ the shore?
In case anyone cares, I just put a chocolate chip cheesecake in the oven. Oh and hatched 9 Ameracauna chicks between yesterday and tosay, 4 black and 5 white. They are just cute!
I saw this on facebook lastnight...that's just cruel! I had just made a golden raspberry and blackberry pie.
Aunt Kat - I think you might even be close enough to taste test! LOL
Well, if she is, I certainly am!
Totally not chickens but had to share! Who needs a pillow pet when you have a real one! :)
Adorable!
So a bad night here went to coop up and found a missing roo my little girls roo named Halloween didn't return from free ranging! She is so upset now I just can't wait til there is light out so I can actually look around and see if I can tell what took him or maybe he will show up in the am! Doubt it but I am hoping a little! All I can think is atleast it wasn't one of my hens but my 4 yr old isn't thinking that way all she wants is her chicken back! Luckily we have eggs in the bator due to hatch in 2 days! Has anyone ever heard of a cat taking down a bantam?? Thinking it might have been the neighbors rouge cat and if I find any suspicions of that they will be hearing from me!! Ahhhh that stupid cat has been eyeing up my chickens the past 3 days!! Grr people and not taking care of their animals and to boot they let their kids run wild too!! Ready for a fence soon!
They say fences make the best neighbors...I'm all for shotguns though.
Everybody got their bread & milk? I know you have eggs!
wink.png

Snow totals for Sunday night into Monday
Nope, all the eggs are leaving!
ad from today's lancaster farming FREE 30x60x9 plexiglass enclosure with doors on both ends 717-629-0978 berks co
GAH! Why is all the cool stuff far away..and why don't I have a pickup yet???

So a bad night here went to coop up and found a missing roo my little girls roo named Halloween didn't return from free ranging! She is so upset now I just can't wait til there is light out so I can actually look around and see if I can tell what took him or maybe he will show up in the am! Doubt it but I am hoping a little! All I can think is atleast it wasn't one of my hens but my 4 yr old isn't thinking that way all she wants is her chicken back! Luckily we have eggs in the bator due to hatch in 2 days! Has anyone ever heard of a cat taking down a bantam?? Thinking it might have been the neighbors rouge cat and if I find any suspicions of that they will be hearing from me!! Ahhhh that stupid cat has been eyeing up my chickens the past 3 days!! Grr people and not taking care of their animals and to boot they let their kids run wild too!! Ready for a fence soon!
hugs.gif
So sorry Brownie! Any luck yet? I had problems here with a weasel, foxes, stray cats, and the neighbors who don't wanna put their dogs on leashes (but would freak if a chicken was walking outside of my pasture). I also started seeing a ton of hawks. I sympathize! Worst feeling not knowing where they are! So, I gave in and bought a huge portable chicken mansion with a great big run. Will be praying you find him safely.

Missy, I gotta say I like the way you think on alot of those issues.

even though i am not close to Joan.....WILL TRAVEL FOR CHEESECAKE>>>>

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking,,, where are you getting your MARANS ???

I'd be interested in some eggs and possibly the "soup" Roo,,, always like the look of him in his photos !!!

GUINEAS definitely help with predators ! Not that they attack or defend,,,, they ALARM when they see something to worry about. I have many and free range about 6 to 8, there is always a "look-out" for danger, they sound off an alarm sound and everyone else pops their heads up to see what might be coming and head for cover, even the chickens learn this behavior. There is still an occassional loss, but I like them as guards.

Word of caution; you have to be able to deal with the noise they make, they are NOT quiet birds ! The other advantage is that they LOVE eating bugs, especially ticks.

There are many breeds for many reasons,,,, doing a little homework before you decide can save you alot of trouble later on.
Some breeds don't do well confined, others don't do well free-ranged; example, polish can't see predators coming because of their fancy feathered heads ! Other breeds may be more territorial and become more aggressive to each other when kept in close quarters.

And, there is always the egg production end of things,, and the maturing rate. Some larger fowl may not lay until they are much older, and may not lay as many or on as regular a basis as "egg production" breeds and crosses.

Some say that Marans eggs are the "gourmet" of eggs,,, chefs like using them. Diet is definitely the determining factor in the color and taste of an egg. That's why backyard chicken's eggs have a better yolk color and better taste than a store bought "egg-factory" egg.
Breeder out of Ohio ... someone my uncle has known for years, website is http://norrusmarans.com Some very beautiful birds, there!

Really????

Woke up to more fresh snow on the ground. I don't think winter is ever going to end this year....
You're telling me! I haven't seen our area without snow since perhaps November. Cruel, cruel joke, Punxsy Phil! Hubby says he wouldn't mind taking you out ... or any of your relatives over at the farm, either!

Hello, people! What has been happening in Pennsylvania lately? Have I missed anything (besides 40 plus pages?) interesting?
Here are some cartoons I wanted to share.

This is why he made the wrong forecast.

Back
Top Bottom