Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

VictoriaTemple

Songster
Aug 27, 2018
Southern Chester County, PA
just Cook them up and feed them back to the girls :)
Oh HECK no! 😂 My flock NEVER eat eggs unless they break in the coop, then they clean them up super-quick like they’re afraid of drawing a predator. My deceased rooster Danny was a bigtime egg protector, he’d look at me crosseyed just for collecting them. 💔🌹Maybe it’s because I raise Brahmas and Cochins (and now their Easter Egger hybrid offspring), very broody breeds even though I don’t let them brood in the coop anymore. I’ve tried to feed egg to sick birds and they will NOT touch it, healthy ones would undoubtedly consider me a murderous cannibal!🥰

Edit: Naturally I enjoy their eggs all the time, I just don’t let them catch me at it!😋

OneMountainAcres

Smothered in Feathers
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 14, 2013
Central, PA
Oh HECK no! 😂 My flock NEVER eat eggs unless they break in the coop, then they clean them up super-quick like they’re afraid of drawing a predator. My deceased rooster Danny was a bigtime egg protector, he’d look at me crosseyed just for collecting them. 💔🌹Maybe it’s because I raise Brahmas and Cochins (and now their Easter Egger hybrid offspring), very broody breeds even though I don’t let them brood in the coop anymore. I’ve tried to feed egg to sick birds and they will NOT touch it, healthy ones would undoubtedly consider me a murderous cannibal!🥰

Edit: Naturally I enjoy their eggs all the time, I just don’t let them catch me at it!😋

Mine will devour scrambled eggs without a thought or pick the bones clean of a roast chicken or turkey in seconds lol

dheltzel

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 30, 2013
Pottstown, PA
Thanks everyone. I have another question: There are tapeworms and cecal worms found in my birds, so I should deworm my girls. Which one is better for these worms: Valbazen or Zimecterin Gold? They both should work. Since Valbazen is more popular, I'm thinking worms may have less resistance to Zimecterin Gold? plus, someone said Valbazen will not kill some types of tapeworm?
I looked up Zimecterin Gold (ivermectin 1.55% and praziquantel 7.75%). I strongly prefer Valbazen because it is a newer drug, so less resistance. But the best program is to use Valbazen and Safeguard (Fenbenzidol - not spelled right) and alternate between the 2 to prevent or delay resistance and get complete control.
Major advantage for me is that Valbazen does not generally need a followup dose after 10 days, as the others do. Handling all my birds for worming is a daunting task, I generally only treat when handling them for other reasons, then they get Valbazen orally and Ivermectin drops on their neck for external parasites. Ivermectin is also a wormer, so perhaps that is helping some also. Anyway, with hundreds of birds and a full time job, I do what I can do.

dheltzel

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 30, 2013
Pottstown, PA
Hey, is anybody here suddenly having difficulty selling eggs? I just put my Craigslist ad back up after taking December off for molting, same $3 doz as always, even with a discounted 8 1/2 doz special, and not 1 bite yet! WTF? My fridge is filling up and my feed bin is emptying out...😫
CL is hit-or-miss in my experience. I would put up a flyer at your local grocery store. If you are on FB, try FB marketplace, being sure to mention the health benefits of eating eggs, so they don't think you are selling hatching eggs.
A sign at the end of your driveway could work too.

Try this for an ad (add in organic if they are)

Fresh, local eggs for sale!!
Hens are laying like it's springtime! Only $3 / dozen
Support local agriculture and get the best eggs you have ever eaten.

TillyPeeps

Songster
5 Years
Oct 13, 2015
Central PA
I looked up Zimecterin Gold (ivermectin 1.55% and praziquantel 7.75%). I strongly prefer Valbazen because it is a newer drug, so less resistance. But the best program is to use Valbazen and Safeguard (Fenbenzidol - not spelled right) and alternate between the 2 to prevent or delay resistance and get complete control.
Major advantage for me is that Valbazen does not generally need a followup dose after 10 days, as the others do. Handling all my birds for worming is a daunting task, I generally only treat when handling them for other reasons, then they get Valbazen orally and Ivermectin drops on their neck for external parasites. Ivermectin is also a wormer, so perhaps that is helping some also. Anyway, with hundreds of birds and a full time job, I do what I can do.

Thanks, Dennis. I just gave them Zimecterin Gold last night. Will switch to Valbazen next time. I think Safeguard doesn't kill tapeworms, so I didn't consider it.

TillyPeeps

Songster
5 Years
Oct 13, 2015
Central PA

My chickens do like scrambled eggs either. Even there is an egg broken in their run or coop, nobody would touch it.

OneMountainAcres

Smothered in Feathers
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 14, 2013
Central, PA

If you post them on Facebook, call them "orbs" lol. That's what a lot of people do. Also you can try listing on pennswoods.net.

Last edited:

LadyBehir

Songster
7 Years
Jun 29, 2013
Lycoming County PA
Hello everyone!!! Good bye and good riddance to 2020. The chicks vs dogs didn't do so great. We lost a bunch of adults and many chicks to the huskies. Pen has been reinforced! We'll be expanding the run this spring. We'd planned on doing it last spring, but, well, life. So I am down to one lavender Ameraucana roo, 2 Lav Am girls, the BC Marans hen that maybe lays 4 eggs a year if I am lucky, 3 red mixed hens that I can't remember what they are from a friend of my daughter, and one chick that survived 2020.
We also (think I posted about it at the time) lost my MIL in July. I hate that phrase. Makes me think I should look under the seat cushions to find her. At least she got to see her great granddaughter - yeah, we took a calculated risk and the kids all went to see her before she passed. Even if I'd tried to stop them, they would have come. We took the same risk - quarantine before and after - to go to Memphis to my sister's for Thanksgiving. FINALLY got a pic or 3 of all of my kids together. And some cute pics of my granddaughter.

2021 will be better. I insist. I already have some happy about it. Daughter is buying a house next week and she's expecting her first baby in early August. Was going to fly out to CA to get the cradle my FIL made for my kids and drive it to FL but that plan got stopped. Turns out, Son and his SO will be needing it also! GRANDBABIES!!!!!!

So, 2021 is looking up. Yeah, there's still a plague. But I'm dealing with it ok.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Top Bottom