Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. PAChickenChick2

PAChickenChick2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2012
    USA
    Knowing how I am...I'd put them on the pullets and then forget about them...and then the chickens would grow and I'd wind up cutting circulation off from their legs. I think I would forget to check the fit of any type of band.

2. Zoo Keeper

Zoo Keeper Out Of The Brooder

I didn't hatch mine (not that brave yet) but I did the same thing. I had 3 white silkies for over a year then my DH was begging for polish. So when I went to get him 2, I got roped into 2 barred rocks as well. Then I picked up the bantam mix hen and her chicks at a chicken swap. Now we've added buff silkies also. What was i thinking? lol[​IMG]

3. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    well, my young ones are almost full size before i add them in so i go ahead and band just before i put them in with the older ones and don't have to change the bands again. this way i can tell them apart, the ones soon to start laying and the old one i can put in the pot as i need to, maybe one a month for chicken and dumplings

4. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Wire ties or cable ties, generally. Normally in the electrical section. They come in different sizes and colors. Just remember to change them as the legs grow so they don't harm the bird.

5. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I just saw your post, Missy. Yes, you can drop them off if you get a chance.

6. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    thank you will look and see if i can find some, course have awhile to go before i want to band them but i can get ready.

7. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    http://www.9thtee.com/zipties.htm

These zip ties are awesome until they are old enough to keep the spiral one on that is the adult size. They come in a ton of colors so you can separate among the peep too.

8. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    http://www.nationalband.com/leg.htm#992

These are the ones I use for adults, the ones called Plastic Bandettes. They are around #33.00 per 100. These go one my Ameraucanas around 4 months, size 9 for hens, 11 for roosters.

9. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    thanks, i was looking at those, different site, didn't know how they would work, i know the spirals didn't work to well for me, some came off
    may try these this year

10. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    have no problem telling the young ones apart, all different breeds lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by