Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Apparently my girls are a bit miffed at being stuck in the brooder all day. The last two days they've enjoyed going outside all afternoon while I work on the coop. But today it was 45 and rainy. Tonight they are being a bit noisy and rambunctious. Thankfully I'll have their home done and them moved in by Sunday.
Totally understand what you mean! Ours are the same way after a day or two of free ranging they are practically banging at their run door the next day and don't like it when they have to stay in due to weather or work. Luckily they don't seem to hold a grudge.
tongue2.gif

Apparently my girls are a bit miffed at being stuck in the brooder all day. The last two days they've enjoyed going outside all afternoon while I work on the coop. But today it was 45 and rainy. Tonight they are being a bit noisy and rambunctious. Thankfully I'll have their home done and them moved in by Sunday.

Ours are the same way today. Hopefully we will have the coop done by Saturday night. Fingers crossed!!

I spent 2 days driving with my husband around PA looking for the coop I was supposed to get for my b-day. Finally got it, and was home after 10 last night.
Put it together, and decided to paint it before adding chicks. Thanks to the rain coming, I had to wait to paint. The storm licks up, the gusts are reported to be about 40MPH.
I look out the window to see the coop had ROLLED and blown about twenty feet, and is now in pieces.
Glad the thing was empty. Not sure what to do about it being broken. Try to fix it, or see if I can find another, and exchange it? Just return it (it had a small broken piece to begin with that I wasn't worried about)?
Oh my. That really stinks, I hope your new one is heavier. I have a friend whose dog house did the same thing, we used some t-posts to help anchor it down. It's worked so far.

I wish.... Just for giggles though, what kind?

I have a mixed flock of 4 Pekins and 4 of what I was told were blue Swedes. The "Swedes"... The drake is blue pied and the girls are solid blue. The ducklings I have are 2 blue pied and 3 blacks with bibs. Cami, the blue pied drake, is boss and won't let Donald, the Pekin drake, any chance with the girls.

Got new babies today. Trio of slates.
I also got a black scovy hen, a trio of Toulouse & 8 tennessee red quail, but didn't get pix snapped of them yet.

And you still want to drive 3hrs to meet for my 2? I won't feel bad if you say no. Just means more meat in the freezer for me! The one gander goes tomorrow for processing, btw. I can't wait to try goose!

Quote: I seem to remember "someone" wanting BO's!! If I have a good hatch, I will be getting eggs from Silkie Sensation. I have to have 2 dozen to be sure we both get some girls!
And I also need (at the same time) to get my BCM eggs from Beaglady. If I happen to mix 20 extra chicks in with the BO "accidentally" nothing can be done about it! You are too new to chickens to know which breed is which right off. Okay, I am too. But I will know what I am giving you, and won't tell.
duc.gif

The chicks in the incubator are up for grabs.

Quote: I was actually going to ask what you wanted to do. More geese is fine with me but if you would rather eat them than make the drive that's fine with me. I just couldn't pass up a proven trio for $45!!!!!

Quote: I seem to remember "someone" wanting BO's!! If I have a good hatch, I will be getting eggs from Silkie Sensation. I have to have 2 dozen to be sure we both get some girls!
And I also need (at the same time) to get my BCM eggs from Beaglady. If I happen to mix 20 extra chicks in with the BO "accidentally" nothing can be done about it! You are too new to chickens to know which breed is which right off. Okay, I am too. But I will know what I am giving you, and won't tell.
duc.gif

The chicks in the incubator are up for grabs.
I am swimming in eggs again!!!! Always plenty to go around.
wink.png

There are several breeds that are feather sexable, many heritage breeds. Mixes however, are not unless they are specifically bred to be by crossing a fast feathering roo with a slow feathering hen to produce the opposite in the offspring.

Really? I know the gene occurs in other breeds, but it was brought to my attention that having a slow feathering gene is viewed as undesirable and was therefor neglected, so most strains of LF aren't likely to carry it anymore? As far as I know, it will only be seen in some strains of the heavy weight, slower-maturing birds like brahmas, Cochins and some orps. But I don't believe the gene is diverse enough to be frequently found. If I recall, the gene responsible for feather sexing is recessive, so both birds must be in a homogenous state for it to show up in offsrping. Considering that most people don't breed for the recessive trait, I believe considering it as a reliable and common way to sex isn't something I would openly advise my poultry friends to do. Although, I believe I might be seeing it in a couple of my buckeyes, but so far I've dismissed it as coincidence. If you know a few strains and breeds where the gene is prevalent, give me a heads up! :) Easy sexing is the best! (will someone breed it into silkies? PLEASE??)

Back
Top Bottom