Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Mine are outside n the winter also, even the little serama venture out daily..they do have a building that provides natural wind block and blocks most of the driving rains...

Met with blarney today (love the birthday card)
Daughter is falling for the 2 OE that I got today,,she really likes the little grayish one...and Oreo (my lonely mottled java) is just happy to have company....THANKS BLARNEY!!!!

Question for blarney or anyone that understnds genetics.......since these chicks are solid yellow they should feather in with a lot of white.....I have a young 8 week old black frizzle roo (I think)...what does that combination throw

big_smile.png
Happy Birthday Wing....
wink.png
....I am too early?? hahaha..

Question for blarney or anyone that understnds genetics.......since these chicks are solid yellow they should feather in with a lot of white.....I have a young 8 week old black frizzle roo (I think)...what does that combination throw

I would never claim to know about genetics. But can show you pics of the previous blonde cochins I've hatched and how they look, These ones are 12? days old, you can see the color coming in on their wings:

The pullet below is about 3 or 4 months old in the pic, it hatched blonde too. The last picture is the same pullet's back.

Now I am really curious what a black frizzle would do to that mix of color....I sense some spring time experiments.....the boy that I have comes from a mixed pen where all colors were running together, so hard to say what be is gonna throw

Sometimes I don't understand the logic of these people. Most the minks will starve to death and those that are trapped will probably face more gruesome deaths than they were originally faced with. Not to mention they're a threat to our HUMANE chickens if they do learn how to eat
Mike:

Some mottos.... "Live free or die" ...."Don't tread on me"....Their logic is..."if you were caged in that pen, would you want to be released....their fault is to attach human personalities to critters..jmo, but what would be bad about a wild minks population....we brought back elk...,maybe the minks would be a food source for bobcats etc,.

BTW, I will always side for more critters...even hawks...lol

Wing:

Researching this myself...a hard subject....some links..each breed seems to have dominant traits...color of eggs etc...its a breed by breed topic..(as best I can figure)...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Hundreds of mink were released in Cambria township. I don't think anyone lives in that area, but the people responsible may move on to the other mink farms in PA. There are three others. The place hit said they are worried they will be hit again.
Why am I not surprised...

. So now the animal huggers are thinking they are doing right by releasing carnivorous animals into an environment they have no idea how to survive in??? What an idiot move!!
Gotta love the bleeding hearts... We'll take it from a place where it was fed and watered since wenning and place it into the wild with absolutely no rehab, where they'll most likely starve or die of thirst, but at least it's no longer in a cage... Flipping idiots
ETA: This goes for any animal they release, not only the minks

Bet there will be alot of folks trapping those critters...
That was my first thought...

Mike:

Some mottos.... "Live free or die" ...."Don't tread on me"....Their logic is..."if you were caged in that pen, would you want to be released....their fault is to attach human personalities to critters..jmo, but what would be bad about a wild minks population....we brought back elk...,maybe the minks would be a food source for bobcats etc,.

BTW, I will always side for more critters...even hawks...lol

There is a wild mink population. Mink and other weasels are usually too nasty/onry for most predators to take on, or be bothered with. Predators like easy prey, not something that fights back. Besides that mink would be much more likely to survive as a feral animal, even more so than cats, as they have only been in captivity for 100 or so years vs the thousands that cats and dogs have been.
Reintroduction isn't always a good thing. I've seen the bad side of it first hand in Canada, when they reintroduced fishers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom