Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    2 months old in that pic. Looking to get a meatier bird as well as get a marans that lays more like a comet with a dark egg.

2. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    Missy I sometimes donate eggs to the local assisted living village, these are retired folks and many do not drive so I take them to their little community area, they go fast, of course I get everybody's story of how they remember going out to the back yard to gather breakfast.

Ray that was me looking for bree, I do not have brahma. I have orp's....just got 2 delaware ?? roosters for the new pen and wondering which girls to put in with them.
    [​IMG]anyone got a few brahma, close to laying, these boys are about 6 months and ready for duty.
    obviously not leghorn roo's as they were advertised, they are big and heavy.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  3. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

Definitely not Leghorn,,, they look nice and heavy,actually resemble the Brahmas, maybe do a little homework,,, thinking the brahma would be great, or sussex,,, have seen both at green dragon recently......they go over well with the meat bird buyers.

Do you ever go to green dragon,,,, alot of the regulars say prices may be low tonight,,, the 2 main dealers supposedly will not be there. Planning to attend myself,,, just to see how it is on Black Friday,,,,,,, a curiosity thing,,,, and my favorite Friday night thing to do.

these guys might add meat to any cross,,, I'd look for something that matures on the "quicker" side so you don't have to wait to long to make use of them, maybe cross with BCM just to see if they do make the "BETTER" eating bird that some claim.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  4. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting crosses,,, definitely picked up the copper attribute. Will be cool to see what they mature into.

Any pullets out of a blue or green layer ???

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Not yet, if I sent Harmonys girls your way she would cull me!! [​IMG]
    I will let ya all know what has to go in the brooder in a few weeks!

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Ray do you have pics of your call ducks? Do you keep in pens or aviary?
    We never received the scovy eggs I bought 2 months ago online from some farm in TX!!!! I will be asking for my money back!

7. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    Sally have you tried the egg swaps there's always duck eggs on it, you can always offer paypal if you do not want to ship eggs.
    Trying to convince hubby to go to green dragon tonight, want to get the boys set up with hen's before winter really sets in, water is gonna be a problem in this pen so need as much body heat as they can generate to help keep water thawed.
    [​IMG]

8. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Just making light eggers dark. Maybe once the next batch come up we can see what happens. Have some Ameracaunas that we can try that with.

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    LOL emoticons

I wish I could go to the dragon, I still need a med plastic crate! To be honest I am pretty sick and not fit for much. Had more tests this morning, cant get my blood pressure down, headaches are horrible and have again change meds for lungs and my cadiologist and heart testing is tues begininng 7 am....... I am a mess, trying to get better, just isnt working for me right now.

Was gonna throw the turkey in the oven and dont even have the strength to lift the bird out of fridge, hubs and kiddos can have fun doing it later on I guess or tomorrow.

I was gonna see if I can get a few local eggs and 2/3 duck eggs to sign up for that new years hatch thing you posted.... but I gotta set it up somehow to get eggs on time lol. I have 7 more days before I can swap, as u need be member for over 3 months to do it.

I dont want to hatch my SLW Roo over all my different breed of gals lol, what mutts they would be! Although the eggers would be interesting. But still pullet eggs : (

My friend wanted me to hatch Marans for her, and gave me money for eggs, now she says she only wants a trio out of the hatch. But those eggs come this monday already. I wish I was rich and could just throw money around sniffle sniff : ( More power to her, happy that at least she can throw money, even if I cant! My gain too I guess. although marans werent on my or Harmony's list.

Harmony and I are hoping for a couple langshang along with the serama and then end the chaos of all these different breeds of chickens! Waiting to hear from Ropo on that. She likes the non typical chickens I guess.

I want to focus on all the pretty brahma of mine, Harmony of course will have her own ideas, but I will do what I can to help her as this has become her hobby as well.

10. sarasweatman

sarasweatman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Sally, I have fertile Ancona duck eggs if you want some. I would be happy to give them to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by