Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I am in Delaware County. Glad to hear you have no weasels. This board is intimidating. Reading about all the zillions of things that can go wrong, it's amazing anyone can keep these birds alive for more than a day. I am counting on it not really being that hard.

It is not that hard, but a common sense approach and a bit of planning ahead makes it a much more successful venture.... coops need to be kept dry and ventilated but not breezy, don't go cheap on food, quality food in the right amounts is needed for the best chance at good health and fighting off illnesses and injuries, prepare your coop and run based on the normal predators in your area... If you short cut to save expenses or time you may have trouble later down the road. No coop has to be Fort Knox or a Taj Mahal, but it does need a few basics.

Take the time to do some research into basic chicken health issues, many times the best treatment is preventative care to begin with! I spent a lot of time reading magazines, books and these boards before we got our birds and the learning never stops. It may sound intimidating but chickens are very hardy and forgiving critters if you just cover the basics. They are well worth the effort in companionship, eggs, meat and pest control too!

Good grief...I just sold 8 dozen eggs for the week and just finished washing and boxing up 9 dozen more (that includes 2 dozen duck eggs). They lay faster than I can get rid of them lol. I think I still have 2 dozen more on the counter. I guess they don't mind the cold weather or lack of sunlight.

Good grief...I just sold 8 dozen eggs for the week and just finished washing and boxing up 9 dozen more (that includes 2 dozen duck eggs). They lay faster than I can get rid of them lol. I think I still have 2 dozen more on the counter. I guess they don't mind the cold weather or lack of sunlight.

Sounds like your hens are doing good! Ours are in full blown molt mode and are down to about 1/3 of what they normally lay. Poor girls look like porcupines right now with all of the fresh feathers just starting in...

My hen's only a year old and she stopped laying for the season! She isn't even old enough to molt yet. I have 2. One's molting and the other's not laying. Anyone else's do this. Kinda dissappointed because I only eat their eggs, I refuse to eat store bought.

My hen's only a year old and she stopped laying for the season! She isn't even old enough to molt yet. I have 2. One's molting and the other's not laying. Anyone else's do this. Kinda dissappointed because I only eat their eggs, I refuse to eat store bought.
Unfortunately 'tis the season'..... many are molting or just slowing down for the season due to low light. Nothing much can be done other than making sure they have good protein/feed for new feathering and maybe additional light for the other .. hopefully they will start laying again soon.

Really, the rule is if you are in the mount joy area, you must stop to see both me and cbiques chicks, you can walk from one to the other if you are energetic.....

Energetic? Uhhh, you've met me, right?

I have plenty of that whole corn ready to go at 6 dollars for a fifty pound bag.....

Any chance you're headed to the dragon tomorrow? I could use a bag of whole corn...maybe test the 'active crop' theory.

Quite a few of my birds stop laying this time of year. I can buy eggs from a farm up the street when I need them, which I will, starting tomorrow. We wormed everyone tonight, I've never done it at night before, what a difference! DH came with me to help, and the only thing he had to do was reach the birds that were on top of the coop. Yes, it was that easy.

I am in Delaware County. Glad to hear you have no weasels. This board is intimidating. Reading about all the zillions of things that can go wrong, it's amazing anyone can keep these birds alive for more than a day. I am counting on it not really being that hard.

Hey Morf:

I grew up in Ridley Park...so did Blarney. There's a few other Delco folk on here. This is my first season and I've learned a bunch. All the folks on here are real helpful and nothing about chicks is that hard. Beware, its an addictive hobby....

A kidnapping has occurred in my flock. One of my dorkings(who was my first broody)...has one of the chicks under her....She's in the box next to the mama who has the other two...

On another note: my baby roo has decided to roost under the coop not in it...not too happy that he's decided to lay on the ground at night...much better if he'd perch off the ground...I have been putting him in the coop in the evening...a PIA....

And, the hawks are still making passes over my property...no incursions but I've had a number of low fly by's...the chooks have learned to be wary and hug the bushes though the morning and most of the afternoon...

Back
Top Bottom