Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I moved my first time broody silkie and now she won't sit on the eggs :( Should I leave her where she is and hope she goes broody again? Maybe put some golf balls in with her. The problem is my Silkies have never went inside the chicken house we built for them. They always prefered to sleep in the run under the chicken house. So when she went broody it was in the run right in front of the door! She couldn't have picked a worse spot. What should I do next?

Having a really rotten day,,,hubby handed me my favorite rooster by the feet and said do something with this,,,there was blood and it was not from the rooster,,,I did not have to ask what happened since this rooster never liked hubby......rooster now in fridge,,,a little depressing, but hubby does not fit in fridge.
I keep telling my fiance the birds were here before he was & will be here long after he's gone. That being said, he's the 1 that wanted to keep BOTH of the mean roos that I was ready to send to the chopping block. I sold the banty boy & we practiced for our meaties on the LF boy...LOL

Quote: I'm just barely in Ohio, just south of Wheeling. But for the right assortment of critters for the right prices (or the right number of birds) I have been known to drive up to 3 hours 1 way...LOL

Quote:
gig.gif

Quote:
ep.gif

I'm looking for duck hatcing eggs for my sister in northern NJ. so if anyone knows where I can get some for her, either in southeast PA or north NJ, let me know. She wants breeds that would be good egg layers,
Thanks!
I have 4 different breeds of ducks laying right now & can ship eggs if needed.

Our Tractor supply stopped carrying chicks and ducks weeks ago. . Wish they still had some....
I have a BUNCH!

One of our baby chickens that hatched out last week is acting funny. From the day it hatched it seems to be gasping for air. It eats drinks and moves around. Anyone have any ideas?

Did they have any chicks or hatching eggs? Didn't make it out of the house today to check it out.
no, weren't many people there, lets see, one lady had a pair of grown ducks, beautiful but not what i wanted, then a lady with two boer goats,
ep.gif
not cheap, and the men with the baby calls and baby rabbits , what are you looking for? i could set you up with eggs, but they would be a mixture of breeds, i have coronation sussex, blwr wyandottes , and i have a yard with a lemon barred orpington roo, one hen and a mixture of young hens, some of the hens are cochin and orpington mixed and theres a wyandotte in there along with a sussex so like i said, mixture, i also have a tractor that has a buff laced brahma roo with two buff laced hens and one gold laced hen, those i would have to charge for but the others, i can gather you up some for nothing.
big_smile.png
or you can wait til next sunday and see if you can find something at the fayette fairgrounds at the buy sell trade.

Having a really rotten day,,,hubby handed me my favorite rooster by the feet and said do something with this,,,there was blood and it was not from the rooster,,,I did not have to ask what happened since this rooster never liked hubby......rooster now in fridge,,,a little depressing, but hubby does not fit in fridge.

I keep telling my fiance the birds were here before he was & will be here long after he's gone. That being said, he's the 1 that wanted to keep BOTH of the mean roos that I was ready to send to the chopping block. I sold the banty boy & we practiced for our meaties on the LF boy...LOL

Here is the reason why you must take the time to find out what YOUR predators are gonna be.....I am literally only about 3 miles away and have very different predator's,,,,I get hawks but only in late summer early fall,,,,never had a raccoon problem, only time we see them is when sweet corn is ready and we set traps at that time....seen one possum in the last 3 years and it was obviously not well being out in the day time (really was not well an hour later).

with that said, my biggest predators are the sparrows that carry all kinds of nasty things with them and the pigeons (still looking for a useful purpose for these)....and the road, we live along a strip of road that people like to race on. 

[COLOR=0000FF]'really was not well an hour later' BWAHAHAHA!

SilkieSensation, great set ups! I should (God willing) have baby goats shortly, Nigerian Dwarf Milk goats. Although...I live a stone's throw from Delaware, and aren't you in Ohio?

