1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

My only experience was a few months ago, eggs I purchased of the BYC classifieds. The box arrived with the corner bashed in. CR Farms had packaged the eggs so carefully that they all appeared beautifully intact, however when candled they were completely full of hairline cracks. No fault of theirs but the postal service as is the case a lot from what I hear. It's risky, I ended up with 1 $35.00 Splash Marans (roo of course). I would recommend them though if you were going to do it anyhow, they did pack them perfectly, and had a nice variety , and sent 4 extras.

2. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA

I have a question. How bad of an smell are we talking about? I had a friend with a chicken that had crusty,swollen eyes. Nasal discharge, sneezing, wheezing, and lack of vigor. I told her to treat them with Tylan. That stuff will usually bring chickens back from the dead. It still hasn't gone away. More of her birds keep getting it. Some have died. Then there are others with some of the symtoms that go about there business. This is happening in her grow out pen. The only chickens that were brought in were some peeps from a hatchery, and eggs that were mailed to her. I smell something on there head, beak, mouth area. Its not horrible, its just there. Maybe its bronchitis? If anybody has any ideas that I could tell her please let me know. I suggested sending one to Harrisburg to get tested.

3. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    There are so many local breeders, I've never considered getting eggs shipped in...but then, I like chicks, not eggs...well..until I succumb and get an incubator!;)

4. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    This Pic made my day! The SIZE of those cheeks, and chillin in a Onesie! Almost makes me wish I had a toddler again. Almost.

Patrick, search 4H Poultry Showmanship on U~Tube. The kids demonstrate how to measure the pelvic bone on a hen. Of course, if you WANT to violate your hen, I'm not going to stop you.

Missy, you don't have an incubator?! Oh, you must get one! One word of warning: It is not a winter sport.

Goober, 'yenz'? Uh, Oh. Are you a Steelers fan as well?

Heather: I would persuade your friend to get a necropsy, the sooner the better. PA subsidizes the test, so it's reasonable. $25/$35 Better to know what your dealing with and treat ASAP. Also, make sure you don't handle her chickens and then handle your own. After being at her home, scrub your shoes with bleach (mixed with water), put your clothes in the wash and shower BEFORE going near your own flock. A lot of diseases can be carried in the bird's dander and you may unwittingly compromise your own flock.

5. Chicky Dee

Chicky Dee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for all your input. I am dying to hatch some eggs just because of the challenge. I do understand the low hatch rate, but I still think I am going to try it! If it doesn't work I will rethink it for the future.

Well my kids are asking for dippy eggs this morning so I better get moving!! Hope everyone has a great day.

6. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Chicky, before you order from out of state, ask any one of us who have eggs to get you some that you can hatch. Minus my sebrights, mine would be backyard mixes, but lots of these ladies and gents have better control of who their birds play with! I would think it's for morale it would be a plus to have a higher chance of success. (At least for me it would be). Plus, by getting eggs from local birds...you know they are already acclimated for our weather!

7. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Oh thank you for the advice Blarney, We actually have shoes we keep at each others houses. Maybe we need to do some clothes too! I feel so bad for her!

8. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I'm glad I could make ya'll laugh! I'm glad I didn't do it! I was holding one of the girls and turned her around just for a peek. My thoughts were, Jesus! There is no way I'm gonna stick three of my fingers in there and if I do, she is never gonna give an egg if I do! ;

Blarney, Yeah violating the girls is not on my bucket list. I am really hoping the talk works.

9. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay Patrickschick I've been thinking it since you first started with the who laid the egg thing, can't resist now that you've made this comment, it's your own fault. You've heard the whole "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth", well on the same note" Don't look your gift chicken in the a**". Be happy and eat the egg already!!! LOL![​IMG]

10. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I had to know they would be comments. lol[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by