Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Yes, I am going to euthanize one of the birds that is sick and send it in. I am going to make some phone calls tomorrow to find exactly where to send it, so that I make sure she is tested for the right illnesses. I’m 99% sure that it is Coryza, simply from the consistency of the birds becoming ill, and the foul odor coming from a couple of the girls.
I am crossing my fingers for you. Maybe dosing everyone with antibiotics (which I think Coryza is susceptible to?) will save the ones that still look healthy and maybe they can come out of this with some resistance.

I am crossing my fingers for you. Maybe dosing everyone with antibiotics (which I think Coryza is susceptible to?) will save the ones that still look healthy and maybe they can come out of this with some resistance.

Antibiotics can help some recover, but the problem is that they will always be carriers. So any chicks I hatch or bring into the flock may be affected. The mortality rate is up to 20%.

Well I euthanized two birds this morning and sent them off for necropsy and blood cultures. Yeesh, $86 for overnighting 14lbs. of poultry and ice. Pretty sure the Silkie Roo has Coryza, and the BCM has either Coryza and/or MG. The Silkie has that funky smell about him, which I have read is a telling sign of IC.

In brighter news, one bag of PDZ powder popped open, and then girls quickly turned it into their favorite dust bathing area.

C2CB938E-48AF-4A32-B245-722E126EEEFB.jpeg

Here is a snippet on Coryza, from the Chicken Health Handbook, for those interested.

7FFD483D-AF27-48E6-8E4E-E9508F7D87DF.jpeg

And this is just a funny picture of my new dog not respecting the other dogs personal space. :p

031A4041-AD0B-4796-9055-B195EAF1278D.jpeg

Well I euthanized two birds this morning and sent them off for necropsy and blood cultures. Yeesh, $86 for overnighting 14lbs. of poultry and ice. Pretty sure the Silkie Roo has Coryza, and the BCM has either Coryza and/or MG. The Silkie has that funky smell about him, which I have read is a telling sign of IC.

In brighter news, one bag of PDZ powder popped open, and then girls quickly turned it into their favorite dust bathing area.

View attachment 1506910

Here is a snippet on Coryza, from the Chicken Health Handbook, for those interested.

View attachment 1506911

And this is just a funny picture of my new dog not respecting the other dogs personal space. :p

View attachment 1506912
Thank you for the update--I appreciate any chance to learn. I am so grateful I have a easy drive from New Bolton Center. Love your happy pictures! I need to get some PDZ!

Got my preliminary report back from the euthanized chickens. I knew the roo seemed generally healthy, other than the respiratory symptoms. I was surprised to see that the hen was still laying, I wasn’t sure. She had sure a horrible sound to her, wheezing and coughing a whole lot, for weeks since I’ve gotten her. She had no improvement with the Vetrx, which I have found to be helpful in the past. I’m pretty sure this was the hen that has started new cases of whatever respiratory ailment from which they are
suffering. Thought you guys might like a peek.

@fisherlady Any idea what foci are? Internet seems to indicate that they are abnormal cells, possibly tumor.

D5C0F048-D786-47B7-A431-6E69FD64EA16.png
64F2BD0E-CD11-4452-97B6-D6537877B96B.png

Back
Top Bottom