Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

The Rhodebars and Legbars are trivial to sex at hatch, but Welsummers are not as definite. I'm right most of the time, but there are some I'm just not sure of. Welbars would give me chicks that are as sure and easy to sex as the Rhodebars, but the dark eggs of a Welsummer. The "recipe" to create Welbars is well known, and I've heard of others that have done it, but no one actually selling Welbars, so I figure I'd give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at how dark the eggs from my F2's are, though they are only 3/4 Welsummer (and 1/4 Barred Rock). The first few weeks of eggs did not hatch, but finally 3 hatched last week, but no double barred male chicks. This week 7 hatched and I think 3 are double barred. Statistically, 1/4 should be double barred (1/2 males, and half of them will only be single barred). So, with a total of 10, getting 30% is about right.

Genetically, their mothers could be considered Welbars, but not their single barred father, now with these males, I should have a true breeding line of Welbars.

That pretty much went over my head but sounds groovy. :thumbsup
PA chicken raiser here!!!

Welcome! What county are you located in?

Hey guys. Quick hello. I haven't stopped in and read the forum in forever and a day. Just f.y.i. Tractor Supply in Parkesburg, PA has chicks for 25 cents each. Also 2 free chicks if you buy a 50lb. bag of chick starter.
Michelle

Hello! I have one of your bantam Langshans from Rose, and she is currently sitting on fertile eggs as a happy broody (the hen, not Rose, lol!)

It would be hard to prove anything, but I feel like getting shipped through the mail is a bit more stressful for a newly hatched chick than the hatcheries would care to admit. I totally realize it's a "necessary evil" and supports a lot of people (hatcheries that ship chicks), so I'm not willing to say it should not be done, but much like eggs, shipping chicks reduces the overall vitality compared to the careful handling of local pickups. I've seen videos of how chicks are handled in bulk in the hatcheries. I've also handled a lot of newly hatched chicks, and they feel delicate to me, I can feel the yolk that they have not yet absorbed.

That's my theory.

Sounds reasonable! I think you probably are more selective in your breeding and have some good lines going. I'm impressed, I can really tell the difference! :clap. I'm no expert, but it looks like one of the Blue Marans (I think that's what it is) is a Roo. Bigger comb than the other and slightly different coloration. Also, it's day 9 for my broody. Hoping for some Memorial Day chicks! :celebrate

My 3 new turkey poults
smile.png

My 2, one week old poults are so affectionate! Both will try to jump out of the brooder when I talk to them to try to get to me and the one will run over the second I put my hand in, cuddle up in my hand and go to sleep lol

Auro:

Hope you get through the MG,,,sounds like those turkeys are behaving like the chicks we always want to hatch.....

It looks like this year will be another bad year for the gypsy moths on the trees. I go outside and hear them chewing and pooping every where. My car is covered in pollen and moth poop. Blah. I hope I don't loose more trees this year. The last time it was this bad, they killed so many trees.

Back
Top Bottom