Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I am in westmoreland county. I have 5 ameracauna chicks i hatched out. They are 12 weeks old. Out of J. Belm line. I believe they are 3 hens 2 roos. Selling them locally. I thought someone on here was looking for them. They are the blacks and carry the self blue gene. Pm me if interested.

When I add new birds, I try to make sure the new ones are at least 8 weeks. I have a small growing out coop I use after the brooder. I add the new ones at night and often keep the coop closed for a few days to force introductions. Then I let chickens be chickens.
They often force theyoung ones to stay cornered for a week or so and will chase them, but eventually they work it out. Not pretty, but they don't really hurt each other. I do provide two waterers and feeders for a while, well seperated. Once I did have to put up wire to divide the coop for week.
I check them to be sure everyone is getting food and water, and try not to get too upset when I see new ones cowering. Not easy, but I guess it's tough love. So far it has worked.

I'm thinking about getting some sand today to put in my soggy chicken run... I'm so tired of the rain and mess, which unfortunately can not be avoided due to the layout of the coop and location in the yard... I guess I didn't think that one through when planning my coop
sad.png
I was just wondering how the sand is working out for those of you that have tried it?

also, another question... it seems like you've all had either several chickens that you've hatched or traded, how do you manage to integrate everyone, or do you have several coops? I tried to mix 2 young flocks this summer with no luck, hence the 2nd coop mentioned above... I would like to get maybe a few more chickens but I think my husband might disown me if I ask for yet another coop...
hide.gif
There really is chicken math involved in all of this, isn't there?!?
hu.gif
When you bring new ones in please remember to isolate if they are new birds. 2 weeks away from your gang. And than what I do is inside of the coup I have an area that has fencing inside of the coup where I can get the new one or two ( or half dozen young ones) acclimated to the group and vise versa. And once they can associate with one another than I let them out. They spend a good bit of time in the coup at first and than start to socialize when they feel comfortable.

"I'll be ready around late Feb, early March. I'd like to just start with hens, instead of chicks, pullets would be ok too. Preferably some hens that were together already, so they'll get along. I guess around that time, maybe somebody here can steer me to a local place with a few hens for sale. I usually see them on craigslist for sale also."

Just wanted to point that out
smile.png
I realize that. I was just letting him know if he/she couldn't find hens that these places have RIR chicks available through spring and summer. :)

Back
Top Bottom