Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Pentamom

Pentamom Chillin' With My Peeps

LMAO!! Glad to help you a bit! LOL!!!

Okay, so my 5 year old ran into the incubator and knocked 3 out of the automatic turner. So I decided before I got upset to see if anything was even going on in these eggs. as of right now, the eggs will be 2 1/2 days, 3 days old. (I know it's early) But on the majority minus 1 egg, I see an air pocket on one side of the eggs. The yolks don't move around a lot. I placed the egg on a flashlight. Now on one of the white eggs, the yolk is tiny and moves around a lot. (I'll point that pic out to you.) But they all came out the same time straight from the chicken...(Sorry for the pic heavy thread. Let me know what you think...) Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These next 2 are the white egg with the tiny yolk I was worried about.
    [​IMG]
    In This pic of the same egg, you can see the air sack to the right.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This bottom one has the air sack to the right, but no prominent yolk.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This next pic is my blue lone egg..Pretty cool huh?!
    [​IMG]

2. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    Love this pic, so serious looking..
    and the roo's are dinner after the 3rd strike, 1st strike we have a little chat, 2nd strike we have hold down, tie up, isolate plain down humiliate session, 3rd time if they didn't learn from the other 2 times they are soup.......I refuse to tolerate a rooster that I have to club everytime I go near them.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Pentamom,

When in doubt, leave them in until a week passes. By then, you'll see definite veining. I see some that could be promising but I would definitely wait before tossing any at this point.

Imma bout to smack me a German Shepherd...driving me insane tonight. I'm over here cleaning, enjoying my daggumed Christmas music and Kaiser is running around, acting a fool, whining and whimpering, running up and down the stairs acting like he hasn't eaten twice today...

UGH. MEN.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Upset!!! I killed a chick!!!! One of Chads BCM x Comets!! I did a quick candle cause I had to move them to my old styro bator because the cooler bator humidity was way way to high from all these guys hatching and the rain!!!! I need to figure something out for next time to add and remove water,I told the hubby but he never listens! not that I can blame this on him....

OMG I candled and it looked half empty!!! and I thought it was dead, it didnt move and just didnt look black inside like all his other eggs!
    I took pics but OMG graphic! dont know if I should post or not??????????????????? Its something I definately have LEARNED FROM!!!!

I candled and took pics, and then eggtopsy both eggs one was a bad egg with death around day 14??

BUT THIS one I killed was a PURE WHITE CHICK! PURE WHITE WITH A BLACK DOT ON her head!!! she started gasping for breath and I could have died right there with her!!!
    She was very small and not near close to hatch! BUT SHE WAS ALIVE!!! why was she WHITE???????????????????????

I wont post here if I will offend you guys but I have the candle pics and the eggtopsy pics.... @##@%@$^^ bleep bleep!! soooooooo upset and smacking myself!!!

I miscounted too, there were 9 eggs now there are 7 in lockdown!!!

Candling pics & eggtopsy pics here..... in the Article summary of the incubating thread....scroll to the very bottom : ( [​IMG] https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Here is other info I would like to share..... SAVE A CHICK!! ROCKS!!

[​IMG]

I HIGHLY SUGGEST adding SAVE-a-chic when chicks are drying off, it gives them a MAJOR BOOST! see below the little lid with marbles in it???? they love it!!!
    And perked up so much faster!!

[​IMG]

LOL look playing dead.... just kidding!! resting like my springers do!
    [​IMG]

Below is a chick that has a "hernia?"wet bottom?" I have been watching her.....
    its getting better each hour and going away! no blood just large at the umbilicle area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Harmony and her tiny guy Snowy the leghorn bantam surprise!
    [​IMG]

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

6. Pentamom

Pentamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sally, I don't know how to copy the post. LOL! I tried so I could put them there also. Can you help me? And Thank You! LOL!! I watched on Youtube how to candle the eggs properly. LMAO!! It's amazing what you can find on that website! LOL!!

I'm sorry you accidentally killed a baby. We are both having ugh days with the incubators it seems. I'm going to go look at your pics..[​IMG]

7. Chicky Dee

Chicky Dee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Sally sorry to hear about the chick. That is a huge fear of mine. I do have a question for you...why would an egg quit developing after day 14. I have had several eggs that I candled and it showed awesome veining and then when I candled again after day 14 there was no movement and then at lockdown it was not developed. My incubator temp stays steady. I check on it 2-3 times a day its always at 100 degrees. I thought maybe I was handling the eggs to rough so this batch in the incubator I have not touched. I am hoping to not touch them until lockdown. Do you think that it's the shipped eggs? I just can't believe that I am having these bad hatches because of the post office. I feel like I should be adjusting something, but I don't know what. The eggs in the bator now are my last try at LF Buff Brahmas. Any one have any suggestions for the incubator please let me know.

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I think its disease, handling/turning and ventilation... so many things can effect them as you know.... In the hatching 101 link in my signature I have pasted and links to "what went wrong and when" here is part of it..... links below for more info https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Symptoms Probable Causes Corrective Measures

Many dead embryos at early stages Improper incubation temperatures (usually too high) Follow recommended incubation temperatures.
    Improper egg turning Turn at least 3 times daily.
    Inherited low hatchability Avoid cross breeding. May need to secure different breeding stock.
    Improper ventilation Increase ventilation rate in incubator and/or room, but avoid drafts. Add oxygen at high altitudes.
    Pullorum disease or other salmonelloses Use eggs from disease-free sources. Have NPIP representatives blood-test the breeder flock.
    Improper nutrition of breeders Provide a well-balanced nutritional diet to breeders.

Eggtopsy: What happened to my egg?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/363717/eggtopsy-what-happened-to-my-egg-graphic-pictures

check out
    Trouble Shooting Failures with Egg Incubation @ http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/trouble.html

This is also a great pdf with pics: paste link in browser search:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=early%20emrbyo%20death%20%20incubation&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CDsQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2F

www.thepoultrysite.com%2Fdownloads%2Fdownload%2F171%2F&ei=UllaUMXFHsmrygGnjoHICw&usg=AFQjCNGgYxCBYwBex31MS5w2McdnpH1zbw

ALSO this PDF at the last pages have a chart that shows what could have happened.... http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/b6092.pdf
    [​IMG]

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  10. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa
    Mama I have some hens who have very large combs n waddles and I'm about 100% sure they are hens!!! Well I guess they are actually pullets since I still don't have any eggs!! Yes that is right they were hatched the beginning of march nd not one stinking egg!!! Ahhhh all I want is one to lay an egg, just one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by