Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I will have to look them up, are they neat looking?
Quote: I have two, JG from May order but we cant get them to sit on our laps to hold them, but will snack from us. weird ??? road runner & raven

BUT I gotta do the sevin tonight when they all r roosting, we have TONS of wild birds here and my girls tend to dust bath in the NATURAL roots of trees in the peatmoss, they ignored the dust baths with DE in them, I do the coop with it, but I swear they are picking themselves more lately, I cant see anything though, but I have been reading up and I think I will do the powdering with a nylon stocking now and again in a month and then repeat in 5 more months and keep a schedule.

Wonder if I can do all these 1.5 month olds too? I cant find anything about age and dusting!

Mama - We are looking for more JG hens let me know if you having any luck finding any ?!?!? please

I want to add an aviary to the side of my house!! I LOVEEEEEEEEE Call ducks <3 but they are too loud
OMG Patricks, only YOU would consider building a wing of your house just for the chickens. I can't wait to get mine out in the garage where they belong!

I think I need a plain old banty as my broody, not allowing my sebright to become a broody! Her eggs (when she deigns to lay) are too valuable.

Speaking of banties...we have friends who have had chickens for years. When they found out I wanted chickens, they said to ask them anything. So I did...I asked them what they had...."oh just some banties and some regular size chickens"..........yeah...helpful.

Hey everyone. Are any of you traveling up to the Sussex poultry show? I know it may be a haul for some, close to two hrs for me. I've never been to one and was looking to get a couple ameraucanas or easte eggers. I was just a little worried about buying at a show,(getting what I am paying for) was worried about health of the birds. Have you had good experiences. Not many on the NJ thread are going or have never been. Thanks for any help. Lenore

Lenore, welcome to the PA thread. I'm not travelling to the show, not because of the haul (was in Wayne, NJ last week, and Wayne and Bayville week before) but because we have other plans.

I am a member of the Sussex group's facebook page, and it seems to be good quality stuff. Sussex is the only active poultry group in NJ that I know of, and they actually do judging....so that tells me that most of the members are on the up and up.

Ok, Sally, I stand corrected, you're nuts enough to add a room for the chickens as well! LOL

I toss a little bit of DE under the one tree where the girls seem to go, funnily, they chose the spot where the most wood ashes were. You see, prior to my decision to get the chickens, my Fiancee had a fenced in area directly in front of the personnell doors to the garage. In that he'd put the wood ashes that he pulled out of the wood stove. His plan was to make it a compost pile...but that never materialized. So I had to pull the fencing out when I decided I wanted to use the garage as the coop. Then I dug the wood ashes up and tossed them over under a tree.....became the girls favorite place to dust bathe.

BRRRR....did we skip fall and go to winter ?????

Chad,,,with ideas like yours, I will definitely be hiring you when we move to do some remodeling,,,,throw some more ideas my way..

Need to go shopping for a big roasting pan to hold 20 pds turkeys, where's the best store for that ???

I have black walnut trees and an acorn tree on the property, these nuts go to waste cause I am to lazy to shell them,,,,,if i throw these in with the chickens can they eat them ???

Last edited:
My chickens love acorns! The oak is actually across the road...so all the acorns roll across to our side...and get smooshed/cracked by traffic...then my chickens clean up!

re: rare breeds and Greenfire

I guess they need to recoup their travel and import expenses somehow! They sell Swedish Flower Hens, unsexed, at $20, but I've seen them from others @ $5, since they've been here a few years. Jubilee Orpingtons are around $200 from them, but eggs on ebay are going around $25 -30 EACH. IM guessing until you figure in they get shipped and a 50% hatch rate on shipped eggs the price doubles. All supply and demand, I guess.

Be the first on your block!

(that said, I did get SWH eggs from several sources cause I think they are pretty, figure my six cost nearly $15 each due to lousy hatch rates, so I guess I'm a sucker, lol, but I did get to enjoy the joy of hatching.)

Still just chickens, to me.
It was fun getting them, and enjoyment is what it's all about. Not in this for money or fame, just to enjoy and maybe get some eggs and meat.
I don't ever plan to show, or breed the perfect bird, just to play around and have fun! And my friends enjoy some free eggs.

I was planning to, but we have had a medical issue with my youngest this week which has kept me running back and forth to Pittsburgh. Hubby is taking her this morning, and she may end up needing to go to the OR. So, that said, I am kinda sick of being in the car, lol!

We are going to try for next week.
WOW! Definitely understand! I hope the lil one is ok. Daddy of 3 girls, they take precedence over chicken trips any day.

OMG Patricks, only YOU would consider building a wing of your house just for the chickens. I can't wait to get mine out in the garage where they belong!
I think I need a plain old banty as my broody, not allowing my sebright to become a broody! Her eggs (when she deigns to lay) are too valuable.
Speaking of banties...we have friends who have had chickens for years. When they found out I wanted chickens, they said to ask them anything. So I did...I asked them what they had...."oh just some banties and some regular size chickens"..........yeah...helpful.
Hey! If I'm building anyway and there again if I'm looking at spending a grand on chickens. You bet I would build a sweetazz chicken village for them to live in.

Back
Top Bottom