Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. eweaber

eweaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    Lebanon PA
    What is their personality like? I have 2 young kids and anything I consider must be "nice"

2. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

They are pretty calm. Mine just kinda exist LOL. I have plenty of other ducks I found I tend to not notice the cayugas.. they dont do anything special/ catch my eye too often from being bad LOL. I think they would be fine around kids... all ducks if raised around kids would have no issue with them.. The only ones I have ever bite me was my jumbo pekins... but it seems to be just mine that are little pains! Haha

3. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Depends on breed & temperatures. Silkies see to always nest on the floor at night snuggled together but will occasionally roost if you have a roost about 6 inches off the floor that they can just hop/step up onto. Some other breeds tend to prefer the floor as well, usually broody breeds. Some of my chicks roost as early as a week or so old, others are nearly at laying age before figuring it out. If it's cooler out they will often take longer to roost because they are warmer snuggled together in a pile.

Post pix. Maybe I can ID them.

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    That egg decorating looks like Polish/Slovakian psyanky. Done with egg dye and the designs are covered with wax done in layers as each dye layer is added. Beautiful , exacting work. All the grandmothers used to do it, now it's a dying art..literally.

5. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    Hey! Where did you get that pic of me???? [​IMG]

6. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I saw it months ago. It fits someone else here. My chicks from last year suddenly began roosting after several months. They always slept by the door. Sometimes now a few sleep under the roost. The Leghorn chicks have been roosting since two weeks with the Old English chick. The Cochin just started at four weeks. Some people just put them on the roost every night.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  7. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I may be up for a jaunt
    pictures...
    Just because you friended me on facebook and unfriended me does not make me a monster...[​IMG]

8. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

9. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    thats because they're like me, too heavy to get their fat butts up on the perch[​IMG]

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Interesting! she said an old-timer taught her when she was little!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by