Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I just had a casualty...

Earlier I let the ducks to the pond.. they came back with in an hr which I already knew something was up.. They where not acting right... So I did a head count on them... I was missing Dopy my crested pekin.... We had gone searching for him.. after some time we found him. He had floated to the end of the pond upside down.... :'( I couldn't find anything such as being shot... I think he may have been drowned by one of the ducks (unlikely) or by the geese.. (wild geese that are going to be nesting) I didnt think anything like this would happen! Nothing happened any of the other years.... And I am just dumbfounded. My heart is broken...............

So sorry!!!

What is the main difference between EE, OE and rainbow layers? Gets a little confusing after awhile.
EE is pretty much any Ameraucana cross & can lay blue, green, pink, purple or brown. OE is an Ameraucana or EE crossed with a chocolate egger (marans, wellie, etc.) to produce the darker green/khaki colored eggs. Rainbow layers come when you mix a flock of brown, blue, green, olive, chocolate, etc. layers & get a wide assortment of colors such as in my ad for Rainbow Layer eggs. They could lay just about ANY color.

Hello all. I have 6 RIR's that are currently 2 weeks old. I am in the process of building a coop for them. I put together a 4x4 frame but am now wondering if that will be big enough. They will have a decent sized run plus free range time. What do you think?
Depends entirely on your chicken math skills
hide.gif

Annie, my 4 and 7 week olds have been out for over a week now. I'm in Howard, just down the mountain from you. I had a heat lamp in there the first week (it was COLD), but it has been off the last few nights. They did fine last night and it's not supposed to go below 50 tonight.

In other news, my #2 rooster (7 weeker) has been picking on a couple of the 4 week old girls. No blood, but definite feather loss on their backs and I caught him in the act today. He earned a trip to isolation in the dog crate (still in the coop). How much crap do you put up with from a rooster? He hasn't shown aggression toward people. DH wants to know how soon we can eat him? Ironically, his name is Chicken Noodle Soup.
Whenever he's to the weight you want him to be, younger means more tender
wink.png

I'm starting small to make sure I don't kill any but thanks for the idea. I think my wife would not be happy with more right now. She just texted me that we had our first escapee from the brooder tote. Lol
Time for a wire cover on the brooder. It only gets worse.
gig.gif

I just had a casualty...

Earlier I let the ducks to the pond.. they came back with in an hr which I already knew something was up.. They where not acting right... So I did a head count on them... I was missing Dopy my crested pekin.... We had gone searching for him.. after some time we found him. He had floated to the end of the pond upside down.... :'( I couldn't find anything such as being shot... I think he may have been drowned by one of the ducks (unlikely) or by the geese.. (wild geese that are going to be nesting) I didnt think anything like this would happen! Nothing happened any of the other years.... And I am just dumbfounded. My heart is broken...............
Sounds like maybe the wild geese ganged up on him.

I just had a casualty...

How terrible. Hugs to you. :(

So sorry to hear...
hugs.gif
I don't know enough about normal duck or geese activities to offer any insight on what may have happened if you can't find any bruising or broken bones.
Again, so sorry...
Sounds like poor thing drowned. That will happen if they are held under water for too long by another bird on their back trying to mate them or fight them.

I just had a casualty...

so sorry
hugs.gif

I just had a casualty...

Oh no! awwwwww
hugs.gif

I'm starting small to make sure I don't kill any but thanks for the idea. I think my wife would not be happy with more right now. She just texted me that we had our first escapee from the brooder tote. Lol

This is just the beginning of the fun! LOL And don't worry...the chicken math WILL occur.

I am going and I am up near Hazleton. We are also stopping at "that pet place" in Lancaster.

Plan for at least an hour in "that pet place"

I just had a casualty...

So sorry for your loss.

I just had a casualty...

Very sorry....

Back
Top Bottom