Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I think I may need an intervention.....

I am considering getting a 2nd Jersey Giant pullet. Don't want my Princess to be lonely :)

2. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

Update,,, hatch going fairly well,,,, lost 3, 2 very big facing the wrong way to pip, seems the really big always have a tough time, 1 underdeveloped and dead in the shell, from a very round egg, was worried for this one from the start.

Around 20 out of the shell and doing well,,,,, 3 almost out, and all that have been assisted have sucessfully make out the rest of the way.

11 were shipped eggs, ebay, Kentucky, 8 were fertile, 7 have successfully hatched.

Only 7 more to go,,,, they were added late,,, I know it's not a good idea,,, but just had to add them when the girls were laying daily and they were such nice Marans eggs.

Just 3 more days of stressing and hopefulness !

3. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    That sounds like a pretty good hatch to me!! Can't wait for pictures....

4. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania

your hatch sounds like its doing well i hope the other 7 make it out okay good luck:D

5. Ray from PA

Thanks,,, I've been satisfied with the outcome so far, Just wish they didn't need so much help out of the egg,, not exactly my favorite thing to do,,, can't believe how long some of them take to progress, while others are out and about in no time at all.

Will be interesting to see how well the broody Cochin does in comparison.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] Yay

7. nothingbutbirds

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    ya i dont look forward to having to help chicks either but i would feel horrible not giving them a chance at life. i need to figure out if a still air or circulated air incubator is better so far im thinking the still air since iv had good hatches whith them once youve seen quail hatch chickens feel like they take forever.:)

8. Ray from PA

Everyone has their preferences,,,, I used a still air for my first hatch,,,, had a very bad hatch, not that it was all due to the incubator,,,,, now I use a circulated air,,, it's more stable and the number of chicks that develop fully is much higher,,,, giving some thought to using the fan incubator and then putting them in the still bator on day 18,,, I do think the fan dries them out a bit, even humidity is high enough.
    Now, when I assist eggs, I place them in the still to let them finish off,,, seems to be working.

Granted I'm very new to this,,,, so still looking for what works best.

As for those who say you shouldn't help chicks at hatch,,, I strongly disagree,,, once their out, they as strong as the ones that did it themselves, no obvious problems with them that I can see, even as they grow up. I have helped alot of my chicks in the hatches I've done, I even helped 2 peeps that the hen was hatching.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  9. nothingbutbirds

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    i just started with incubators i always used to just let the hens go to work tha bad thing about broodies is that they set when they want to even if iys not good for u i have three broodies right now to being silkies that had just started laying then a week later broodie i have a d'uccle hen on button quail eggs to im curious to see how thats gonna work out they r supposed to hatch tommorow cant wait:D

10. Ray from PA

I like the idea of letting the hens do their job because I work alot of hours and there's alot to do around the farm here,,,,, raising chicks just adds to the list of duties. And I really like broody hens and watching them raise and teach the chicks.

I've had good luck with some hen batches and then there was a batch where 3 hens shared the nest, an egg went bad and contaminated the nest,,, one chick hatched and all 3 hens thought it should be theirs,,,,, not a good situation. 3 Black Copper arguing over 1 crossbred baby that I didn't even want,,,, of course no Marans eggs while all this was going on.....LOL

NOT a happy camper at that time !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by