1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I was always under the impression that if they were out during the day, there was probably a sickness.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yeah, usually raccoons and weasels come out at night or at the very least, dusk. We've seen a few, but nothing to worry about.

With predation, it's not a matter of if, but when.

We just sold my car this evening. Gonna go pick up my new car "Karlita" tomorrow! She's a 2010 Sportage!

The guy who bought my car was ecstatic. He's a mechanic and will fix her up to be his personal car. He wanted to know about all the "poultry" stuff. I told him I had chickens and he wanted to see them. I took him up to see them and he said "HOLY COW!" I asked if he wanted to hold one and he went "Noooooooo!" I think he was scared of my big ole babies! lol!

3. wlrabbitry

wlrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

My Baby Ameracauna chicks are hatching under my broody hens. so far 10 of 18. So excited. But I do need to find a home for my Wyandott Rooster. Before he starts making mixes.

4. Goober1201

Goober1201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Apollo Pa, 15613
    Congrats!!!

5. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    I, too, have always heard that weasels and raccoons were nocturnal. But I have learned that foxes are opportunistic and will hunt when ever they are hungry and can find prey. So, if it's not a sick nocturnal predator, it may well be a fox. Still a predation threat, but at least (maybe) not a rabies scare.

mm

6. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Could also be a hawk. One got one of my ducklings the other day...oddly not the tiny one...so she obviously knows how to hide better.

7. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Ok, need advice. I feel terrible. I didn't notice till last night that my Sebright chick's left outside toe curls under, so she's basically leaning on the foot rather than walking on it. Do I need to splint it? Will she be able to be ok with the other chickens outside the way it is? What should I do?

8. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Well, congratulations! May they all be girls! [​IMG]

9. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    I think if you search the learning center of this site, you may find some answers you can use. I have read of some people taping or splinting curled toes. I found the learning center indispensable for doing bumble-foot surgery on my Violet. I would recommend looking there. Good luck and let us know what you learn and if it works. And, I wouldn't feel too guilty about not finding it sooner...we only started noticing our SLW's crossed beak at two weeks old, and didn't realize how extreme it was until about nine weeks. If yours is still a brooder sized chick, you (I imagine) probably still have time to address it.

mm

10. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Woo Hoo! Bantam or LF? When can you tell the sex? (I have bantams and I want to know what they are, lol!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by