Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi! I'm new to this thread! I tried searching this site for reputable breeders in PA but thought this might be a better place to make connections. I'm in South Western PA, but willing to drive. (looking for some colorful egg layers to add to the flock. Not really set on a specific breed. Amuericana, Black Copper Maran, Silver laced Barn, Olive egger)
I'm starting my search to expand my flock after losing one to cancer and on borrowed time with a case of waterbelly.

I really want to purchase & support someone who is breeding with the animal's health in mind, rather than the feed stores who want them to be egg laying machines.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi! I'm new to this thread! I tried searching this site for reputable breeders in PA but thought this might be a better place to make connections. I'm in South Western PA, but willing to drive. (looking for some colorful egg layers to add to the flock. Not really set on a specific breed. Amuericana, Black Copper Maran, Silver laced Barn, Olive egger)
I'm starting my search to expand my flock after losing one to cancer and on borrowed time with a case of waterbelly.

I really want to purchase & support someone who is breeding with the animal's health in mind, rather than the feed stores who want them to be egg laying machines.

Thank you!
You may want to contact Dennis to see if he has chicks to ship. This is his website: http://welbars.com/. Many people here bought chicks from him are very happy. He breeds chickens as a hobby, not really a business. My chicks from him are always healthy and friendly. Very good quality too. I used to drive to Pottstown to pick up my chicks, but Dennis starts to ship chicks now.

You may want to contact Dennis to see if he has chicks to ship. This is his website: http://welbars.com/. Many people here bought chicks from him are very happy. He breeds chickens as a hobby, not really a business. My chicks from him are always healthy and friendly. Very good quality too. I used to drive to Pottstown to pick up my chicks, but Dennis starts to ship chicks now.
Thank you so much!! I will reach out to him!!

Still looking for Silky breeders in PA? There are some breeders that follow this thread. Not sure who breeds Silkies. Anyone?

I do need silkies but I don't have them seperated and probably won't be breeding them again until spring. I literally just shut down my incubator last weekend lol. I do have a few babies right now but I think they're all polkies... silkie x polish. They're adorable little things :)

Thank you!

Welcome to the thread! I'm near Patton, PA which is about 35 minutes NW of Altoona. I tend to hatch EEs in the spring. Basically my ameraucana hens covered by polish or silkie roos. Since my ameraucanas are either silkie feathered or split for silkie feathers, some could be smooth and others could be silkie feathered. There is a livestock swap coming up on August 6th at Tyrone Milling (starts at 8am). You might be able to find some stuff there from local breeders but as for me, I think I'm done hatching till spring. I may be bringing a few chickens and turkeys to the swap but I think most of the chickens in taking will be cockerels.

Looks like you can contact OneMountainAcres too. She has Silkies. Or I may have a chick shipment from Dennis next month, and you can add some bantam cochins to the order if you can pick them up at State College or Altoona. Here is Dennis's website: http://welbars.com.
I have a few older cochin bantam chicks, but have stopped hatching most of my breeds. It is harder to hatch-to-order this time of year because both laying and fertility are lower for many breeds in the heat of summer and as the days shorten.
I am collecting and incubating the sexlinked Ameraucanas, mostly for you, but anyone at all close to you could get some chicks at the same time. I got a new lavender rooster named Archie (he was a pet for many years that a customer raised from my chicks, but now had to rehome because they are moving to a place that prohibits roosters). Archie is very tame and seems pretty ok with his new live presiding over 15 hens ;) I will know soon if he is able to give me fertile eggs.

I have been keeping 5 young geese in a 8x10 movable pen in a hay field. I move the pen every morning and still they chew most of the grass down to brown nubs. They often leave the broadleaf weeds that the chickens prefer to eat. In a bare pen, their parents eat anything green, not just grass, so I was surprised to see how strongly they prefer to eat plain grass. They really like the immature seed heads, those are gone within minutes.
They are poop machines too, but I use a hose to spray the poop and wash it into the soil each day, and the grass looks like it will recover quickly from its major haircut and heavy feeding.
I am learning a lot about geese this year.

My first year with Ayam cemani and Ayam ketawas has been a learning process. Cemani's seem to be very fragile compared to my other breeds, including the ketawas that seem to have a land-race type hardiness and look to be ideal for free ranging / feral chickens.
I hatched close to 50 cemanis from November to March and yesterday I took all 8 of the surviving pullets and my best cockerel and put them into adult quarters. They are laying about 2 eggs a day, so I'm not too discouraged all in all. Several people have noted their extreme susceptibility to Marek's, maybe they need longer than most in bio-secure isolation to build immunity. I wonder if I gave them a "booster" at 2 weeks if that would help. I always have surplus vaccine, maybe I will try that in the future.
Breeding poultry is always learning and trying different approaches to make things better. Kind of like gardening. Our garden looks great, but only because I water it a lot, we have such a drought here in SE PA.

@Lelanae do you still need Corid? I have some you can have, you’re still in Kennett Square, right? I’m in Oxford. I got mine at Tractor Supply, it was a fairly small quantity. If you still need it, let me know and I’ll dig it out😘
Thank you Victoria. I ended up buying some and then three days later she died. I still don't know what was going on. Not anemic, not worms or lice, just not eating much at all and loosing weight with diarrhea.

Back
Top Bottom