Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    so, as it turns out I DO have a Bantam buff brahma too! I am SO excited!!! Will have eggs/babies in the spring!

My oldest turns 9 in Feb and then he can join 4H. We are in the process of trying to decide which breed he is going to work with. He (like his mama) loves them all! He was sold on the brahma, but we lost his favorite roo over the summer and now he doesn't seem to want to mess with them much :(

2. msladyhawke

msladyhawke Poultry Connoisseur

No, but distantly related. [​IMG]
    RoPo is kind enough to gather up some of her eggs so I can do the NYD hatch tho!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I hope they keep laying!

No eggs today (I'm happy about that honestly! I want them to finish their molts) other than the bantam white birds. And of course, another Langshan bantam broody.

4. Pentamom

Pentamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my they are so cute!!

5. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I am glad the good hatching vibes are going around. Tomorrow I have 7 Mottled Bantam Cochins to hatch. They are all wiggling and I could hear some peeping. They were shipped to me before the hurricane. I had to put them in as soon as possible. I wanted them to have a good start. The power was out for 22 hours. They all made it! Thank goodness. There was 14 in the beginning. One was smashed upon arrival. 5 were clear at day 4. One died around day 7. So that leaves me with 7. I am hoping to get a mix of black, blue, and splash mottled!

6. MButerbaugh

MButerbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    I just wanted to jump in on this one... I work in healthcare and I was told by our infections control doctor (who has some specialized training in birds too... lol) that you can not keep chickens and turkeys together. Basically, in laymans terms the turkeys will pick at the ground where there is chicken poop, which has a worm as mentioned above, it is very contagious to the turkeys and causes horrific diarrhea, eventually death. He recommends if you want to do both that they be kept separately and ultimately the turkeys would not be able to free range... He overheard me talking to one of my co-workers one day about "my girls" and now every time he sees me he asks about my chickens and talks poultry with me! [​IMG]

Michele

7. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Wishing you a great hatch!!

8. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

That's funny, I was thinking maybe they could be from a woman I met last year off of Mortonville rd (kind of in between us). She raises miniature silkied goats and also had some SQ Silkies....hmmmm. That's my guess anyway. She usually sells them for $5/each, so 6 for 20 is good -just not this time of year.

I am up to 7 peeps in my hatch, got one in the bator that my Broody left behind still peeping in the shell. She's not looking too good. Maybe when I get home tonight she'll be all better.

9. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Come to my house LOL. The remaining birds all got scared eggless and are now laying more than they did before when I had twice as many layers.

10. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    MsLadyHawke, those peeps are SOOOO sweet! I just loves them blues! I keep looking at my black chicks thinking....maybe blue? Just wishful thinking on my part.

On the chicken-turkey thing... I spoke to Dr. Ben Martin (Lancaster Poultry, AND coming to our classes for CPT that Chad was cool enough to arrange). I wanted to add turkeys and had heard that running turkeys and chickens together could minimize Mareks disease in the chickens. Dr. Martin said, yes, there was some truth to the turkeys helping minimize Mareks, but did not recommend running them together as diseases could be spread more easily. He said a good practice is to keep your species separate (water fowl as well). Then he added, 'do people run their ducks, turkeys and chicken all together without huge issues?, Yes. But it's better for them, if you can, to keep them separate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by