Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Well, darn. I deleted the message I just typed out.
I had said that my chicks were in the coop around three weeks, and they chose to sleep away from the heat lamp around five weeks (I think). I do remember that it was off before six weeks. I have to tell you that was a big relief. When they choose to not use the lamp, there is no anxiety about whether or not they're okay.
When I get back from the funeral, I plan on cleaning the coop so I can put the ducklings out there. They seem to already be okay with my 65° bedroom. Being that ducks grow so fast, it's not too surprising. Of course, they will also get a heat lamp until they decide they're done with it.

Last edited:
Well, darn. I deleted the message I just typed out.
I had said that my chicks were in the coop around three weeks, and they chose to sleep away from the heat lamp around five weeks (I think). I do remember that it was off before six weeks. I have to tell you that was a big relief. When they choose to not use the lamp, there is no anxiety about whether or not they're okay.
When I get back from the funeral, I plan on cleaning the coop so I can put the ducklings out there. They seem to already be okay with my 65° bedroom. Being that ducks grow so fast, it's not too surprising. Of course, they will also get a heat lamp until they decide they're done with it.
Yeah, I know 7 week olds may not need any heating source any more, but these girls are so spoiled and prefer to stay warm. Even I turned off their heating pad, they still sleep under it at a 65 degree room temperature. DH also insulated their coop walls. With all the open ventilation under the roof, I'm not sure the insulation will help at all. Well, as newbies, we are always worried too much.
idunno.gif

The 8-wk-olds have been coming out into the run as soon as I open the door for free range. They do not move ahead of the adults, but they do free range at the same time. A few minutes ago I shook the scratch can, and some of them actually came running towards me. So far, they have been afraid of me even tossing scratch into the coop. Today was actually shocking to me. Then again, they were probably watching the adults. Regardless, I'm happy!

They will learn quickly! Then they will be underfoot when you are outside trying to get things done!

Don't ask me how I know this! :he :barnie

Yes I a silently stepped on one of my hens before I was giving them there feeder and they always huddle around it eating before I even hang and and stepped on her she was limping for two days and she was better her legs or nothing felt broken and she is up and laying eggs again I am 5.6 foot tall and wear a men's shoe size of 10 and a half so my clodhoppers must have caught her

Last edited:
It has now become apparent that Red uses voice type too.
You can tell it to use punctuation. It does understand, but you still have to fix the spelling errors. Like "two/to/too".

I have a silly question: Will these girls always poop on me? All 6 chicks enjoy having cuddling time with me now. Some of them are long-time cuddlers. So I get pooped on all the time! They seem poop less when they grow up, especially Molly the OE hasn't done it for a long time. Will they eventually be able to hold their poops? Or I'll always get some "warm surprises"?

Back
Top Bottom