Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Good evening folks:

Quiet day on the board...had a visit from @flowerfaeiry . She brought many treats for her girls, and got to see them free ranging with my crew....amazing that all got along with minimal pecking etc....still can't integrate my outcast girl back into the flock, though the main roo was not near as aggressive with her....

I also got a batch of home made ACV....I may be testing the fermented feed alternative....and making my own ACV....what are other uses for ACV?

Hi,
Downsizing the flock for overwintering. Have about 25 started and adult birds to move out of here. 2-3 months olds 50.00 each with pedigree, 30.00 each without pedigree. Under 2 months old, 16.00 each without pedigree, 25.00 each with pedigree. My avatar is "May" at 10 months. One of the original foundation trio from Walt Boese Now 2 years old, she is my best hen and dam to many of the chicks. This season we bred her to her son, "Tux" to continue the pure Boese strain. I also obtained a proven show hen of pure English strain descended from the Ross Light Sussex flock. I bred her to Tux's full brother, "Knight and Day" to inaugurate the new Tewart flock of pure English strain Light Sussex. I have started birds from both strains available from 1 week to 3 months old in both sexes.
Best Regards,
Karen Tewart
Ligonier, 15658-9226
Best to contact me by email: a3riverschick @ verizon .net
Walt Boese Pure English strain Light Sussex
2014: Inaugurating what will become the Tewart flock of pure
English strain Light Sussex sourced from North American stock.
( very limited number started birds for sale from both flocks)

Good evening folks:

Quiet day on the board...had a visit from @flowerfaeiry . She brought many treats for her girls, and got to see them free ranging with my crew....amazing that all got along with minimal pecking etc....still can't integrate my outcast girl back into the flock, though the main roo was not near as aggressive with her....

I also got a batch of home made ACV....I may be testing the fermented feed alternative....and making my own ACV....what are other uses for ACV?

drink it! It has many health benefits including helping to control blood sugar levels, blood pressure, and by making the body more alkaline is thought to prevent cancer, ward off illness and more (i forget what else lol). I try to drink 2 tablespoons twice a day in a large water bottle. I don't always manage to but I try. It doesn't take long to get used to the flavor either.

Last edited:
For those who are making bone broth, the bones can be used more than once. Here is a second round, good flavor and color but not much gelling.......no wasting here.

You are amazing!

Good evening folks:

http://thespiritscience.net/2014/06/03/30-amazing-uses-and-healing-powers-of-apple-cider-vinegar/

Hi,
 Downsizing the flock for overwintering. Have about 25 started and adult birds to move out of here.    2-3 months olds 50.00 each with pedigree, 30.00 each without pedigree. Under 2 months old, 16.00 each without pedigree, 25.00 each with pedigree. My avatar is "May" at 10 months. One of the original foundation trio from Walt Boese Now 2 years old, she is my best hen and dam to many of the chicks. This season we bred her to her son, "Tux" to continue the pure Boese strain. I also obtained a proven show hen of pure English strain descended from the Ross Light Sussex flock. I bred her to Tux's full brother, "Knight and Day" to inaugurate the new Tewart flock of pure English strain Light Sussex. I have started birds from both strains available from 1 week to 3 months old in both sexes.
Best Regards,
 Karen Tewart
Ligonier, 15658-9226
Best to contact me by email: a3riverschick @ verizon .net
Walt Boese Pure English strain Light Sussex
2014: Inaugurating what will become the Tewart flock of pure
English strain  Light Sussex sourced from North American stock.
( very limited number  started birds for sale from both flocks)

How and where do you get a pedigree for a bird?

I'm so sad :( I left my guard down today and one of my hens got killed by a hawk. I feel really really guilty. She was one of my favorites and not just one of the other chickens whom I don't grow attached to. She was just dust bathing outside and I look out the window, and find a hawk on top of her body eating her :( Here's the Coopers Hawk that killed her...
Be careful everyone because raptor kills are higher at this time of the year since they're migrating south. Most of the songbirds have left already so raptors will catch what they can find on their way down. I thought she was safe out in my yard as I was outside often. But she wasn't. They seem pretty bold and determined.
So sorry, I keep seeing my girls hiding from the, in the morning. That makes sense as to why I am seeing them all of a sudden.
I save my dinner bones and leftover meat in the freezer until I have enough for the large stock pot. Cover with water and simmer it for 30-45 minutes; then I will add the veggies and season and summer another 20 or so minutes. Then they get canned (shout out for tattler reusable lids!). I have recently begun making meal for my dog - I put the bones and veggies in the crockpot, cover with water and set to low or warm for a day. Once the bones are soft I blend everything in my (shoutout) blendtec. divide in muffin tins and freeze, once frozen I remove the portions to a plastic container kept in the freezer. All easy peasy, cheap and delicious :)
Thank you for the tips!
to heck with the chicks, i want, mindy, is it? i just love seeing pic's of her and "her" chickens
Agreed!
Lovin it in Punxsutawney Pennsylvania! :D
Welcome!
Good afternoon all: Below is a pic of the latest on duel broodies...according to my math (always suspect), tomorrow I should start to see something going on.....though a couple of the eggs have been kicked out of the box and I lost track of eggs with one of the marans laying in broody nest box....
Love those pics!
Need to make cheese and put up tomatoes today...hubby may be dragging me to the home show instead. Poor guy, I have zero interest in that kind of stuff.
What kind if cheese are we making? I have tried Mozzerella a couple times but I have not had good outcomes. Queso blanco (or fresco, I can never remember) is easy though.
Well fisher, this morning I saw a baby peeking out from under the broody on the left (#2), two hours later I went to see if anything else was hatching and I found the baby under broody #1 dead....not a clue as to what happened,,,,,,,
Congrats on the survivor! Sorry about the loss...
2 little chicks were waiting for me in the incubator when I got home from work !! :weee One is a Rhodebar, looks like a male, and we have plenty of them already. But the other is the first chick hatched from the second generation of my Welbar project - sooo excited about that one. This is the 3rd batch of eggs and the first 2 were complete failures, I was beginning to think the roo was too young and inexperienced. But maybe the older hens just intimidated him for a while. Of the 8 eggs, only 1 hatched (so far), but it's a start and now I know he's doing his job in there.
Congratulations!

I am all bit up, and wasn't sure if it was from the grass or the coop. I just went out to check butts again, and all I see is molting, and one dirty butt that is irrelevant to the bites. As relieved as I am to not find anything moving that shouldn't be (one would hope the chickens are moving!) I am unsure as what to do about the stupid bugs biting me in the grass. Any thoughts?

The chickens aren't laying in the nesting box, no idea where they are laying,but it's not in the coop! The only eggs I get arethe eggs they lay before I let them out, I hate to leave them locked up until 2 but if it's what I have to do to get them to lay in the coop again I will. All because I chanced the nesting box, made it so it collected eggs in the back. I have a egg eater. any ideas? or do I just have to keep them locked up until they lay for a week?

The chickens aren't laying in the nesting box, no idea where they are laying,but it's not in the coop! The only eggs I get arethe eggs they lay before I let them out, I hate to leave them locked up until 2 but if it's what I have to do to get them to lay in the coop again I will. All because I chanced the nesting box, made it so it collected eggs in the back. I have a egg eater. any ideas? or do I just have to keep them locked up until they lay for a week?

Kada, mine are laying outside the coop too, my experience is that the best way to stop it is to find the outside nest and collect the eggs. Which I can't seem to do this time of year with all the overgrowth, so I do keep mine to their coop and run when I need more than a few eggs. I'll break them of this habit when the leaves fall.

@Anneinthesuburbs: Queso Blanco? Recipe please. I have been making a very easy Chevre. I have not been successful with Mozzerella, but did ok with some ricotta.

Kada, mine are laying outside the coop too, my experience is that the best way to stop it is to find the outside nest and collect the eggs. Which I can't seem to do this time of year with all the overgrowth, so I do keep mine to their coop and run when I need more than a few eggs. I'll break them of this habit when the leaves fall.
We live on 5 acres, I've checked all their favorite spots and haven't found anything. So today they will be kept inside until they lay, our sussed never lays until after 3, so might keep her in the run until then. I hate to do it but I need the eggs. I use 6 eggs a day and have only been gettign 2 or 3 instead of the 9 I usually get. Hopefully a few days of being locked in coop/rn will get them back into the habbit.

Back
Top Bottom