Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chirping

Chad,

I did notice you've been expanding.... for someone who didn't know if he wanted the "first" rooster,,, you really didn't take long to decide roosters weren't so bad afterall.....LOL

well,,,, hope things work out in you favor. Hope the owners are responsible, caring people and treat you well.

I've always owned Great Danes in the past,,, and being a giant dog owner,, you realize the damage they can do, and the resposibility you have as the owner to keep them out of trouble, for their sake and others.

off to bed here,,, hope everyone gets "powered up",,, I know I'm looking forward to getting my electric back,,, have to schedule the next round of Marans eggs to hatch !!!!

2. patrickschick

patrickschick Songster

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Well....yeah I was on the fence.......He and I warmed up to each other fast and in the end threw himself in there for me. Yeah those dang roos grow on you quick. [​IMG]

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    Stunned. A Leonberger did this? Was it a younger dog? A rare breed, they take several years to mature intellectually. But they are gentle giants. Just stunned.
    What on earth did the owners do ( or lack to educate) to this gentle breed to make it a poultry killer? I can totally see this breed as a flock protector, not a flock killer.
    Oh wow,
    Karen

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

4. Thank you everyone!!:). I am sorry I can't respond to you each separately. It's so hard to do this message board stuff on my iPhone and iPad. LOL!! I'm trying my best!

I appreciate all the outreach and love!! Xoxoxo!!! You are all so sweet!!! We are shacked up at the residence inn near Lancaster brewery-so if you know where that is-then that's where I am! :). We FINALLY get to see what's going on-on the television and seeing my roads in toms river on CNN is amazing!!

We don't know how long we will be here. I guess until we hear if we have power. It really stinks not knowing how long we will be displaced.

Missy, the kids would love that! How far are we away from you??

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

6. patrickschick

patrickschick Songster

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    That is what the owner told the warden. It looked like a large wolf. And that is how everyone that saw her said as well, wolf-like. She told the warden that the wind blew the garage door open and she escaped. Than wth brought her to my house and through all my pens killing as she went.

7. patrickschick

patrickschick Songster

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    [​IMG]

8. patrickschick

patrickschick Songster

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Just build a few more on the side of the hill at the back of the yard lol.

9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    I am heartbroken a Leonberger did this. What on earth was the dog doing in the garage! It should have been with the family. Tho we bred rough and smooth collies for 15 yrs., I hung out with the Leonberger fanciers for about a year online. They are a very Old World group. Very proper and vigilantly guard their breed. Believe me when I say they know where every Leonberger puppy goes when it is sold. They will blame the owners not the dog. How very sad.
    Here's a good write-up on the breed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonberger
    First and foremost a family dog, the Leonberger's temperament is one of his most important and distinguishing characteristics. Well socialized and trained, the Leonberger is self-assured, insensitive to noise, submissive to family members, friendly toward children, well composed with passersby, and self-disciplined when obliging his family or property with protection. Robust, loyal, intelligent, playful, and kindly, he can thus be taken anywhere without difficulty and adjust easily to a variety of circumstances, including the introduction of other dogs.[1]
    A Leonberger is a family dog, the desire to be with his pack is far more important than a large yard, he can adapt to modest living quarters if he is given time with his people, a daily walk and regular training time. Leonbergers are good with children, family pets and other dogs. Socialization and thorough obedience training are extremely important with any giant breed, including Leonbergers.

Karen

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  10. wingstone

wingstone Songster

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    need some advice from all you marans breeders,,,thinking of ordering some eggs from Muddy Hoof Farms in particular the golden cuckoo marans, would you mind taking a look at the birds on their websitehttp://muddyhooffarm.vpweb.com/Hatching-Eggs.html
    I am not real familiar with the breed to know what to look for. but they sure are beauty's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by