Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I've been looking at them for SFH, but they seem rather pricey. Same as Greenfire. Unless they went to the work of importing, I'm not sure I can justify that. I don't know if they import or not. If they do, I'm sorry, my comment is out of line.
I know they have imported other breeds like their fresians and such. not sure about the SFH or the others. I thought they were a little high as well, but the price on the marans was $5 less a piece than agway had them at. I came home with 7 chicks last time (2 marans and 5 SS) for $40. The quality is good, they don't overcrowd, the chicks are healthy, so since i am only getting a few a t a time, i didn't mind. They are close to me, so i don't have to ship which saves $. I wouldn't go off the prices on the website becuase they don't always have all the breeds or have it up to date. (they have 6 lemon barred cuckoo orp chicks for sale on the auction for $45 for all 6, so that is less then they have them on the website for) The SFH should be hatching late april early may. I want to get some too, so when they hatch, if you are still interested. i'll let you know the price and i can always pick them up. I am pretty close to lancaster. :)

I know they have imported other breeds like their fresians and such. not sure about the SFH or the others. I thought they were a little high as well, but the price on the marans was $5 less a piece than agway had them at. I came home with 7 chicks last time (2 marans and 5 SS) for $40.  The quality is good, they don't overcrowd, the chicks are healthy, so since i am only getting a few a t a time, i didn't mind. They are close to me, so i don't have to ship which saves $.  I wouldn't go off the prices on the website becuase they don't always have all the breeds or have it up to date. (they have 6 lemon barred cuckoo orp chicks for sale on the auction for $45 for all 6, so that is less then they have them on the website for) The SFH should be hatching late april early may. I want to get some too, so when they hatch, if you are still interested. i'll let you know the price and i can always pick them up. I am pretty close to lancaster. :)

I had emailed them about prices on eggs. Thats where I based it. You must live very close to a friend who got some of my chicks and hens. They are in the same town as h&h. :)

Edit to add: I have one SFH laying almost daily. Started incubating and they are fertile. Got two out of three, although my broody stepped on one. Also have five in the brooder from shipped eggs. Four are crested. If you want a few eggs or chicks as I hatch, let me know. I love hatching, more than I have room for.

Last edited:
woke up this morning, and noticed one of my SS chickens having way more feathering than the other, always had a hunch pox was a cockerel. they are same breed, same age but pox has noticably less feathering than Dumpling. they came out of the straight run bin at Saint Mary's TSC :) here are the pictures! He always had less feathering but I guess Dumpling just really feathered in on her shoulder last night haha.

side view

dumplings feathering

Back view :)

This may count as longest quote LOL

Look at my chickies! That big one is my favorite!

Shhhhh...
How sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey Wing....I was looking at google earth. Did you know you can get a good look at your chicken pen setup from the top. Maybe use that to plan future pen setups LOL. Print it out and show it to hubby with lines drawn LMAO
LOL STALKER!
You spin it of course silly...haven't you watched Rapunzel?
She is right ya know!
OK, i have a question. what is the purpose of nest box curtains? More privacy for the hens?
OMG is this coming up again!!!
Quote: YAY!!! I will put mine back in if you get some! LMAO!
York county by red lion
NORTH BERKS HERE! Welcome!
Quote: agree!!

This is Sylvia. She decided to fly out of the brooder and sit on my lap and have a visit. They are getting many more feathers and some of them aren't so cute anymore.
smile.png
lol she will be beautiful!!

My windows are about 5 feet off the ground. Should they be covered with hardware cloth? My carpenters think I'm nuts, but we do have bear around here. And in the summer, I might be gone for a weekend and the windows would be open. What do you think?
I love seeing your progress! great work!
I am looking for gardeningmama. I am new here to BYC and PA unite and she is supposed to be my guide to all things chicken.
and we love her too!
RIP Number 2. :'(
Lost my first girl to egg yolk peritonitis today.
oh no Gal! I am sorry! please let me know if you find any info so I can stash it too!
EXACTLY
Any idea what breed or gender these 2 chickens would be?

How cute! esp love the last one!!
Quote: Call them Waddles all ya want! sure I am off for a bit and then you come back! what the heck penta!! LOL
wheres sally, anyone heard from her?
idunno.gif
frow.gif

NW Pa here
N Berks here! welcome!

