Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I looks like it is a Cochin. Its probably a boy, that's why the feathers are so sporatic. Don't worry about split wing or vulture hocks right now. You can't evaluate that until 3-6 months.

2. yelnad

yelnad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    Central PA
    Thanks. I don't even know what split wing or vulture hocks are! :) A friend got an assorted mix from Murrary McMurray and this was in it. Just what I need...another rooster. Although it was a pullet mix, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

3. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA

It could be a pullet, I am right 50% of the time!

4. Kiomey

Kiomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2012
    Southern York County
    aw I'm sorry chrissy! I wondered how'd she'd do :/ We shall have to join forces for coop and bator building this spring/summer!
    congrats! :D

5. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

Welcome. Look at the map in my signature to see who is actually close to you.

I will be coming back from NJ on Monday and could pick some up..if you haven't given them all away by then.

Welcome!

Bruce or Chad are the experts on that..but most everyone does it around here. I will get started in a few weeks, have a friend bringing me more 5 gallon buckets.

And it's healthier for the birds, and they smell less and they have shinier feathers...sooo many reasons.

What I think is not fit to be printed on a family site.

IF I don't have ducklings at the moment I change from medicated to unmedicated at 2 weeks. At 4 weeks they are out in the little coop inside the big coop. At 6 weeks they are in the big coop and have access to calcium, not that I've ever seen a little one go for it. They get layer feed at about 14 weeks...

I like to think of cracked corn as candy for chickens. Would you feed your kids nothing but candy?

Some people have chickens, and some people raise them, there's a difference.

Pullets even from the big houses aren't 100% guaranteed...I wound up with a few roos that way.

6. eweaber

eweaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    Lebanon PA
    Can chickens eat goat feed? I have some left over from when I had goats.

7. wlrabbitry

wlrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

8. wlrabbitry

wlrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

9. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Well, my White silkie bantam pair, Reggie & Rory, were out enjoying the weather today! [​IMG] Thought I'd snap some pics!
    What a cute couple!
    [​IMG]
    He's getting more gorgeous every day...
    [​IMG]
    Oh my gosh, she loves to pose! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She's actually getting quite lovely, you'll see her all spiffy at the York show!
    [​IMG]

Also, an update on the babies I moved. They're all doing quite well...
    [​IMG]

10. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    When they lay will depend on breed, but most will be between 15-30 weeks unless they hit laying age right in the middle of winter, then they will likely wait until Spring. I usually do my feed the same as for chickens. I never give medicated feed to any of my birds so don't have to worry about making a switch there. If I feed an "all-flock" type feed it covers everyone from hatch through old age. I usually offer oyster shell free choice once they get about 14 weeks old or whenever they make it to the layer coop. Sometimes younger birds get mixed with my older birds if they are big enough even if they are not old enough to lay. If they need the shells they will eat them, if they don't they won't. They seem to know what they need & when. I do use layer mash in my fermented feed for my layer coops but still offer oyster shell as well.
    Chickens can & will eat just about anything that's edible. Mine have had left over dog & rabbit feed. Just don't give them JUST goat feed. They still need their crumbles/mash as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by