Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

*wing- can't seem to find 'Hall Family Farm"..sorry, ...probably me
th.gif
, too many things going on right now.. haha. Thank you for all you help/ info., will get it figured out
I am drooling over hatchery photo's and just came across this one, and I want him.
Blue Orp

Thank you so much everyone....mt.joy is just a hop from me..Cool!! *wingstone*- Going to stay clear of the roos for now(neighbors)..hee hee...but the buffs sound promising, I will be "ready" for birds-juveniles in spring-if that would work for you ..Here is a "Newbie" one for ya, I do not know what a 'lemon' cuckoo-orp is...
idunno.gif
, *chiqueschick*-really have my heart set on the buffs...but from the looks at what happens to people with chickens though, who knows what my heart will "stay" set on. Hoping at some point to "run-into" you all........Welcome Goober!
frow.gif
LittleMissPurdy,
I have a BO, and she is quite lovely....lots of personality, good layer...most of the time. The one thing I was not aware of (or didn't pay enough attention to before I ordered) is that BOs are rather prone to being broody, that is, she sits in the coop for up to 40 days at a time thinking she is going to hatch a brood of chicks. The problem is, I have no roo...so no fertile eggs, AND she has done this three times since March, and now she and the other three girls are all molting. I haven't had any eggs in 2 weeks! The moral of the this story is this; if you have until spring to make your decision, make sure you research all the traits that you are looking for BEFORE you buy.

mm

Hi everyone! Coop is out of the garage because we need to put our cars in it to hide them from this storm! Thanks for all the nice comments about it! I almost have it done. Chicken wire has to still go up. But with this impending storm and the fact that this is our 1st major storm here, we don't know what to expect, so we've been chopping wood and cutting down trees. :-/ We have one tree that we are REALLY nervous that is gonna land on the house, so we had to attach it to another tree to divert it away from our house if it does indeed fall. The wind is starting to pick up and it makes me so scared. Here is the tree..

On a lighter note, I fell off my one roof onto the other. Actually you can see it on the top picture. I fell from the highest peak, all the way down to where you see the top porch roof. I fell on the wet leaves in the pitch, flew back, hit my shoulder blade, knocked the wind out of myself, and slid to the flat part of the roof. (By this time I was soiling myself) I was stuck on the roof in pain. My shoulder blade hurts, my left arm hurts and my lower back and neck are killing me. I scratched my left arm up really bad..

So the coop is now gonna have to wait until the hurricane passes, for me to finish it...but now, I can show you the full 360 of what I got so far!!

Okay, I have to go now. LOL! The clouds are getting darker and I just got a phone call from PPL saying that we are probably gonna lose power for up to a week. ugh. With 5 kids, this ought to be a blast.
he.gif

Last edited:
* wing- Wow, yes..very nice...they only have "day-old" chicks though...Hmmm
hmm.png
, * MM-...40 Days..omg, okay...well, I do consider myself patient, but..what do you do? give her a chick? will they lay if they have chicks..I know, Now i really sound like-DUHHH...thank you for sharing your experience. Nothing I've read mention anything about "hyper-broodiness" or whatever...just that, of course, depending on the individual bird, they (orps), do make good mothers, ...this is what that means?.., but then the same was said for the BR's too........when choosing the breeds I had, I did go through their traits, but I am still obviously learning....I have time, as much as needed..
big_smile.png
.......HELLO chickencowranch..
frow.gif

Hi to all you waiting to see what this storm will do... hope everyone and every chicken comes through in good shape. the forecast did make me finish up all the "getting ready for winter chores". I even have runs limed because for sure we'll have some rain. Luck to you all!

* wing- Wow, yes..very nice...they only have "day-old" chicks though...Hmmm
hmm.png
, * MM-...40 Days..omg, okay...well, I do consider myself patient, but..what do you do? give her a chick? will they lay if they have chicks..I know, Now i really sound like-DUHHH...thank you for sharing your experience. Nothing I've read mention anything about "hyper-broodiness" or whatever...just that, of course, depending on the individual bird, they (orps), do make good mothers, ...this is what that means?.., but then the same was said for the BR's too........when choosing the breeds I had, I did go through their traits, but I am still obviously learning....I have time, as much as needed..
big_smile.png
.......HELLO chickencowranch..
frow.gif
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html
LittleMissPurdy,
This is a link to what is fondly referred to as "Henderson's Handy Dandy Chicken Chart." I found it very useful....other than not picking up on the "prone to broodiness" thing.... But it does have a lot of useful info, and under each breed name, there are additional links to other resources about that individual breed. Hope it helps you.

mm

Back
Top Bottom