Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa
    Thank you she is quite pretty. She is a Bantam Cochin she is a Mille Fleur [FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]color.. I love her and just am hoping the rest of my Flock accepts her!!! Dont want to have to find her a new home :eek:(... So far not so good, had to remove my number 1 n 2 Hens because when they see her they run right after her and they even seek her out. UGH wish they would just cooperate.. [/FONT]

2. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Well if you HAVE to rehome her (nd I sure hope you don't!!) let me know.

3. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa

The absolute last thing I will be doing is rehoming her!! She is my daughters fav and I think she is so stunning plus I'm sure I would get back what I paid for her!! But I will def put u as number one on my list!! I am more tempted to get rid of my bad hens over her, but I know the dd won't like it at all!, do you still have silkies available?? If so whatcha got ?

4. honeyb

honeyb Out Of The Brooder

do i need to insulate my coop for winter? or any other methods for winter housing a begginer should know.

5. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    @Honey, I do deep litter method. Basically don't change out the litter, just keep putting more on top. In the spring, I empty it.

6. honeyb

honeyb Out Of The Brooder

that's what I'm going now but I'm scared for winter i was told by my sister not to heat, unless its really bad i can put a light bulb like 60W. but i was wondering what others do in the area? my chicks are only 3/4 months now so because their body mass is less will they be colder? i don't know

7. mama2my4

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I still have 2 splash/blue pairs and several younger ones. I am only keeping my calico pullet and maybe 2 little partridge chicks.

8. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    I have 3 coops 1 insulated 2 are not, more info needed to answer,,,,location of coop.....how many birds....breeds of birds...

My 2 uninsulated coops are beside a barn that blocks the winter time winds, and also have the most birds in....i use straw bedding in the winter time, and just rake the top and add straw as needed.

This is just my personal opinion and others may differ, but I do not provide any heat after 5 weeks of age, I believe they better regulate their body temps if left to do it on their own....But this could go back to what breeds you have.

9. mama2my4

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    We are insulating our coop. More for my peace of mind than anything.

10. silver1313

silver1313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    i did not insulate or anything last year (chicken novice big time then ) but they actually did fine ... they even wouldn't stay in the coop and went out to play and forage in the snow instead ... they still love snow and rain .. my chickens are odd though ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by