Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!! I found my Australorp in the weeds not 15 feet from the coop...sitting on at least a dozen eggs!!!

Ok, so here is my question; since I am afraid of predators getting her, should I move her to a next box inside of a coop or leave her alone? She survived last night out in the wild but that luck could run out. Help! What should I do??? This would be so much easier if she just would have gone broody in the coop.

Omg I'm so excited for you!!!! I'd move her to her own place for broody hens so she can do her thang and hatch out her babies undisturbed.

WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!! I found my Australorp in the weeds not 15 feet from the coop...sitting on at least a dozen eggs!!!

Ok, so here is my question; since I am afraid of predators getting her, should I move her to a next box inside of a coop or leave her alone? She survived last night out in the wild but that luck could run out. Help! What should I do??? This would be so much easier if she just would have gone broody in the coop.
I am soooooo happy for you! I would move her at night. Have everything set up so you can do it quickly and not disturb her. When we moved our Silkie the first time she was broody she wouldn't sit on the new nest. We did it as soon as it got dark and I don't think she was sleeping yet. Good luck!

I would move her to somewhere she can be secured. She doesn't need to be totally separated from the rest of the flock, and she doesn't even need to be inside of the coop with the weather being warm, but she does need sturdy and safe fencing. If she doesn't seem keen on the coop idea you can try building a doghouse sized 'broody apartment' in a corner of your run, or if it's very sturdily built it can be outside of the run with a doorway into the run in a corner that you can fence off with wire if you want to. This will allow her privacy while she sits but she will still be out where she can mingle with the other hens if she wants and they will still see her on a daily basis. Then when the chicks hatch the other flock members will be able to see and hear them till you are ready to mix them in with the rest. An australorp should be able to defend herself pretty well though, so she my do fine just being left with the flock and let her do her broody thing.

Broody must be in the air.... Gracie is on hatch #3 for her year right now (7 out of 10 already hatched, 2 more pipped... so waiting) and Pidgy was parked in her nest when we got home from camp last evening, she had been acting funny on Friday... clook, clooking and speed scratching and chasing off anyone who got near her and I had commented that she was acting like a broody witch at the time. Guess I was right.

So gave Pidgy 4 eggs also, 3 are from the broody group, so hoping to get a few replacement broodies for the next couple of years. But they really need to stop getting broody on us, we now have to sell a bunch of chicks.

We are taking the plunge and heading to New York for the show in Bath. It's a combo show, 2 poultry clubs, 2 shows, one weekend. Anyone else in? The entries need to be post marked by tomorrow. I know this is last minute, but I had a hard time committing as we really don't have anything in 'show shape'. We're going anyway, only showing 4 birds are looking forward to seeing new breeders and having the kids do showmanship. Here's a little article on it:

http://www.steubencountyfair.org/documents/tWIN tIER pOULTRY cLUB 2013.PDF

and a web site...
http://wnypoultryclub.webs.com

I'm IN...
thumbsup.gif
entry mailed off at the last possible nanosecond! LOL.
I heard mention somewhere of a 1200 bird entry at this show, anyone know if this is the case?

Thank you everybody for the great advice. My wife and I decided that we are going to wait until about 10:00 tonight and move her into our newest coop. It has more nest boxes than are needed for the chickens that are housed in there and the nests are at the same level as the floor of the coop. That way, if some of the eggs hatch, they will be able to come and go from the nest box as the please.

I have only hatched eggs in an incubator so you have no idea how excited I am about this! As an added bonus, I hatched out the broody momma. I feel like I'm going to be a grandfather! Lol

[COLOR=0000FF]6 month old productions not laying?  sounds off, If they are free~ranging, look EVERYWHERE, those biddies are fantastic at hiding eggs.  If they are not ranging, my guess would be either these are some big birds and are not quite ready to lay, OR I would check for health issues, worms, bugs, ext.  There is a chance that you've got a snake or critters stealing your eggs, but that would be last on my list to check.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000FF]Crack your eggs and look for the 'bull's eye' or throw em in the incubator and see what happens.[/COLOR]

Blarney I'm not entirely sure they are production birds. Is there anyway to check? I did get 2 more eggs this weekend. They are smallish so I'm assuming they are first eggs.

I'm glad you found her!

Back
Top Bottom