Yes, I too am a victim of TSC chick days. Heaven help me.
YAY HA HA HA!!! stinky duckies for ya!! YAY!!!!
Chad, I think I saw you today.....
ummmmmm that's not chad but I love them both!
Chad your grandchildren are due out tomorrow
ARE THEY OUT???? UPDATE Ed!! PM me if you still want a white Serama ROO please! I may have one or three!!
Hello! Delware County here, just south of Philly.
Hello north berks!!
My first bobwhite! Two days early.
YAY! RAY!!! awesome!! how many more are out?

Better?!? LMAO!!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
LOL looks like a bad tat!
Quote: COOL!!
Quote: LOL Hate when that happens!
OK 3 more photos for you guys to opine on Gender and Breed:

This is the welsummer that I posted before and we thought could end up being a roo. Still think roo?

Any idea on what breed? Came from a green/blue egg. Any signs of roo v. hen?

3 week old blue copper maran - friendly as can be. My daughter will brush the hair on her feet and she will coo! Any signs of hen or roo?
you still have no clue about these girls and guy?
Quote: 16 DOZEN!!!!!!!!!! HOLY ****!

...so...captain jack sparrow bit my son when he went to let them out of the coop. He was petting the brahma and when he stood up, captain jack bit him in the leg. Smh. I don't know what to do with him as he tried to do that to me yesterday, but I thought it was because he saw something shiny.
oh This is NOT GOOD penta! loose him!!
I have a door! This means less chickens in my house by the end of tomorrow! (Those darn 6wk old chickens STINK!). Still lots of work to do though....have to make a chicken door and build the auto door. Run the electric. Cover any holes in the eaves with hardware cloth. Cover the windows. Figure out how to enclose under the coop (Um, don't build a coop when the ground is frozen or you end up with the door 18" above the ground). Build a deck/steps so I can actually get into it. Order/install the door handle. Install poop boards and roosts. Build the PVC waterer and feeder.

And DH bought a solar panel for the roof yesterday! So I guess that has to be tied into the "electric" plans.

YAY :)

AWESOME!!! I love the door!!

I laugh in the face of child labor laws!!!
LOL I told the kids the other day, "you know why people originally had kids back in the day? FOR LABOR, GO CLEAN YOUR ROOMS N O W! "

The chicks new home!
LOok at all that area! They will grow fast now!

Finished product of my mandarin nest box!
I LOVE THIS!!!! cant wait to see the entire digs!! cool!! How many will you need?

From Pittsburgh, PA My chicks are 1 month old now. I am so proud.
WELCOME NORTH BERKS!!
Quote:

The girls are supervising their home construction!
awwww!!!
[/URL]

These are updates for u gardeningmama
YAY!! so happy for the birdies new home!! YAY!
I want this.......do you think hubby would get overly mad about it..??

oh my DID YOU GET HIM? did you did you??
Quote: X inlaws!!! YOUR TOO Young for an x!

Yep! Camping out back in playset! Mans night!!!

**** it's cold!!!!
daum!! it was cold!!! that will certainly man um up!
I believe I said in an earlier post that our Good Friday was a very good Friday!

Well after 10+ yrs we made it official.... Radioman is now my DH instead of my SO... (the 'fiance' stage was only a few weeks, so kinda skipped that step! LOL)

SO AWESOME!! CONGRATS YOU GUYS!
Hi, are there any single chicken ladies here in Pennsylvania?
I have a few single hens in the coop, they want to know how much money you have?
Quote: Chad I love you!
If you want to get a woman on here, you need to answer these really serious questions...

1) Do you have job and a good one (we need someone to fund our addictions)?
2) Do you have any carpentry skills (someone needs to build that new coop)?
3) Do you have a Lowes or TSC credit cards (do I need to elaborate)?
4) Will you remember my favorite breed of chicken on those all important special occasions (birthday, Christmas, Easter and any day I feel like I need more birds - diamonds personally don't cut it for me... Unless they are Diamond Jubilee English Orps)?
5) How strong is your stomach and back (euthanizing/processing is a part of animal ownership and some one needs to carry my feed from the truck to the shed)?
6) Do you like to travel (I like going on 400+ mile trips to get chickens)?

7) Do you look like Chad in a kilt (see a few pages back w/ the pics of the beefcake)?

lau.gif
HA HA!!
Where is Sally????
Hey!! Whats up! how are u!
Quote: oh it was sent a few times! love you guys! but no ransom! therein was the problem! lol like no one could throw in a chick or something!
Thanks, my friend. I don't have chickens right now. But I'm very attracted to a chicken lady. I'm a 46-year-old guy, hardworking and financially secure. I can help a chicken lady with her chicken (poultry) venture. I can even help her start a chicken farm if she likes. Of course I will share some of the chicken chores. By the way I'm from Allentown. And I don't mind driving.
Good Luck with the adventures! I suggest you get your chickens and she will comeeeeeee <spoken in a mystical voice>
Happy Easter!!!!! Everyone (belated). Congratulations to fisherlady and radioman! Missy have a great day today!!!!

