1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    LOL, my goats, don't even have a fence. I quit trying to keep them in years ago! I only have 2. My neighbors aren't really close. They don't wonder far either. Yes they are smart enough to figure out the electric etc.............. you may never be able to keep them in again!

2. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I will weigh in on this. The chipmonk colored one will probably look like:

[​IMG]

The reddish/buff/orange might be:

[​IMG]

I got both of these from the internet, do an easter egger chicken search. I do not own these photos, nor am I trying to say they are mine! Sorry for the disclaimer.

3. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    question about egg color... correct me if i am wrong please.

legbar+maran = olive egger

legbar+ any brown egger= EE

ee+maran = olive egger

any thoughts?

4. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    yes, you are right!

5. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Give me five weeks notice and I can put green eggs in the incubator (lemon peep rooster in with them) and I can havev two week olds! All I had are gone.

6. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Hi guys! Does anyone want ducklings?
    I have a friend down the road who has a trio or rouens and a trio of pekins housed together, and they have eggs coming out their ears. He offered to give me eggs! I can hatch but I can't keep! Because they are housed together, I can get pure Pekins and Rouens and crosses!

7. eweaber

eweaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    Lebanon PA
    I might be. Where are you located?

8. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Pretty sure I have some around those ages. Could be 10 or more if I remember right. Haven't counted in a few days.

Here's the thing about EE's: They can be ANY color & will always change from what they look like as chicks. The only thing you can really tell on these 2 is that 1 will have more buff/orange & the other will have more brown & black.

That would be a good experiment.
    My daughter was having an attitude problem this morning & ended up being the 1 in a bad mood on her way out the door after mom popped her 1. Maybe she will think twice about giving mom attitude that early in the morning again, but I have a feeling she will forget quickly.

Sounds like molting. Still wouldn't hurt to worm & treat for mites just in case if she feels skinny. I use Ivermectin cattle pour on (.5 ML for a LF bird, .25ML for a banty of 1/2 grown LF, just a drop for a chick). It takes care of both. There are other natural remedies available for worms as well. Pumpkin seeds work well. Haven't found much else for the mites & such though.

There is NO SUCH THING as a goat proof fence!!! Get used to it or give up on the goats...LOL

No such thing as a sheep proof fence either apparently. [​IMG]

Goats WILL escape. That's a given. They especially like flower beds, gardens & pretty bushes.

We always had to end up staking ours out on dog chains. You have to move them frequently & untangle them until they figure out how to NOT tangle themselves completely up. But at least they stay where you put them that way.

Yup, pretty much sums it up.

I'm drowning in duck eggs myself & have 3 bators pretty much full of ducks right now & about 13 running around 2 brooders.

I'll have runners & pekins available soon too if you want some. I'm over below Wheeling but will be heading east for a delivery run as soon as I can coordinate with Missy & a couple others who want birds.

9. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    I was thinking the same thing about my broody goose. I found this..... But I'm afraid she'll just chew through the cord. http://incubatorwarehouse.com/eggometer.html [​IMG]

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by