Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I also need to rename our bonanza to "Brahma Acres" or Brahma Woods or ????????????????????????????

Chad your BCM X Comets are in lockdown... I couldnt candle but cross your fingers... your welcome to them all if they hatch! There are 8 of them, I didnt even check them at all for fert or life since day 7 so WE SHALL SEE
fl.gif
pray none explode
sickbyc.gif
LOL Sounds like your gonna have "Chicken Woods"

Pentamom,

I've had heritage turkeys on and off over the past ten years or so. We also raise a batch of broad breasted ones for the freezer each year. The heritage ones can make nice pets, and grow more slowly then the BB's. I've never been real successful at getting the heritage birds to hatch and raise their own babies, though I know other folks who have done better with them.

What do you want to know about them?

Diane W.
Thanks Diane! I really just wanted to know if they can coop up with the chickens. Do they eat the same things...I also just heard that if you want to eat them (for hubby not me) you can't let them roam...

Thanks Diane! I really just wanted to know if they can coop up with the chickens. Do they eat the same things...I also just heard that if you want to eat them (for hubby not me) you can't let them roam...

Whether or not the turkeys will be able to be cooped with your chickens depends on the size of the coop. Turkeys are BIG, even compared to big chickens. I've kept my 'table' birds on pasture, with no ill effect from them being allowed to walk around. They enjoy eating bugs and green plants, so it's a good thing to allow them access to pasture. Heritage birds can fly, and enjoy doing it, so it's difficult to keep them from exploring beyond the area you want them in. They enjoy roosting in high places, like tree branches and the top of your coop. I've had less success long term in keeping heritage birds on pasture, because they tend to be lured away by the local wild turkeys. If there are no tempting wild turkeys nearby, you shouldn't have that problem, but might find they'd rather sleep in a tree than in the security of a coop.

Generally, turkeys and chickens eat the same things. Turkey feed is higher in protein, which is less of an issue if you're not trying to build muscle quickly. As long as the turkeys have the higher protein food when they're young and building bone, you should be able to switch them to lower protein layer feed as adults.

There is a disease called blackhead that turkeys can catch from chickens, though it is transferred by a soil borne worm that spends part of its life in the chickens intestines. This is a big problem in some areas of the country, but is less so here in PA.

Diane W

Whether or not the turkeys will be able to be cooped with your chickens depends on the size of the coop. Turkeys are BIG, even compared to big chickens. I've kept my 'table' birds on pasture, with no ill effect from them being allowed to walk around. They enjoy eating bugs and green plants, so it's a good thing to allow them access to pasture. Heritage birds can fly, and enjoy doing it, so it's difficult to keep them from exploring beyond the area you want them in. They enjoy roosting in high places, like tree branches and the top of your coop. I've had less success long term in keeping heritage birds on pasture, because they tend to be lured away by the local wild turkeys. If there are no tempting wild turkeys nearby, you shouldn't have that problem, but might find they'd rather sleep in a tree than in the security of a coop.

Generally, turkeys and chickens eat the same things. Turkey feed is higher in protein, which is less of an issue if you're not trying to build muscle quickly. As long as the turkeys have the higher protein food when they're young and building bone, you should be able to switch them to lower protein layer feed as adults.

There is a disease called blackhead that turkeys can catch from chickens, though it is transferred by a soil borne worm that spends part of its life in the chickens intestines. This is a big problem in some areas of the country, but is less so here in PA.

Diane W
Okay, so I have a neighbor (1 neighbor) whose property is about the same size, if I let the turkey free range and do it's thing, will it go to his property? We have tall trees in between and brush, but now that it's winter it's thinning out. I know I"m not betting turkeys for a while since they are out of season, but I want to make sure the turkeys stay directly on my property. what's the best option for that?

Okay, so I have a neighbor (1 neighbor) whose property is about the same size, if I let the turkey free range and do it's thing, will it go to his property? We have tall trees in between and brush, but now that it's winter it's thinning out. I know I"m not betting turkeys for a while since they are out of season, but I want to make sure the turkeys stay directly on my property. what's the best option for that?
underground dog fencing? LOL

Mama does tink lay eggs? She is starting to feel at home with Romeo and Juliet, her and Juliet hang and are always a few steps behind Romeo....will get a pic when I can sit with them.... poor chickens and puppies!! neglected : ( Oh and I need help trying to sex HALO!! I will get updated pics of him too!

She sure does. Remember, she just hatched a clutch, so it may take her a bit to start laying again. I just took them from her the day she came to you.

Back
Top Bottom