Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Happy Halloween everyone!

My chickens get pi tomorrow!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

The rain has finally stopped (drizzling doesn't count) so I went out to walk around, and see if any damage was done to the "not directly chicken related" places. I have three windows, and a door to fix. Unfortunately, the door is the pop door. It was closed for the duration of the storm, and I only realized something was wrong when I tried to lock it tonight. The best way to explain it is to say that there are two locks. Top and bottom. The wind caught the door in the middle, and pulled. Repeatedly apparently. It is now bowed out. There shouldn't be a ton of wind blowing in, but any predator that makes it into the run can get in ... If they happen to jump that high.
Looks like a patch job will have to do until Saturday. I am not getting cold and wet if I can help it!
To those whom have had a LOT of damage, I know mine doesn't compare.

Hi everyone. We are evacuating our house. Apparently there are 17 impassable roads so schools remain closed and we are on day 3 with no food, water or clean dishes.

My hometown of ocean county (seaside, toms river to be exact) have been devestated. My husband and I are very upset as all our childhood places have been washed away. The boys are upset as they were just in seaside on Saturday right before the hurricane hit. We spend almost all summer down the shore as all my friends and family still remain there. Basically all my friends are homeless and it's so upsetting. It's hard to listen to my mom cry when everything around her is gone.

We are retreating to Harrisburg because with 7 people in our family it's literally the ONLY place that can house us comfortably. (I should have been in Harrisburg yesterday picking up my chickens from Silver. :-/

We have already called our insurance company to file a claim for my coop, the loss of all our food and now to add to the mix, my brand new hardwood floor is ruined due to the ice melting in my fridge. I had a huge puddle on the seam between the tile and hardwood and now the hardwood is spongy and lifted. We are going through so much it's depressing. State Farm was unable to tell us when to expect an assessor to come to the house. We've only been our house exactly a month. :-(
hugs.gif
We learned real fast to have a new generator and about 10 containers of gas with Staybil in them to keep them from going bad, plus always have plenty of water for the animals and ourselves. AND pool water for the toilet.

We found good 55 gal plastic drums and they are awesome for storage of critter water, we also have a tiny microwave that the generator can run, they suck alot of juice so the smaller the better for an emergency, we also use the camping grill, and ALWAYS ALWAYS have a backup heat source, coal and wood. Since there is still no way in or out of the mnts here we are good for a while running the generator every 4 hrs to keep fridge good, may soon go to every 6 hr on for 2 then off :( I sooooo want a shower and kids are driving me INSANE!!!

I hope you can get out if you cant sustain yourselves and kids.... its tough, but you have to be ready for them :( glad its not winter as so many people would freeze, and that is horrible. I lived in the mnt my whole life and you learn a bit from it.

The SLW and GLW made it through. Lost the blue cochins and SLWs that were only here a week from Heather.

Dog cops came today and found the owners. I have never heard of a Leonberger dog

leonberger_starzyska.jpg

I can only legally get market value one the birds based on the New Holland Livestock Auction prices. I haven't talked to the owners yet, the Dog Wardens said they want to work with me out of court which is great. It's just BS. Tried to save Copper. His wounds were too bad and sepsis set in.

Back
Top Bottom