Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. LittleMissPurdy

LittleMissPurdy Chillin' With My Peeps

do you have the "auto" turner?..they look real nice.[​IMG]
  2. LittleMissPurdy

[​IMG]..sorry, i just needed to read more..duh. answered own question..[​IMG]
  3. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    just got a little giant incubator yesterday. button quails are hatching right now and so it begins now i need to get a turner so i dont have to turn the eggs. cost as much as the incubator itself
  4. LittleMissPurdy

yeah..i noticed that with a large majority of these things..
  5. LittleMissPurdy

The one Mslady was talking about looks real nice and it's on sale...[​IMG], but I don't think it comes with the humidifier?, the thing that holds the water..
  6. LittleMissPurdy

[​IMG]okay, I gotta stop this & go to bed..nite-all
  7. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    yep i guess the turnig of the eggs does have as much to do with a succsessful hatch as the heat and humidity. but you would have a much better chance of getting something to hatch with the bator then just a turner
  8. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA

Oooooooo I like talking breeding! I love blues too!!! Size is only an issue if they are under the weight for the SOP. I don't keep birds just because they are giants, but I will cull ones that don't grow fast enough, as long as I like what I am seeing with other roosters. I want to be able to sell my roos for meat, so I don't want them lingering to long. I could type forever about this...........
  9. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    I'm all ears!! You've already helped me with my hesitancy over my blue boy. I like his eye color, comb, and wing set, but he's only 6.5 lbs at 5 mos, where his hatch mate is 10 lbs. I think after he's promoted to 'alpha Roo' and isn't competing for food, that we'll see an increase in weight.

How long is 'too long' to keep a Roo for meat? Seems like the advice I keep getting from the Orpington threads is: keep em, keep em! But I can't house them all without them fighting or keep feeding them all until they've matured all the way, and WHEN is that, anyway?

10. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    Wasn't feeling to good and went to bed at 7 last night, sure did miss alot.....
    misspurdy, I have a couple of the cheap little giants some with turners some without, ,,,these incubators need to be watched carefully, a slight temp change in the room will cause big changes inside the bator, as far as the turner, depends on what i have in, eggs I really want a good hatch on i try not to handle any more than i have to so they go in the turner.......good luck choosing, there's so many out there, really depends on individual circumstances.

Heather and Blarney, I am coming to this meeting about genetics, I read and read and still do not get it, I think I need visual in front of me to understand.

Ray when I finally make it to green dragon, you just point this reinhold guy out, He will not be getting cheap birds even if i have to take a truckload of roo's home with me..(can not stand to see them treated that way even if they are only for meat ) .. and I may get kicked out,,,,my brain to mouth filter sometimes does not work.

Don't remember who it was but I find the key to keeping lot's of roo's together is total seperation from any hen's....I have had up to 15 roo's in a pen without fighting, but they had no visual of any hen's.l

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by