Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. chickencowranch

chickencowranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Mt Wolf, Pa
    My Coop
    UGHHH! A lot of my birds have been in the basement since Christmas when I moved to the new house. We are gradually tossing them out as we get new coops done, but the basement is going to need to be HOSED when we get the last of them out. We have done what we can to keep everything shoveled out, but it all still smells like chicken poop. I'll be breaking out the gallons of bleach & the power washer. 

How can do you put up with the smell that long? Our other farmer neighbors get chicken manure trucked in for fertilzer. for their fields. The air smells horrible until they decide to spread it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

I'll be there, judging starts at 9:15, show should run till approximately 3.

3. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

For those of us who have never gone to/sat through a show....what exactly happens??

4. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    [​IMG]

5. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    Is any one interested in cream leg bar chicks? Green fire farms line. Might have some extra's.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    MOLT!

I was thinking mine were molting because I also lost egg production, but a week later and I see feathers gathering although only one girl looks terrible, so I can only presume yours are going through it too! My first signs have always been production and then I start to see feathers in nest boxes and then BAM comes the ugly!

7. roseschickies

roseschickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    Are you saying that to missy or me?

8. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Just let me know [​IMG]

The more people getting birds/eggs the cheaper it will be for each of us on gas [​IMG] Spread the word!!!

Get them under another broody or in the bator ASAP!

Try 6 brooder lamps & 3 bators [​IMG]

Lemme see: sebbies, runners, calls, pilgrim geese, coturnix quail, plants for my garden, a cabinet incubator...

I can do pretty much any day as long as JJ stays home to feed & get kids from school & we don't have an apt that day.

I do my ducks the same as my chickens (mostly because I hatch them together). I never mist them & I run humidity 30-40% (still air, add 10% for forced air) until lockdown. I have found I need just a little higher humidity during hatch for waterfowl than chicks but not a lot. I run around 40-60% for chicks & 50-70% for waterfowl. If they are hatching together I go with 50-60% (again, all still air, add 15-20% for forced air for hatch).
    I would worm her (& everyone else too just to be safe) since she feels skinny. Also check to make sure she isn't egg bound. She could also be molting. Since another hen died, there's also the possibility she could be sick if the other hen was.

Mine dropped production during the cold snap too, now we're getting more eggs than we ever have from them. I know my ducks are molting because there are feathers EVERYWHERE!!!

It wasn't bad at all until it started to warm up this past week. Now I'm trying to get JJ in gear to get everyone outside ASAP so I can get everything cleaned out before the smell comes upstairs. Luckily (or unluckily for the legs) there's no door between the house & basement. We have to go outside to get down there so that helps keep the smell out of the house. Most of them are actually under the enclosed front porch that connects to the basement so that helps keep the smell out of the house too.

Quote:
    I would be interested in pullets. I have roos already & a few eggs in the bator but want some extra pullets.

9. roseschickies

roseschickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    OK I have to run to agway any way this evening, before I go I will give her a good look over, anything you can recommend I pick up for her? I thought she was just depressed and would start laying again, but thinking it is just to long now... I am not sure the other was sick.. I did take them to the vet when she was sick I medicated them both just in case and everyone seemed better, She (Oriencia, the one that passed) laid what looked to me her biggest egg, and died, that morning not long after egg laying, She looked fine that morning...

and how do i check for her being egg bound? Oh man.. what am I gonna have to do!!! [​IMG]

Oh I also put ACV in their water

Great video!!!
    http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-help-an-egg-bound-bird

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by