Welcome to all the newbies!

Sally hope you are doing okay!

Just hatched 12/15 hatched eggs that came all the way from California! 3 Ameraucana, and 9 b/b/s English Orpington! Next up is home growns! Ameraucana, SLW, LF Cochin!!! I had an early one pop out tonight 3 days early! They were still in the turner! He made it to the bottom on his own alright. I left him/her in the bator and set the rest of the eggs down, they were peeping! Guess they wanna come out early!!!

If anyone wants a nice splash Ameraucana rooster please let me know. For breeding, not freezer camp. Not that I am against freezer camp, I am looking to sell him. No rehoming.

Good night!
Hey Heather, you know I am we chatted!! Did you get that guy some chickens together yet?
Quote: I am um little sorta BAWAHHHHAAAAAAA
Quote: HA!! too funny..... Are we either short or tall and no in between!!! lol
Hi Everyone! Its been a week since I've been on and there have been 1200 posts! Hope everyone had a great Easter. My hatches flopped so now I'm in search of some chicks for the girls to show at the fair in the fall? Does anyone have any available? What breeds and price? Thanks everyone.
I am so sorry!! what happened with the hatch! I sold all my chicks and I wont have any for two weeks. I am growing out a few from CPL stock not sure whats all in the batch yet! but she has awesome birds! so I am excited, heck even the chicks look designer! LOL
Sorry guys, I'm in Northeast PA near Bloomsburg(17815), but willing to travel or meet somewhere. Was looking for LF, Marans, Cochins, Ameruacana or others, LOL. My girls are in 4-h and they show them for 4-H at our fair in the end of Sept.
day late dollar short! sold all of them!
I'm just gonna throw this out there....I have 2 full grown Muscovy females (I got them about about 4 years ago at auction to add to an already older group). Over the years, the rest of the group has gotten old and passed. I also have 2 Muscovy/Mallard mix ducks. 1 male, 1 female- brother and sister. Their mother is one of the females Muscovies. They were born here June 20, 2011. Would love to see them enjoying a group again because they seem a bit bored, so if anyone is interested, please PM me.
Hi AuntyK do you have any scovy eggs by chance?

The latest additions to our farm!! 2 black ewes! Mommy is doing great and is so patient with me handling the babies. Good mothers are worth their weight in gold... :)
oh how lovely!! look how cute!!!
Quote: COCOA rocks!!
Who wanted wool? Let me know soon becuase we need to get rid of this pile. I am only keeping 1 fleece. All the wool on this pile is avaialbel. Most is good usable wool, just needs sorted, skirted and cleaned. It will be heading to the trash if no one wants any. Just don't have the time this year to sort it all... :(

Naked Sheep!!!

The new babies! They are doing great! They can actually find the udder now that all the wool is gone!
Holly blankets and sweaters!!!
Hello all. Brought home our first six RIR'S on Friday. Login them little fuzz balls.
YAY!!! I love RIR!!! sometime I will order heritage eggs!!! love them!!
I'm an hour west of Pittsburgh, just on the Ohio side of the river below Wheeling. Hope it's ok to pop in here. I frequently make runs to PA for birds & wanted to see what everyone has. I also have about 200 chicks 2-9 weeks old for sale if anyone is in need of chicks.
Hi SS!!
Does anyone know how Chad's little one is doing? I think she had surgery.
she was a typical kid full of energy the other day, so I would say she is well!! love that girl!!
Peach Bottom, Lancaster County....representin :)
Welcome North Berks!
My broody hatched a chick! My broody hatched s chick! (I'm excited, new to me.)

