Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I have some sad news. I have determined that I have to cull my entire flock. I’m pretty sure my flock has Coryza.

I know when it was brought in. I took in a bird a little over a year ago, and it and was raining, so I couldn’t see that she was ill. I tried to quarantine, but only in my garage, with my other girls free ranging. A few of my girls have gotten sinus/upper respiratory ailments, and I believe now that it was most likely Coryza, presenting differently.

My current case is a Silkie pullet that is thin, sneezing, has runny nose, and a very foul smell coming from her face. My older Silkie who passed away several months back had the same smell, and all of the same symptoms.

A couple of my young turkeys are sneezing and have nasal discharge as well now too.

I am going to wait until late fall, when egg production slows down. I will then disinfect everything and let my property rest for the winter. Making this decision today has been very hard, but I know culling day will be even worse. I don’t want to see any more of my animals suffer, and I think this is the responsible thing to do. :(

I have some sad news. I have determined that I have to cull my entire flock. I’m pretty sure my flock has Coryza.

I know when it was brought in. I took in a bird a little over a year ago, and it and was raining, so I couldn’t see that she was ill. I tried to quarantine, but only in my garage, with my other girls free ranging. A few of my girls have gotten sinus/upper respiratory ailments, and I believe now that it was most likely Coryza, presenting differently.

My current case is a Silkie pullet that is thin, sneezing, has runny nose, and a very foul smell coming from her face. My older Silkie who passed away several months back had the same smell, and all of the same symptoms.

A couple of my young turkeys are sneezing and have nasal discharge as well now too.

I am going to wait until late fall, when egg production slows down. I will then disinfect everything and let my property rest for the winter. Making this decision today has been very hard, but I know culling day will be even worse. I don’t want to see any more of my animals suffer, and I think this is the responsible thing to do. :(
1E9CC4EE-050A-4043-8370-053993A14FA7.jpeg 99C0844B-805A-49F8-9999-0AF05C9F5F07.jpeg

Aww, Anne, I'm so sorry :( I know how hard of a decision this is and how hard it is going to be :hugs:hugs. In the spring, if you'd like to start over, I can send you a nice care package of eggs. That may be hard to think about now, but when you're ready, just let me know :hugs

Thanks dear. It is a very hard decision. But I think it is for the best. It’s not fair to keep birds that keep getting sick. This morning, my silkie who I was taking care of for the past day or so, was dead. I’m not surprised, but it reinforced my decision. I raised her from a chick, and she suffered. I won’t make that mistake again.

is there any test that you can do to make 100% sure? i hope you're wrong about the coryza but if not, my heart cries for you

is there any test that you can do to make 100% sure? i hope you're wrong about the coryza but if not, my heart cries for you

Yes, I am going to euthanize one of the birds that is sick and send it in. I am going to make some phone calls tomorrow to find exactly where to send it, so that I make sure she is tested for the right illnesses. I’m 99% sure that it is Coryza, simply from the consistency of the birds becoming ill, and the foul odor coming from a couple of the girls.

Yes, I am going to euthanize one of the birds that is sick and send it in. I am going to make some phone calls tomorrow to find exactly where to send it, so that I make sure she is tested for the right illnesses. I’m 99% sure that it is Coryza, simply from the consistency of the birds becoming ill, and the foul odor coming from a couple of the girls.
so sorry. i know how heart breaking it can be to lose the chickens you've put you heart into:hit

Back
Top Bottom