Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    I was told that you could tell who was laying, cause they'd have broken feathers around their vents? I dunno..I know a few cause I've caught them on the nest...though I have 1 red laying and 2 being lazy butts...and I think the same with my barred rocks...though I can't tell any of those apart (of each kind)

2. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    gardeingmama, If I knew who the gift chicken was I wouldn't have to go through "the exam". I know what they all eat and how much and I know a great deal of variables. It's almost a science project if you will. I know who molted and who is currently molting,I watch their behavior, listen to the sounds they each make, I know who hangs close to the coop and I know the three that like to go on a walk about for some extra greens. Just like the women I have been married to I am trying to learn all the signs. it's TONS easier with chickens! [​IMG] The chickens don't say "I'm fine" when you know there is something clearly wrong. Chickens are far more transparent [​IMG]

3. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Ok, if you REALLY want to know, you can put lipstick (or food coloring) on each of their vents. Just use a different color on each.

1 person likes this.
  4. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    That's where I'm at. I have one that laid before I got her that she just hides in the coop and protects the SLW and the GLW. Those three hide in the coop. And recently my RIR has been in there as well as two of the comets have been hanging inside. SO ..I'm trying to figure out who is laying. Now we didn't have an egg for a day and than yesterday there was one egg and it is slightly different than the eggs that had been laid before. Longer, solid brown ( not speckled) and more oblong than the others.

5. Goober1201

Goober1201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Apollo Pa, 15613
    They all have a bit of nasal discharge and some of them have a smell from there beak head area. But they all are eating and drinking fine. I'm just gonna pray and hope for the best. I don't want to kill off all my girls. The smell is not that bad per say, it just smells... dirty? Some smell worse than others, some don't smell at all. Only 2 have had a swollen eye and a caked eye.

6. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    That is GREAT idea! I have daughters and combined between the two oldest we probably have 200 different lipstick colors LOL

7. Goober1201

Jul 11, 2012
    Apollo Pa, 15613

hahaha, yeppers, born and raised in and near the burg!!!! PROUD TO CALL IT HOME!!

8. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA

Me too Goober!

1 person likes this.
  9. Goober1201

Jul 11, 2012
    Apollo Pa, 15613

OMGOODNESS!!!! YOU ARE JUST SOOOOO WRONG... BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAA

10. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    It's the truth! Isn't it something how you can ID what the problem is with chickens without them saying a word? Hmmm......Sorry just daydreaming. If a man says nothing in the woods, is he still wrong? LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by