The eggs werent hers and the green ones just got laid in there today. She still managed to hatch at least one! Monday was day 21.
CONGRATS!! isn't it cool to see her up with them!! I was thrilled at the way she would pick up foot and drop it so they would eat it!! awesome!!
I just got my other electronic thermostat in the mail. Guess that means that I need to order another relay and buy another bator. Still waiting to see if that redwood pops up for sale... lol.
Betta, PM Ozexpat, he said that in some cases you don't need the relay for them! or look at his prof and in his signature I asked him to throw the info in an article, he said he did it last night as a matter of fact!! check it out!
My SO just gave the OK to host a swap here at our house if anybody is interested. We don't have a huge property for camping, but we have plenty of room to set up lots of tables, etc. (This is a good excuse for SO to clean out the barn!!) We do have ducks and geese and I must protect my flock as well as yours, so eggs and chicks only, no adult birds. We are about 5 mins from the Lebanon/Lancaster exit of the turnpike (I am on the map in my signature). Let me know if anybody would be interested.
whooooottt!!! chickens booze guns and dirtbikes right?????
ok, its now over a week since sally was on here, time to send out the bloodhounds
gig.gif
I was bitten my friend! lol
Cubalaya hen with chicks. The little red one without the black stripes is an unusual color for cubalaya chicks.

awwwwwwww what great images too!!
Quote: holy baked goods batman!!! I trade chicks for good snacks!! LOL
I am selling out of Ameraucanas!

I have 13 adults blue/splash wheaten and wheaten birds, 2 pullets growing out (5mon & 6wks), 3 chicks in the brooder (Easter hatch) and a couple dozen in the incubator hatching out in the next 4 days to 2.5wks. I also have 20 wheaten chicks coming from Paul Smith. sometime soon.

I also have 10 2.5wk old BBS & L bantams I hatched form Little Ameraucana Mom's eggs.

Let me know if any of you are interested.

ETA: UGH, why do I not have any PA friends... or any BYC friends... like 80% of you do so I can vent?
awwwwww what do you mean you don't!

Today's eggs, AND if you look in the center of the flower on the right....Ta Dah!! My first Olive Egg!
Blarney I love that pic! cONGRATS!!!!! How are goat pregos coming along???
My spangled cubalayas.
how cool are they! OMG!!! I want some!!! too cool!
I am pleased to announce that I purchased Reyvaugh's LF Ameraucana. I know it is a bittersweet feeling for her. We are very excited, and thank her very much!
YES HEATHER!!! you failed to clue me in on this one!!! he he he
Hi to everyone noticed i live close to some of you!
welcome! north berks here!
Quote: I say cochin too.
SAEGERTOWN, PA

ANNAP

wee.gif
wee.gif
welcome!!
Quote: I LOVE IT! and lets read what others suggested before I type a story.... at some point I will make a fresh batch and throw images in a pm. ITS EASY
Quote: perfect explanation...... and eggs are huge, feathers come in faster, birds get bigger and poo doesn't stink NEAR as much! feed is cut in half if not more!
Quote: can you get a back shot? agree on the 3-6 months with cochin!
Well, my White silkie bantam pair, Reggie & Rory, were out enjoying the weather today!
smile.png
Thought I'd snap some pics!
What a cute couple!

He's getting more gorgeous every day...

Oh my gosh, she loves to pose!
lol.png

She's actually getting quite lovely, you'll see her all spiffy at the York show!

Also, an update on the babies I moved. They're all doing quite well...
YAY!!!!! lovely too! I love my whites, um and blues and blacks and splash and partridge!!! LOL
Quote: LOL and you wouldn't have had that issue if I would have known he was a roo when you came for him!! LOL
Anyone in the area want a single Blue Slate Turkey poult? It's a week old and in with my chicks. Only one hatched, figured if someone has space for it, it would be a nice thanksgiving meal. I'm getting Bourbon Red eggs this weekend, and even if I get 25% hatch, I'll have too many. Darn ebay!
I think Heather has blue slates.... HEATHER????
I have a few Black Copper Marans chicks and started chicks that I'm will to part with...... PM me if interested.

Some are either very lightly featherd shanks or clean-legged,,,,, some can sexed fairly accurately.
prices? I still need one girl for layer coop!!

I can't get over how much she loves the chickies!!!
awwwwwww so cute!

The pond tonight.

Most of my crew :)

My crew deciding its time to go home.

They run in a line.. Follow the leader!

The mallards... the male I raised. He is a TSC baby! But he went wild and found a girley. :)

He watches over her so well:)

She blends in so well!!

1 of their pair's of geese :)

The mallards.. got a quick pic of them in flight! The male is on the left female is in the bottom right (look very close!).

The female.

