Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Sigh.... I want to encourage you guys NOT to kill the possums. As long as your chickens are securely locked up at night, you should not have any issues with possums. They are only around because they are looking for food. I leave scraps outside for them (and the skunks and the raccoons). We have had no issues at all, ever. And we see those critters every night. They eat a ton of ticks, and they are basically immune to rabies!
You are right that they are known for eating ticks and other pests. Possums have very short live spans and are not very bright (in contrast to coons). Because possums reproduce so quickly and have short life spans in the wild, I don't feel great remorse about removing any that are threatening my birds, they are not at all endangered and thrive in suburbia.
Raccoons are a much more sinister threat to poultry in general. I generally only start trapping them when they start causing problems, but they view killing birds as a sport and will kill 10 birds in a night, eat the head off several and take one with them. That makes it personal for me and I relish dispatching coons that are trapped around farm buildings.

Sigh.... I want to encourage you guys NOT to kill the possums. As long as your chickens are securely locked up at night, you should not have any issues with possums. They are only around because they are looking for food. I leave scraps outside for them (and the skunks and the raccoons). We have had no issues at all, ever. And we see those critters every night. They eat a ton of ticks, and they are basically immune to rabies!
Sorry, but that won't happen here. We don't go into the woods to find them and if they infringe on coop area it is a bad decision on their part. They may not be as malicious or predatory as fox, weasels or racoons but they are all considered a threat once they enter the yard area.

Fun! I’ve never had much luck with blueberries. They like better drainage and a different PH than I am able to provide. I’m not real big on amending soil.

I just transplanted our blueberries this fall. I'm really hoping for some better luck with them. We've had them probably 5 years and though they've stayed alive, they've barely grown. I'm assuming it's from our very hard, clay dirt. I moved them to the center of our large raised bed, in a row down the middle. Hopefully they do well there.

So I got French cuckoo maran late summer. But I think they are Barred Rocks. I am not getting dark drown eggs like I should from them.😞

Did you get them from a hatchery? If so, they rarely produce a dark brown egg. You need to find a reputable breeder that actively works towards a dark egg color

Fun! I’ve never had much luck with blueberries. They like better drainage and a different PH than I am able to provide. I’m not real big on amending soil.
I never had any luck with blueberries either, so I built a raised bed last fall and had the recommended soil mix type there to control the PH level. If this still doesn't work, I'll give up on blueberries. :hit

Back
Top Bottom