Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

UGH!!!!

One of my silkie hens was dead in the coop this morning. Different coop and she and the brahma had never been in contact with each other. WHAT IS GOING ON????

th.gif

And then....there were 3!! Broody did fix up our lil Cochin! I think one of her eyes may be pasted shut, I'm going out in a bit and get a better look. (Cochin is bottom right). No more peeping in the bator :(

Oh my goodness. Mama, any sniffling, acting lethargic? would you consider getting a necropsy?

NOTHING!!!

I would have, but she was stone cold already this morning. I am wondering if they just got too hot over night? It has been SO humid and sticky.

On a happier note, I just put 32 ameraucana and silkie eggs in lockdown and I already hear peeping. I set 16 polish Saturday night, which will be my last hatch.

So sorry to hear of yet another loss, mama2my4. The common denominator seems to be the weather. Of course, that could just be a coincidence.

kamir

Mama, you SAY it will be your last. I am going with another hatch by the end of September to mid October. No one ever says, "no more hatches this year" and means it.
I am so (sickeningly) sorry for the losses. It must keep you on edge just waiting to find another, checking constantly .... I hope it is just the weather. Sad as it is, a disease would be worse. Of course, that would get the chicks first, wouldn't it?
On a happy note, today is expansion day! The run is being expanded another 14 feet, and the chicks are leaving the brooder, and going into the new coop (the other side of a 12 X 12 shed that is divided in half. The new coop is 6 X 8). Everyone will be happy except me. All that work, and then scrubbing the brooder. If I can get .... I forget her name, but she has five extra pullets, and I am hoping to get rid of my extra roos, and get her pullets tomorrow. Then my chicken math will be done ... Until Chick Days @ TSC or someone has a chicken that needs saving. Darn! I better start building another coop.

Mama, you SAY it will be your last. I am going with another hatch by the end of September to mid October. No one ever says, "no more hatches this year" and means it.

On a happy note, today is expansion day! The run is being expanded another 14 feet, and the chicks are leaving the brooder, and going into the new coop (the other side of a 12 X 12 shed that is divided in half. The new coop is 6 X 8). Everyone will be happy except me. All that work, and then scrubbing the brooder. If I can get .... I forget her name, but she has five extra pullets, and I am hoping to get rid of my extra roos, and get her pullets tomorrow. Then my chicken math will be done ... Until Chick Days @ TSC or someone has a chicken that needs saving. Darn! I better start building another coop.

No really. I am going to spend the rest of the year growing out and petting out. I have 14 bantam orp chicks that I need to pair up and decide what I am keeping. 9 bantam cochin chicks, 2 bantam langshan chicks, 1 bantam polish chick a few silkie chicks, 32 silkie and bantam ameraucana in lockdown today and 16 bantam polish I set on Saturday. I need to evaluate, evaluate, evaluate!! And then I will see what I need int he fall. Possibly some bantam marans :)

I am selling 6 silkies to a fellow BYCer in 2 weeks, and then I need to once again go through my silkies and see what is staying. I know I have a few spare roos out there that need to go.....

Sounds like you have a busy day planned!!!

Just pulled these out from under my broodies.

Beautiful Babies Mama
jumpy.gif
Quiet Morning on BYC
caf.gif
Happy Note: I plugged the bator back in as Blarney suggested, and would you believe 4 of those eggs are healthy with veins everywhere?! I think eggs are more resilient than we give 'em credit for. So,..I'll go through an entire hatch for 4 eggs, but how can I not?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom