Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I have two hovabators and I HATE them!!!

2. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    And that GLW roo could be set up with my lonely hen.

3. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Okay guys I have a question. It may sound stupid but, what defines a straight run?

4. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    And is it true that a hen can store the roos secret sauce for chick for two weeks?

5. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Yep

that means it is unknown if they pullet or roo.

6. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Okay. Wow that is insane. If humans were like chickens, geez . And I wasn't sure exactly what straight run was . Thanks!

7. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I read that that she could lay fertile eggs for a month after mating. I just looked it up, and it is fifty/fifty that the length is one month/two months.
    Like you said, Patrickschick. Wow!

8. Chicky Dee

Chicky Dee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    So quick question... I was looking at the swap games that are going on and several of them say you have to have "pure eggs". I am assuming that means you know who the mom and dad are...even if they are crossed. Or does that mean that they can't be crossed??

9. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    That is insane! I am going to segregate the girls. Keep the red stars or whatever they are from the rest and I'm not sure where the black copper marans roo is going to go. Maybe with the bigger population.

10. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Chicky Dee, I would also assume that 'pure eggs' would mean that the eggs are from one breed only, as in, you're cooping your breeds separately. BTW, LOVE your Avatar. Reminds me of my 3 and 5 yr old grandsons who just left here after sleeping over (although they don't ever actually sleep, not sure why we're calling it a sleep over).

Here is a pic of the first chick out. She's a mix between a Mille Fleur Banty Cochin AND a Lemon Cuckoo Orpington. The hen is so much bigger than the roo, I wasn't completely sure he was fulfilling his obligation. MsLadyHawk talked me into incubating these ones.... She really IS quite the enabler!! But wow what cute and funny looking chicks these will be.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by