Sunset at the pond :)

Just wanted to share some pics!!
WOW beautiful shots!
If I didn't already have a stomach bug, I would be sick to my stomach this morning. Went out to let the chickens out and found My favorite pekin duck, 2 young turkeys and one RIR (who stays outside with the ducks and turkeys) killed. The turkeys didn't have much damage, the RIR had his neck chew out, and most of the ducks neck and chest were gone. Could not find any signs that anything broke into my run. Don't know what to do. I guess I am going to have to force the rest of the ducks and turkeys to sleep inside. I am down to 1 pekin, 2 mallards, and 2 turkeys.
oh eli! I am so sorry!! I hope you feel better too!! awwwww did you snag the sucker yet?
Does anyone in the Hershey/Lebanon area have chicks to sell? Already have SS, RSL, brahmas, JG, golden comet and assorted bantams. Looking for something different.
sorry I just sold all of them!!!
We built this feeder today and layed out plans for the automatic waterer. DH will run to Lowe's after dinner. We are using a large metal water tank for a holding tank. Is using metal an issue? I will have a little cleanout valve inside the coop on the PVC to add ACV or meds or anything.

We also found all of the extra 4x4s and fence posts that we have laying around so that we can start to map out the run.
And we started laying out the deck for the coop.
And we brought some of the chickens out into a playyard in the grass so they could have their first fun in the sun!

Busy day. The girls (3 & 5) are exhausted and so am I!
LOVE IT!!! awesome!!!
Quote: how cool, loving the colors too!
Quote: lol they are loving it though!!
Does anyone happen to have any german line nh peeps they would like to sell?
nope
I have a gorgeous, 8 month old Porcelain (upon close inspection, this bird is actually porcelain, not lav wheaten) project Ameraucana Rooster forsale if anyone needs a handsome yard EE
URL]
He will make beautiful babies! I can deliver to York Show, or he would need to be picked up here in Berk co. Let me know if any of you guys want him...

cant do it! but how pretty!
this is a fantastic image!
enjoying the goats

awwwwwww how awesome Looks like a dream come true GOOD FOR YOU BLARNEY!
We tried to get the coop to look like our house

COOL!!!
Here is a newly hatched brood of chicks. These are cubalayas and my favorite chickens of all time.
love them!!!
This was today's project. One of the nipples leaks and will need to be replaced, but I'm pretty happy with it.

And here is one of my little friends checking it out. This is a better (more recent) picture of the one that I thought was maybe a cochin. She's 4 weeks old...thoughts?
did they take to it right away? awesome!
Hello All, sorry I been super busy with the green house and the whole spring thing. I like to thank everyone with all the great help dealing with shadow and her cold. now my question is.. she won't roost. She just sits on the floor while all my other birds are up in the roost cozy and happy. She sits on the floor. i never see her fly or even try to get up there. All she does is stay on the ground and chirp in this sad little sound.. is this normal?

how is her vent? her poo? her crop? did you feed her anything odd to snack on? poor girl

Yea the addition is finally done. Now to throw the garage dwellers out.
oh look at them!!! I love that chest!!

T
here was a brush fire not far from the house today.. We think quads are the culprits... Nothing major burned thank gods but it was enough. So everyone be warned things are DRY out there right now!
That is really scary!!!
Quote: I'm back! weather you like it or not! he he he
Quote: went well!! I would have loved more action contests but one was enough for me to do!
Quote: awesome where? 6x6 you downsized LOL
Quote: Mornin Mich! you have a lot of reading to do on the diary thread! but not as much as I have here!
Wb Sally! Everyone here missed you. Thanks for all the work you did on the hatch! Now back to a different kind of craziness.
Hi Ray!! your welcome thank you!!

A few of my new chicks at one week. Lemon cuckoo keep over blue and black orp.
Any guesses on what is going to come of this?
awwwwww
Morning All!! Welcom back Sally! I have to go up north to around shaffertown (just below lebanon) on wednesday for work if anyone needs transport. Just let me know. i have to be up there at 10:30 but will be available after lunch most likley. I am loving this BEAUTIFUL weather!! So are the chickies!! Also, H&h has BLRW chicks available, they posted pics of the parents on FB. Very nice birds!
it is gorgeous!!!

shwew I better not do that again! HOLY MOLY!

I had emailed them about prices on eggs. Thats where I based it. You must live very close to a friend who got some of my chicks and hens. They are in the same town as h&h. :)

Edit to add: I have one SFH laying almost daily. Started incubating and they are fertile. Got two out of three, although my broody stepped on one. Also have five in the brooder from shipped eggs. Four are crested. If you want a few eggs or chicks as I hatch, let me know. I love hatching, more than I have room for.
If you have a pullet or young hen that would be great!!! If not, I will probably take a few chicks. I just want one hen for my flock. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom