Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Here's how my 6 girls celebrated Pi Day :

So our girl is eating. She wouldn't eat the eggs initially so I took her a handful of blueberries which she promptly devoured. While handing her more blueberries and corn I knocked some eggs off the plate and she ate them. Dumped the eggs off the plate, devoured them too.

Mixed up some tetracycline water and she's drinking tons.

She's fiesty, hissed at a cat that warndered into the garage that tried to reach in a get her eggs.

Keeping my fingers crossed, hoping for the best. Thinking her name will be Hope if she makes it.

Sounds like good news if she is defending herself against the cat!

Her chances are good if she's eating & drinking.

Agreed! Hope it goes well for you!

Thank so! I had seen that before but forgotten!
The second part sounds great, the first part, not so much.
hmm.png

Don't give up! I found my hen in October one morning with a fox chewing on her back. She had several puncture sounds and some skin that peeled back. I treated her with hydrogen peroxide and tea tree. We also put her in a dog crate in the house for a few days. She has made a full recovery and is even laying again.

Ditto:

I've had two fox attacks where the girls survived...and one that didn't.....

Set my eggs for the Easter HAL this morning
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

Sweet! I can't ask how many, right? (since there is some contest to guess the total number).

I set mine this evening - quite a lot of them in fact.

I also found a broody hen in the barn today. She had an assortment of eggs, but only a few developing. I hate how they sit until 3 or 4 chicks hatch, then abandon all the others, so I swapped out her eggs for 14 fresh ones that will all hatch at the same time. I'm hoping this is the black hen that raised 11 chicks last summer without losing a single one! (we have several black hens and I can't tell them apart) I put New Hampshire eggs under her because I've found they free range really well and I'd like some hens of that color running around the farm.

With Easter coming up, I want to share a recipe for peanut butter eggs.

1C peanut butter
1/4C unsalted butter
1/4C light brown sugar
1 1/4C powdered sugar
2C milk chocolate chips
2Tb Crisco

1)Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.

2) In a saucepan, combine pb, butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Heat until completely melted and bubbling a little. Stir constantly.
3) Remove from heat, and add powdered sugar 1/4 C at a time and stir. Set aside and cool to room temperature.

4) Scoop out pb mixture, and form into desired shape. Plastic eggs can be used. It should slide right out. I use my hands to make a roll, then squish my hands against the ends to make an egg shape.
Refrigerate 30 mins.

5) Melt the chocolate and Crisco in the microwave at 30 second increments. Stir each time.
Dip each egg, using a fork to flip it over and lift it out. Allow extra to drop off, and place on the wax paper. Sprinkle any decorations on at this time. Or, use the end of a paintbrush to write or draw.
Return to the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set. If they make it long enough, store in a closed container in the fridge. You can freeze them too.

There is usually leftover chocolate.

Set my eggs for the Easter HAL this morning
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

Sweet! I can't ask how many, right? (since there is some contest to guess the total number).

I set mine this evening - quite a lot of them in fact.

I also found a broody hen in the barn today. She had an assortment of eggs, but only a few developing. I hate how they sit until 3 or 4 chicks hatch, then abandon all the others, so I swapped out her eggs for 14 fresh ones that will all hatch at the same time. I'm hoping this is the black hen that raised 11 chicks last summer without losing a single one! (we have several black hens and I can't tell them apart) I put New Hampshire eggs under her because I've found they free range really well and I'd like some hens of that color running around the farm.

I'll tell you anyway :) I set 21 eggs from @chiques chicks. They're so pretty, dark brown eggs along with some green and cream colored. Really excited to see how many hatch and of what.

Good timing on the broody! I love them so much... so sweet seeing mommas and babies. I feel like my bantam cochin is toying with the idea, but will probably go broody in about a month. Hope you have a good hatch with her! NH's are cool lookin' :)

Back
Top Bottom