Had one of those mornings that started off with the dog eating my breakfast..and things aren't exactly 'looking up'. Hope everyone else has a great day![/COLOR]

I'm just barely in Ohio, just south of Wheeling. But for the right assortment of critters for the right prices (or the right number of birds) I have been known to drive up to 3 hours 1 way...LOL

humm....sounds like you need a bigger fridge....lol

:gig

Here is the reason why you must take the time to find out what YOUR predators are gonna be.....I am literally only about 3 miles away and have very different predator's,,,,I get hawks but only in late summer early fall,,,,never had a raccoon problem, only time we see them is when sweet corn is ready and we set traps at that time....seen one possum in the last 3 years and it was obviously not well being out in the day time (really was not well an hour later).

with that said, my biggest predators are the sparrows that carry all kinds of nasty things with them and the pigeons (still looking for a useful purpose for these)....and the road, we live along a strip of road that people like to race on. 

Actually three only predator I've had get in so far was a possum in the run. Just a list of what's around.

Your hubby would fit if you butchered correctly, or get a bigger freezer.

:eek:

I'm looking for duck hatcing eggs for my sister in northern NJ. so if anyone knows where I can get some for her, either in southeast PA or north NJ, let me know.  She wants breeds that would be good egg layers,
Thanks!

I have 4 different breeds of ducks laying right now & can ship eggs if needed.

Our Tractor supply stopped carrying chicks and ducks weeks ago. . Wish they still had some....

I have a BUNCH!

I am Leary of shipping birds.. I have never had even eggs shipped to me.. Not sure why just never have.......

Hello from the northern tip of Lancaster County (I can throw a rock to the Berks County line)! :jumpy  For those of you in the Lancaster/Berks area, I was wondering what types of predator action you've seen or had to contend with when designing your coops/runs. We are fairly rural (we have 3 plus acres that border a larger tract of woods behind us before opening into a pasture land below. I know we have hawks, but I have neighbors that free range down the road from us, and other neighbors up the road that have an open pasture scenario, and both of those set ups seem to be working. I am more concerned about "paws in the night" trying to get into the coop. At this point I am planning for raccoons and maybe foxes, but are there any other critters I should be particularly wary of? We are converting an old shed that is on our property. Any advice is welcome!

Welcome aboard!

You need a walk in.

Was just wondering what everyone who went to the Sharpsburg Swap brought home? New birds? Etc?

I brought home 2 2week old pied scovie ducklings that come from a chocolate mom, and 1 1day old and 1 2day old French White Scovie ducklings who have been named Frenchie and Rizzo. We had 8 yo dgs with us so we stopped at Antietam. Frenchie and Rizzo got to go for walks (ok, they got held they are TINY) and lots of people commented on them.

I brought home nothing.  I was looking for nothing in particular.  It was fun to get away for a day!

Sorry we missed you.

:eek: I didn't know it was possible to go to a swap & come home with NOTHING!!!!

I was tempted...as they didn't have any actual chocolate scovies.....but then I saw the 1 day old...and my heart was taken.

So once we got home yesterday, we had to get ready to go out again, as we had a party at a friend's house in Lancaster County to go to. Everyone who was already here was already locked up. The 2 week olds came home in the dog crate I use as my transport/quarantine. DH put that out in the garage in the personnel side where it lives. Gave them a bowl of food and one of water. I put the tiny babies downstairs in the brooder with some food and water. Got up this morning, go out to garage to let everyone out/feed/water. Open the door...dog crate is sitting in front of me....empty! Ducklings apparently decided they didn't like the cage and squeezed between the bars and were huddled behind the trashcans we keep feed in. So after getting water for everyone else, I came inside and told DH I needed his help in corraling them. They have now been named Houdini and Copperfield. They are in a tote with sides too tall for them to jump out of. My 4 chicks that are (I believe) 8 weeks old had accomplished knocking open the door on the little coop inside the big coop, so they were milling about in the coop, and I had to get them all put back (not overly worried about them being out, as they're the same size as the sebrights...but I'd like to not find any of them squished accidently. One of my 9 week olds is acting odd..she was drooping and huddling and keeping her back to all the chickens and staying away from them. So I grabbed her and brought her in and gave her some vitamins. Now she's in a tote in the living room eating happily.

Back
Top Bottom