Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I just dewormed in November, and there is no sign of worm now, so I'm considering to skip spring worming. I'm treating mites now and they just had a fox attack. I think it will be too stressful to deworm.

I dewormed poultry over the winter, and only did it a second time if I thought there was a problem. I did the dog when I did them. Now it’s just the dog. He’s had an itchy bum. I don’t see anything, but it was still a reminder to do it. I think he should be wormed daily. He’s grooooooss! :sick

I dewormed poultry over the winter, and only did it a second time if I thought there was a problem. I did the dog when I did them. Now it’s just the dog. He’s had an itchy bum. I don’t see anything, but it was still a reminder to do it. I think he should be wormed daily. He’s grooooooss! :sick
The itchy butt could be impacted/infected anal glands also. Maybe express them and see if it helps.

I hatched 6 goslings this week! Every fertile egg hatched! Not all the eggs were fertile and I'm thinking that holding eggs for 2 weeks might be negatively impacting fertility for the goose and duck eggs. I only hatch chickens every 2 weeks because of the hassle vaccinating them, but since waterfowl don't get vaccinated . . .
4 were Embdens and I mailed them to Sand Hill Preservation Center. Hopefully they will be offering some of the progeny next year.
The other 2 are Pilgrims, 2 little girls. I'm keeping them, first time raising goslings.
I promise pics will follow . . .

These guys are NOT happy with our little April snowstorm. The cochin was ok trudging through the snow but the polish panicked, flew and landed in the snow. I had to go rescue him... he had no clue what to do!

20220419_103544.jpg
20220419_103559.jpg

I have had 3 hatch but my broody is still sitting on 4 eggs. They were peeping but then they got cold because the hatched chicks moved to the first floor of the coop and mommy followed -- I didn't intervene for over an hour. I think it might have killed the other 4 chicks.

It is day 23. When do we give up and take away the other eggs so broody can move on with her life?

I have had 3 hatch but my broody is still sitting on 4 eggs. They were peeping but then they got cold because the hatched chicks moved to the first floor of the coop and mommy followed -- I didn't intervene for over an hour. I think it might have killed the other 4 chicks.

It is day 23. When do we give up and take away the other eggs so broody can move on with her life?
I would candle the remaining eggs late day 23 or 24 and only leave them if you see internal pips or obvious movement. Honestly an hour shouldn't have killed them unless they were zipped and got shrink wrapped. It's not ideal to chill, but my guess would be more likely they were quitters.

Well this morning I heard peeping out of one egg. So I guess she sits for one more day! For right now I have the door to the first floor blocked, but it is tough because the other bantams break down the door in their attempt to get to the chicks.

update: 2 more hatched, 1 more pipped. Looks like we might get 6 out of 7 silkie babies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom